• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1287 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
In terms of raw power without assistance
Indurain = Cance = Ullrich = Wiggins = Martin ~ 480 w
Contador = Froome ~ 430
in terms of power/weight
Contador = Froome = Quintana = Pantani @ 6.2 w/kg (ref wt 70kg)
Ullrich = Wiggins @ 6.1
Indurain @ 5.9

But there are no 80+ kg GT riders. For a GT 50-72 kg is required @ 6.2 w/kg
Indurain would have won TT by 1-3 mins but IMO Contador would have dropped Indurain like a stone in the mountains by 2-5 mins per stage and won

2-5 minutes? Are you sure? The most accurate way of comparing them is times on climbs, and BigMig is pretty similar to Bertie on most of them.

Pantani still best climber, wonderboy best overall.

Edit: although I agree with Flo.

It's very simple, Indurain wouldn't be able to compete today, at 80kg and with stricter doping rules. So if he would race today, he wouldn't be 80kg but also very skinny and we can't say if he would be better or worse than Contador. Same goes for Contador, if we teleport him to the 90s he wouldn't be able to compete, but then if he had raced in those years he would have been a different rider. So bottom line is we can't compare riders from different eras, so why the hell is this discussion still going?

LaFlorecita said:
It's very simple, Indurain wouldn't be able to compete today, at 80kg and with stricter doping rules. So if he would race today, he wouldn't be 80kg but also very skinny and we can't say if he would be better or worse than Contador. Same goes for Contador, if we teleport him to the 90s he wouldn't be able to compete, but then if he had raced in those years he would have been a different rider. So bottom line is we can't compare riders from different eras, so why the hell is this discussion still going?

Because the season hasn't really started yet, so there's not much else to talk about :p

PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:

Because the season hasn't really started yet, so there's not much else to talk about :p
Ah of course :p time for Alberto to post a picture on twitter again, so we can go back to speculating about his weight :p

Wow, there surely is some misunderstanding about Indurain's strengths in some posts.

Indurain's prowess was based on an absurdly high aerobic capacity, that combined with his power and endurance allowed him to be with the best in the mountains.

Indurain on top top form was 77-78 kg. And he was able to beat all type of rider builds, from Bugno, Chiapucci to to Rominger, Zulle to Virenque, Ugrumov or even cope with 20 kg lighter Pantani, who we all accept to be at least on par with Contador when climbing.

It really doesn't matter if he wasn't able to produce a peak of 6,2 W/kg for 20-30 min like Froome or Contador due to his weight. He would just grind you for 1 hour 15 min at an excruciating and constant 5,9 W/kg.

One could even make a bold case that Indurain could have won like half of his GT's even if there wasn't any ITT.

indurain_m5.jpg

Please let's not talk about him as if he was fat.

It seems you are the one who is misunderstanding these posts. Most would agree that Indurain would beat Contador (and all other current GC riders). The point is (as has been pointed out 20 times) you can't compare riders from different eras. If Indurain had been born in 1985 he would have been a different rider and if Contador had been born in 1965 he would have been a different rider. Any comparison is based on nothing but speculation. We don't know what Indurain would be able to achieve in present day racing conditions.

I think half of these posts belong in the Indurain thread :). Big Mig was awesome and he had his time in the sun and I loved every minute of it. Some thought he was boring, I appreciated his multi faceted skill set. He was unsurpassed in the ITT, he could climb and he was a wily racer. He was a Beast!!!

As the sun sets on the era of Contador I feel no need to compare the 2. They were/are both the best stage race riders of their times.

You just can't compare riders from different eras, it is always strictly speculation and bias at work.

Tonton said:
Great post. To me, the real debate should be: does Contador have enough left to beat Froome at the '16 TdF? He wasn't that great at last year's Giro, his best form as of recently was in the spring of '14 IMO. Two years. I think that he can do it.

That is the Big question for 2016. Can Alberto regain his spring 2014 form and will he have a strong team able to support him? My opinion is he will find the form. The team I'm not that sure of, they seem to let him down quite often :(. His 2015 Giro would have been much more impressive if he'd had a team!

I think he'll be ready to slay dawgs for a living this July :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
I think half of these posts belong in the Indurain thread :). Big Mig was awesome and he had his time in the sun and I loved every minute of it. Some thought he was boring, I appreciated his multi faceted skill set. He was unsurpassed in the ITT, he could climb and he was a wily racer. He was a Beast!!!

