• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1284 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
dacooley said:
Miburo said:
If you don't ride for the victory when your 2nd place is already certain, you're a pussy. It's not name calling, it's a fact.
what a rider should do if he's physically weaker as quintana apparently was before the toussuire stage? making a suicide attack, kicking himself out of top 5 and taking so much appreciation on cn forum boards. you are utterly harsh to nairito imo. honestly, i fail to make out a big difference between the 2015 tour from quintana and the 2007 tour frome contador before the chicken was forcibly sent home.

Oh not much lol. 2007 Contador just did close to a dozens attacks on Plateau de Beille/ peyresourde / Aubisque and actually attacked and dropped everyone with 40 kms to go on Galibier and would've made it stick if it wasn't for the huge flat part between Galibier and the short climb at Briancon.

Quintana tried in Mende, Col d'Allos, (tardily in) Col du Glandon, Croix-de-Fer, three times in Alpe d'Huez...
You can't say he didn't try.

I really don't get the dislike for Quintana on here (or anywhere). We've got a young guy who is showing a fair bit of panache and will only get better. With young Aru coming to the fore and possibly Landa there are surely some exciting times ahead..

Quintana tried

When it was tooate alright

He dropped froome like a brick on la toussuire, after waiting for the flattest part of a flat climb. Nibali attacked on the glandon that stage and it won him a lot more time evn though quintana was way better.

Then the next day, he attacked on the last part of the CdF after the hard parts and the chance to get Froome isolated were already over. Then he dropped froome for over a minute on AdH. The chance was there, and he didnt take it.

Trying and failing >>>>>>>>>> not trying, pretend youve tried and be super happy with 2nd place.

He didnt do the thing that had the highest possibility of winning, he did the one with the lowest possibility of losing his precious 2nd place.

In the tour, Id take Andy Schleck over Quintana every day of the week

Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

He dropped froome like a brick on la toussuire, after waiting for the flattest part of a flat climb. Nibali attacked on the glandon that stage and it won him a lot more time evn though quintana was way better.

Then the next day, he attacked on the last part of the CdF after the hard parts and the chance to get Froome isolated were already over. Then he dropped froome for over a minute on AdH. The chance was there, and he didnt take it.

Trying and failing >>>>>>>>>> not trying, pretend youve tried and be super happy with 2nd place.

He didnt do the thing that had the highest possibility of winning, he did the one with the lowest possibility of losing his precious 2nd place.

But it wasn't just Quintana that didn't want to risk losing his placement. For Valverde did everything to hold on to third. And here was the big tactical blunder Movistar made, if they really wanted to win. Valverde should have repeatedly attacked early to put pressure on Sky, but he didn't. In that case it was pretty hard for Quintana to ride away from Froome with a large enough margin to beat him in Paris. Valverde is thus as much to blame for Quintana's calculating effort, but this is what happens when you have a selfish teamate who thinks he is the greatest Spanish rider of all time!

Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

yes, true, but that is a post factum conclusion. before the last 6k of la toussuire stage froome hasn't shown any loom of weakness and quintana is not extrasensory to foresee the future.

He could've gone with nibali, when froome was already gone with a mechanical. Risk-free attack. Put froome on the defensive and let him show how good he really is. Besides, you should not wait with attacking until youre sure it works, quintana waited until it was too late no matter how hard he dropped froome

Re:

Red Rick said:
He could've gone with nibali, when froome was already gone with a mechanical. Risk-free attack. Put froome on the defensive and let him show how good he really is. Besides, you should not wait with attacking until youre sure it works, quintana waited until it was too late no matter how hard he dropped froome

attacking under a mechanical, classy, panache indeed.
I actually had more respect for Contador and the other GC riders that didn't attack when Froome had the mechanical, the better side of the sport for me..

rhubroma said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

But it wasn't just Quintana that didn't want to risk losing his placement. For Valverde did everything to hold on to third. And here was the big tactical blunder Movistar made, if they really wanted to win. Valverde should have repeatedly attacked early to put pressure on Sky, but he didn't. In that case it was pretty hard for Quintana to ride away from Froome with a large enough margin to beat him in Paris. Valverde is thus as much to blame for Quintana's calculating effort, but this is what happens when you have a selfish teamate who thinks he is the greatest Spanish rider of all time!

Nice attempt to sneak some Piti-hate in there! Strictly on palmares, I would still say Valverde is the best rider of his generation and yes, better than Contador, but thats a whole other discussion!

