• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I think we should remember that Contador always says the oposite about his condition that it really is :)
Remeber 2013, he was saying that he is on right track, etc... Before Vuelta last years he said that his conition is not gut....

So I think that he is in superb form and the only one who can take his win I think is Nibali :)

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

The_Cheech said:
cellardoor said:
What do people think about Contador's comment that he felt better at the start of the '14 Tour? His usual obfuscation about his form or is he genuine?

I think he is being genuine. He prepared solely for the TdF last year, hence he went in in better shape. Did it matter? No. Why? Because he was so anxious to get to the mountain stages he forgot to ride the day out.

I have a good feeling about this year.

I dont think its genuine. The fact that he went out of his way to say that... is a smoke screen...usually he means the opposite. Im pretty sure that before the 2014 Tour, he never admitted he felt stronger than ever....it was only after he had to leave the race that he shared that. Before the 2014 Tour he only said he was in "better shape" Below some pre 2014 Tour quotes.

“Froome is the one to beat because he has been the best rider for the last two years. This year, though, I’m in better shape so far,” Contador said. “I don’t know if it’s enough to beat him, but I’ll try it. There are others to consider, too.”

Post Tour, he said he said something different. Pre Vuelta 2014 " stage win" was his goal....point is he always says he is less than what he really is.

Re:

cellardoor said:
What do people think about Contador's comment that he felt better at the start of the '14 Tour? His usual obfuscation about his form or is he genuine?

I think Cyclingnews translated it wrong or left out some of the context. Here's how Velonews treated the comment:

“If I had choose the condition I had before last year’s Tour, and the sensations I have coming into this Tour, of course, I would choose last year,” Contador said. “This is something unknown for me. I don’t know how my body will react until we’re well into the race. Right now, I feel good, and most important, psychologically, I am ready.”
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/the-double-behind-contadors-audacious-ambition_376063#y4FbhuzCdvQdKkEu.99

Gigs_98 said:
qwer said:
Gigs_98 said:
qwer said:
Froome or contador will wear yellow jersey after mur de huy
don't think so. Both aren't the most explosive riders.
froome and contador aren't explosive???? and they are better time trialists than valverde, purito and martin, the most likely winners in mur de huy
but not explosive in the way you have to be on the mur de huy. There is a reason why valverde won the last two flèche wallone´s and not contador/froome. Moreover if valverde has an advantage of 5 seconds on AC/CF that might already be enough due to time bonifications and the fact that valverde isn't that bad in short ITT´s
Contador did finish 3rd on Mur de Huy in 2010 (behind Evans and Rodriguez), 2nd on Mur de Bretagne in 2011 (behind Evans) and 2nd on Monte Berico in the Giro (behind Gilbert). I'd say he's punchy enough. Yes there's a reason he didn't win FW in the past 2 seasons and Valverde did and that's because Contador didn't participate. In 2014 he dropped Valverde on a short steep hill in Pais Vasco, 2 weeks before Valverde set the record time on Mur de Huy.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He was btw the strongest guy on the mur de bretagne in 2011. And guys like evans and gilbert (in his prime) were there. And the sprint was on false flat

LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
qwer said:
Gigs_98 said:
qwer said:
Froome or contador will wear yellow jersey after mur de huy
don't think so. Both aren't the most explosive riders.
froome and contador aren't explosive???? and they are better time trialists than valverde, purito and martin, the most likely winners in mur de huy
but not explosive in the way you have to be on the mur de huy. There is a reason why valverde won the last two flèche wallone´s and not contador/froome. Moreover if valverde has an advantage of 5 seconds on AC/CF that might already be enough due to time bonifications and the fact that valverde isn't that bad in short ITT´s
Contador did finish 3rd on Mur de Huy in 2010 (behind Evans and Rodriguez), 2nd on Mur de Bretagne in 2011 (behind Evans) and 2nd on Monte Berico in the Giro (behind Gilbert). I'd say he's punchy enough. Yes there's a reason he didn't win FW in the past 2 seasons and Valverde did and that's because Contador didn't participate. In 2014 he dropped Valverde on a short steep hill in Pais Vasco, 2 weeks before Valverde set the record time on Mur de Huy.

Glad you made this point. When Contador is on, he's pretty good on the steep, punchy grades. I fear, however, that folks are overlooking Murito on all of these finishes. He's the king of shortish, steep sprints and with bonifications at play, he will be a force on the Murs

Scarponi said:
How much more confident would people be if Contador finished with the group on the sestriere?

Have forgot it already. To me his take on the whole Giro was a bit below par but enough to deal with the people there, was probably surprised with how strong Mikel were (who was in peak shape) but dealt his and the Astanas onslaught in a clever way and, more importantly, on his own which could have been part of the tactics for this double. To the eye it looks as if riders like Roman and Mick made a similar approach since everyone now looks a bit leaner and sharper.

Next thing we know she´ll get a lapdance from Froo...Alberto.

Taxus4a said:
No_Balls said:
Summary of the press-conference:

"What worries me the most, because it is totally new, is how my body will recover from those efforts," Contador said in a packed press conference on Thursday. "The Tour route, in terms of its mountains, is the hardest of all the Tours I've done and in the first nine days, there are six stages which are going to be really tough. So staying consistent will be the key."

"If had to decide between the feelings I had before last year's Tour " - when Contador said he had best feelings ever prior to a Grand Tour - "and this year I'd choose last year. [Last year] I had prepared for the Tour very well and last year I was not so worried about fatigue and how I would recover.

"I have more doubts than last year. My objective is to win the Tour but I am aware that it is very difficult"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-felt-better-at-the-2014-tour-de-france-start

Well if the difference between now and last year is a worry on how the body will recover on a day to day basis, is something i can live with. :cool:
In other Tours he has rode there were harder stages.. maybe no so many mountain stages, but similar, and no 130 km ones...but longer...

Without Galibier, even soft...

Just a really hard stage in the last week could be a problem, but there is not, it depends on how some stages will be ridden.

Yes and that was basically why i got good sensations from the interview. He is obviously trying to shift the focus on the "hard" route in order to make impression that there could be times were he is worse than he actually is. The old school game were it is more pointed against the opposition rather then himself.

Re:

The Hitch said:
Who is Wolfie?
It's the Giro mascotte, I purchased one online, Lupo Wolfie is the name of the mascotte
CGPmqruWsAAF7_Z.jpg

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
How did you find out which hotel they're at, I'll go this afternoon in hope of pics as well. I also need to find Katusha and Greenedge if anyone has an idea.