As the sun sets on the era of Contador I feel no need to compare the 2. They were/are both the best stage race riders of their times.

You just can't compare riders from different eras, it is always strictly speculation and bias at work.

You can compare them, compare their results, influence, dominance over the period of their own careers. You just can't compare who would beat who in some imaginary time and some imaginary races!!!

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Carols said:

You can compare them, compare their results, influence, dominance over the period of their own careers. You just can't compare who would beat who in some imaginary time and some imaginary races!!!

Sorry for not being clearer. I thought the bolded was exactly what was happening and therefore was implied.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
It seems you are the one who is misunderstanding these posts. Most would agree that Indurain would beat Contador (and all other current GC riders). The point is (as has been pointed out 20 times) you can't compare riders from different eras. If Indurain had been born in 1985 he would have been a different rider and if Contador had been born in 1965 he would have been a different rider. Any comparison is based on nothing but speculation. We don't know what Indurain would be able to achieve in present day racing conditions.

Oh, it could be that I am being too dramatic. It's just that posts like this...

ray j willings said:
I would say Bertie in top form would be way to much for Mig. IMO Only Chicken ,Schleck, Evans, Froome would stay in touching distance with a top form Bertie on a queen stage.
I think a early Armstrong was unbeatable followed by a eyeballs out Pantani from videos I have seen of him.
Before that era I have no idea its a job for the clinic to discuss.

...are so wrong that they tear my heart. I'm sorry. Cheers.

Re:

rune1107 said:
http://sport.tv2.dk/2016-01-09-contador-maaske-tager-jeg-ogsaa-vueltaen

Contador considering to do the Vuelta. It would definitely be a glorious ending to his career, if he could do the Tour-Olympics-Vuelta triple.
His comments on the team website (on the previous page) don't really read like he's really considering it, sounds more like the usual "I'm not ruling it out"

Re:

Carols said:

I'm in full agreement. Good post.

KyoGrey said:
LaFlorecita said:

ray j willings said:
I would say Bertie in top form would be way to much for Mig. IMO Only Chicken ,Schleck, Evans, Froome would stay in touching distance with a top form Bertie on a queen stage.
I think a early Armstrong was unbeatable followed by a eyeballs out Pantani from videos I have seen of him.

@Ray
Evans could at no point his career climb with a top form Contador. Andy could occasionally and Froome has been the only rider to match or surpass a top form Contador in the mountains (with
the exception of Rassmussen). Many have said Ricco could but I don't agree.

Re:

ray j willings said:

Ehh, Pantani 98-99 means Armstrong 2002 looses a minute on top of the mountain. ;) In other words, we never saw Pantani with Armstrong as it should have been. The TTs are something else, but climbing means elefantino.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Angliru said:
KyoGrey said:
LaFlorecita said:

ray j willings said:

@Ray
Evans could at no point his career climb with a top form Contador. Andy could occasionally and Froome has been the only rider to match or surpass a top form Contador in the mountains (with
the exception of Rassmussen). Many have said could but I don't agree.

I have to disagree . Evans would have had at least 1 more maybe 2 more tour wins under his belt but for bad luck. He really should have won more GT''s His form in his tour winning and WC winning year IMO showed he was as good as Bertie etc. Very underestimated rider in my opinion and his ride to chase down Schleck and dragging the whole peloton along with no team support was truly a monster ride in his tour victory.
We have never really seen Bertie and Froome on equal par i.e. both in top form. The nearest we got was 2014 and Bertie was far to strong for Froome. I hope we get a battle this year, both on form and flying but I think Aru and Astana will be to aggressive and will beat them both.
That's what makes it good though . We all have our own views except mine are right :D
On a serious note I hope Bertie has one more great season left. I'm not exactly confident after last years highs and lows.

LaFlorecita said:
rune1107 said:
http://sport.tv2.dk/2016-01-09-contador-maaske-tager-jeg-ogsaa-vueltaen

Contador considering to do the Vuelta. It would definitely be a glorious ending to his career, if he could do the Tour-Olympics-Vuelta triple.
His comments on the team website (on the previous page) don't really read like he's really considering it, sounds more like the usual "I'm not ruling it out"

I'd to see it like it. Finish close to home, little pressure to win, maybe some dumb kamikaze attacks (*** that parcours though)