I have debated the Quintana, Valverde and Movistar-hate that was spewed in July and forth super many times and frankly getting a little bored, but here we go again. I agree with you that its totally unfair to blame it all on Quintana. Valverde definitely played a part in all of this: the aging spanish superstar on HIS TEAM finally lives up to expectations and can grab a podium spot. That was a super big goal for Valverde, we could all witness that after the Alpe. Valverde definitely played it conservatively, but honestly, I dont really blame him for that. Some would say he should have been 100% dedicated to Quintana, but a podium spot in Paris was simply too much to give up for Valverde compared to the slight chance of a TdF-win by Quintana.

I also think Unzue played a part. I was not like he ordered Quintana not to attack or anything like that, but I also do think that Unzue is a realist and was more than happy with 2 spots on the podium. I know, Quintana was within range and it was possible, but after getting clapped by Froome and taken over by fckin Richie Porte on the same stage, I dont blame him for nor trying in the Pyrenees. The alps is a different story, but the only stage I had a problem with him was on La Touissuire. He shoulda went from the bottom, regardless of Valverde or Unzue which I think played a bigger role than some gives them credit for. He just shoulda went, but didnt, which obviously was super disappointing. Valverde didnt want to devote himself for a few kilometres at 100% - he was scared of going into the red too early and losing the spot to Nibali, Contador was pretty much a nonfactor after losing 2 minutes at Pra Loup, and again, I dont blame him. That stage was definetely on Quintana's part, but I dont see where you really can blame Quintana elsewhere for riding too conservatively. I think everyone would have been a bit demoralized after that PSM-stage which sealed the race early on.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

Valverde attacked multiple times, offering springboards for Quintana, but Quintana simply didn't respond until last mountain stage, as I recall... In fact both times when Quintana dropped Froome in last stage, Valverde attacked before that. And yes, he is one of the greatest Spanish riders of all time!

Mr.White said:
rhubroma said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

Valverde attacked multiple times, offering springboards for Quintana, but Quintana simply didn't respond until last mountain stage, as I recall... In fact both times when Quintana dropped Froome in last stage, Valverde attacked before that. And yes, he is one of the greatest Spanish riders of all time!

I don't recall him attacking multiple times to set Quintana up. If I'm mistaken, though, I'll gladly accept being reminded of those times.

Valv.Piti said:
rhubroma said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana tried

Nice attempt to sneak some Piti-hate in there! Strictly on palmares, I would still say Valverde is the best rider of his generation and yes, better than Contador, but thats a whole other discussion!

I have debated the Quintana, Valverde and Movistar-hate that was spewed in July and forth super many times and frankly getting a little bored, but here we go again. I agree with you that its totally unfair to blame it all on Quintana. Valverde definitely played a part in all of this: the aging spanish superstar on HIS TEAM finally lives up to expectations and can grab a podium spot. That was a super big goal for Valverde, we could all witness that after the Alpe. Valverde definitely played it conservatively, but honestly, I dont really blame him for that. Some would say he should have been 100% dedicated to Quintana, but a podium spot in Paris was simply too much to give up for Valverde compared to the slight chance of a TdF-win by Quintana.

I also think Unzue played a part. I was not like he ordered Quintana not to attack or anything like that, but I also do think that Unzue is a realist and was more than happy with 2 spots on the podium. I know, Quintana was within range and it was possible, but after getting clapped by Froome and taken over by fckin Richie Porte on the same stage, I dont blame him for nor trying in the Pyrenees. The alps is a different story, but the only stage I had a problem with him was on La Touissuire. He shoulda went from the bottom, regardless of Valverde or Unzue which I think played a bigger role than some gives them credit for. He just shoulda went, but didnt, which obviously was super disappointing. Valverde didnt want to devote himself for a few kilometres at 100% - he was scared of going into the red too early and losing the spot to Nibali, Contador was pretty much a nonfactor after losing 2 minutes at Pra Loup, and again, I dont blame him. That stage was definetely on Quintana's part, but I dont see where you really can blame Quintana elsewhere for riding too conservatively. I think everyone would have been a bit demoralized after that PSM-stage which sealed the race early on.

I don't see how a multiple grand tour champion is less great than one who hasn't won a grand tour. In the grand scheme of things I put a multiple Grand Tour champion above a Classics one and, on this ground, Valverde doesn't match Contador's engine or natural talent.

Valverde wants to be viewed based on his palmares as the greatest Spanish Champion of his generation, but only his fans see it that way.

On the first post: He attacked on PSM, Plateau de Beille, Croix de Fer and La Touissuire on stage 19 and Croix de Fer at stage 20. But you probably wont consider them as real attacks.

On the second: Valverde has actually won a GT, so..... yeah. But it all comes down how much you value the GT's and since you are a Contador-fan, you would obviously value them a lot more than classics, at least for the sake of this argument. Oh, and I also totally disagree on your statement that Valverde doesnt match Cntador engine and natural talent or whatever. I think he more than does that.

z1yZRta.jpg

Well he isn't kidding around with his training we know that for sure. Still amazes how crazy good these guys really are when you see the hard numbers for their training.....

