• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1332 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:
I just don't think he is already in good enough shape to pull something like that off.. he needs more stamina

He had enough stamina in Tirreno 14' to pull off that amazing attack, don't see why he couldn't now. Unless he is in worse 'March' form which would be bad news.
True, but it was a different stage and a different race against different opponents.. I guess we will see.

You've been hard on him recently. :p

Re:

Red Rick said:
Winning Paris Nice matters for like a couple of weeks. at the end of the year, nobody's gonna care. He'd either have won or lost the Tour (only Olympic gold would be some salvation really). This is only an indication of form, so if he shows up on Saturday, it doesn't matter whether he wins PN or not.
you handle it from fans' point of view. winning pn would be a very good boost of confidence and help bertie to say to himself 'yes, i'm on the 2014 path and i'm gonna take it all', not to mention about factor of intimidating opponents. :)

Taxus4a said:
One of the stage contador put more time to the rest (except Rujano) was in the Giro, in Etna, 50 seconds with Nibali,...

See the slopes, even you dont have that Km at more than 9.
Wrong climb, Taxus...
tappa_09_S03.jpg

A climb a bit different Taxus.
3.5km 8.5% vs 1km 9.3% and 5km at 5.5% vs 4.5%.
Not to mention that we speak of an Alberto 5 years younger, of a different form (we were at the Giro in May, here we are at the PN in March) and even the opponents are of a different level now.
surely he will try and maybe he can achieve PN, but you can not say that the route favors him with people like Tom D, Thomas, Porte ecc

According to legend, on Etna, Alberto attacked on a 6% section with such speed that not even the motors could follow.
I have not seen such a blistering acceleration from him since that day. Of course he has won races with amazing attacks and strong performances, but that turn of speed, hunched over the bars, on a huge gear and during the attack switching to an even bigger gear, I've not seen it. Very Verbier-esque.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
According to legend, on Etna, Alberto attacked on a 6% section with such speed that not even the motors could follow.
I have not seen such a blistering acceleration from him since that day. Of course he has won races with amazing attacks and strong performances, but that turn of speed, hunched over the bars, on a huge gear and during the attack switching to an even bigger gear, I've not seen it. Very Verbier-esque.

That turn of speed in Pais Vasco 2014 stage 1 was pretty brutal as well, but that was on a huge gradient

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:

That turn of speed in Pais Vasco 2014 stage 1 was pretty brutal as well, but that was on a huge gradient
You're right, but because it was so steep it didn't look as impressive.
His sprint on Tirreno 2014 stage 4 was pretty good as well (I forgot the climb)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Time to drop everyone on the ventoux tomorrow, just for style points.

And Contador's best acceleration of all time was galibier '07, nothing comes close.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Winning Paris Nice matters for like a couple of weeks. at the end of the year, nobody's gonna care. He'd either have won or lost the Tour (only Olympic gold would be some salvation really). This is only an indication of form, so if he shows up on Saturday, it doesn't matter whether he wins PN or not.

Paris-Nice is a rather prestigious affair that people are still going to care about, even years after the fact. It's not all about the Tour, just like it's not all about the Olympics (referring to sports where the Olympics is the true pinnacle like athletics and swimming).

Had Cacho had a better career than Morceli and El Guerrouj after he'd won olympic gold (92) and before they had (96 and 04)?

Unfortunately there are some idiots out there who would answer yes.

Most of us remember Contador's 2014 season as being wonderful - despite not finishing the Tour - because he put in performances like he did at T-A (similar standard race, and almost the same prestige as P-N). Such a result matters then, and it matters now. P-N matters this week too.

So long as the riders actually get to race this weekend :p

gregrowlerson said:
Red Rick said:

Paris-Nice is a rather prestigious affair that people are still going to care about, even years after the fact. It's not all about the Tour, just like it's not all about the Olympics (referring to sports where the Olympics is the true pinnacle like athletics and swimming).

Had Cacho had a better career than Morceli and El Guerrouj after he'd won olympic gold (92) and before they had (96 and 04)?

Unfortunately there are some idiots out there who would answer yes.

Most of us remember Contador's 2014 season as being wonderful - despite not finishing the Tour - because he put in performances like he did at T-A (similar standard race, and almost the same prestige as P-N). Such a result matters then, and it matters now. P-N matters this week too.

So long as the riders actually get to race this weekend :p

Races like PN are big and they matter. However, we're way past the point where it's a significant addition to his palmares. That doesn't mean he won't want to win them, they're still important, mostly to distinguish between good and dominant seasons. TA wasn't big because he won it, it was big because of the context and the way that he did. It wasn't like 'whoooh, I won TA', it was more like 'I'm back mother********'.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Still not sure what kinda drug some of you are on.

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.jpg

This climb is more than enough to destroy everyone, especially cause of the profile of the stage before the last climb.

Reminder that Contador's best performances are never on 8+% climbs.

Re:

Miburo said:
Still not sure what kinda drug some of you are on.

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.jpg

This climb is more than enough to destroy everyone, especially cause of the profile of the stage before the last climb.

Reminder that Contador's best performances are never on 8+% climbs.
probably the same you were on when saying numerous times the 2015 giro would be the easiest bertie gt win ever...

TRENDING THREADS