@Rhubroma
Valverde has won a grand tour unless you don't consider the Vuelta a grand tour. :eek: I'm sure that fact was just an oversight on your part. :) I think that Valverde should be content with being one of the greatest Spanish champions of all time. That cannot be argued. He is, with Freire, the greatest classic/one day Spanish racer of all time. I don't have a problem with him believing he is the best. It's not completely ludicrous considering his palmares. Bahamontes, Indurain, Delgado, Contador, Freire, Fuente and Ocana should all be given consideration. They are all great champions in my opinion.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
About natural talent matter, well I don't think any rider of the current generation is anywhere near Valverde. And how Valverde wants to be viewed is his matter, not mine or yours. If he thinks he's the greatest Spanish rider of his generation, he's entitled to do so, he's pretty close to that you know. I also thinks, like you, that Contador is that guy, but unlike you I think that margin between him and Valverde is pretty small.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
On the first post: He attacked on PSM, Plateau de Beille, Croix de Fer and La Touissuire on stage 19 and Croix de Fer at stage 20. But you probably wont consider them as real attacks.

On the second: Valverde has actually won a GT, so..... yeah. But it all comes down how much you value the GT's and since you are a Contador-fan, you would obviously value them a lot more than classics, at least for the sake of this argument. Oh, and I also totally disagree on your statement that Valverde doesnt match Cntador engine and natural talent or whatever. I think he more than does that.

1) They weren't real attacks, especially Croix de Fer on Stage 19. He dropped no one. It was an up in tempo, not an attack. Same goes for PSM, just evryone was crap that day, and to a lesser extent Plateau de Beille. And on stage 19 he attacked with like 5km to go, on a 19km climb. Stage 20 I'll give him, but it was a v. cautious attack, not much real intent.

2) Yeah fair enough. But i think Valverde talent = Contador talent. Very similar, very high levels of talent.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Singer01 said:
Miburo said:
If you don't ride for the victory when your 2nd place is already certain, you're a pussy. It's not name calling, it's a fact.

How did you get a masters without knowing the difference between opinion and fact?

"My second place is certain, i've been second already anyways but let's not take any risk and just go for that second while i've cracked froome like a motherfucker the day before."

Unless quintana of course thought he was gonna take all that time back in the last day when he attacked from 2km out before the end of the mountain (before alpe d'huez).

Then of course you're right, he's not a pussy but an idiot.

Re:

Mr.White said:
About natural talent matter, well I don't think any rider of the current generation is anywhere near Valverde. And how Valverde wants to be viewed is his matter, not mine or yours. If he thinks he's the greatest Spanish rider of his generation, he's entitled to do so, he's pretty close to that you know. I also thinks, like you, that Contador is that guy, but unlike you I think that margin between him and Valverde is pretty small.

Fair enough, but I can't place Valverde in the same engine. He sparkled in the Armstrong era, but then AC arrived.

In any case cycling has changed, and only those with the biggest engines have any margin of winning a Grand Tour. For better or worse, that is the verdict.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Quintana only attacked without risking anything. He didnt do it when he had to in order to win, which was on the glandon on stage 19 and on the early and steep part of the CdF a day later. But hey, at least he showed sportsmanship.

Like every cyclist

Re:

Angliru said:
@Rhubroma
Valverde has won a grand tour unless you don't consider the Vuelta a grand tour. :eek: I'm sure that fact was just an oversight on your part. :) I think that Valverde should be content with being one of the greatest Spanish champions of all time. That cannot be argued. He is, with Freire, the greatest classic/one day Spanish racer of all time. I don't have a problem with him believing he is the best. It's not completely ludicrous considering his palmares. Bahamontes, Indurain, Delgado, Contador, Freire, Fuente and Ocana should all be given consideration. They are all great champions in my opinion.

Agreed, but winning multiple grand tours is different.

For what it is worth. The only other Spanish cyclist who even comes close to Contador's stature is Indurain, who today though would not be winning Grand Tours.

Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:

1) They weren't real attacks, especially Croix de Fer on Stage 19. He dropped no one. It was an up in tempo, not an attack. Same goes for PSM, just evryone was crap that day, and to a lesser extent Plateau de Beille. And on stage 19 he attacked with like 5km to go, on a 19km climb. Stage 20 I'll give him, but it was a v. cautious attack, not much real intent.

2) Yeah fair enough. But i think Valverde talent = Contador talent. Very similar, very high levels of talent.

Brullnux: The post was directed at Rhubroma who apparently didn't remember that Valverde actually attacked, not Quintana, and also somehow forgot that Valverde actually had won a GT. Rofl.