• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1354 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
This guy is gonna call me out for considering people delusional everytime I disagree with someone lol, even if what I say is just common sense. Not my fault if some people post absolute nonsense on this board.

Your rhetoric is probably the most aggressive among the Contador-fans, that I will give dacooley.
Did you forget about Miburo?

No, its different from Miburo. You get the sense that Miburo is just *** around, while Blurry offends anyone who doesn't agree with him..

Dude what? Its my opinion and I don't think its far fetched at all considering Valverde's palmares.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:
There is a middle ground you know..
A ground where one could maybe reject most of what is said on this thread and still think Contador is the best cyclist
Contador has been the best cyclist of the last decade, sure.

But, for example, giving him credit for the Fuente Dé strategy, which was clearly Bjarne's brainchild, is rubbish. Sure, Contador pulled off an impressive ride, but the idea itself was 100% Riis and the Dane should take full credit for it.
Absolute nonsense.
Absolute absolute nonsense :cool:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
This guy is gonna call me out for considering people delusional everytime I disagree with someone lol, even if what I say is just common sense. Not my fault if some people post absolute nonsense on this board.

Your rhetoric is probably the most aggressive among the Contador-fans, that I will give dacooley.
Did you forget about Miburo?
I dont think that Miburo is a classic AC fan tho :D

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
What makes Contador so feared and admired in the peloton is no one knows what he is going to do...He could attack on the last climb , the first climb, on the downhill, on the flat

Even if he had a team most would not be able to stay with him as he doesn't ride to script
I sometimes think a team for him is just a social thing.... just some guys he goes for coffee with when he is training

Totally agree. Bertie is a feeling/instinctive kind of rider, so are all brilliant sportsmen whether in golf, cricket, soccer, squash or whatever. A team is a nice to have, but I don't think they are really part of his intuitive planning. Pantani was not much of a team person either, he either crushed the opposition on his own or forget about it. Perhaps this lacking quality in Froome makes people unable to classify him in the "great" or "outstandng" class. Its still a question if Froome would be half the success without the Sky train.

Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:
A ground where one could maybe reject most of what is said on this thread and still think Contador is the best cyclist

Valverde disagrees.

Tell him to get back to us when he has 9 GTS :). Bala is a grand all-rounder but won't be remembered or have the legacy that Alberto does, IMO of course.

Carols said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Tell him to get back to us when he has 9 GTS :). Bala is a grand all-rounder but won't be remembered or have the legacy that Alberto does, IMO of course.
Among July-watchers that may be the case. However, among real lovers of the sport Piti, Fabian and Tomeke will have a legacy on par with Alberto.

Cance > TheRest said:
Carols said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Among July-watchers that may be the case. However, among real lovers of the sport Piti, Fabian and Tomeke will have a legacy on par with Alberto.

I disagree but then I have the advantage of being aged and going as far back as Anquetil. I've seen a lot of cycling history.......

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. Bertie is a feeling/instinctive kind of rider, so are all brilliant sportsmen whether in golf, cricket, soccer, squash or whatever. A team is a nice to have, but I don't think they are really part of his intuitive planning. Pantani was not much of a team person either, he either crushed the opposition on his own or forget about it. Perhaps this lacking quality in Froome makes people unable to classify him in the "great" or "outstandng" class. Its still a question if Froome would be half the success without the Sky train

Great post and I don't think even the hard core "reasonable " sky fans could disagree.
At last years tour for instance Thomas towed Froome around for a week and a half. When Thomas wanted to respond to attacks but Froome nodded his head " he could not respond" Sky are all about the team. We have seen it so many times 4 even 5 riders bombing up a climb and dropping some of the best climbers in the world [ see clinic]
Bertie can survive on his own he can just follow along and use any train as though they are working for him.
What the pleased me yesterday was the way bertie dropped back and then went forward. He was definitely at ease on that last climb. I really hope we get a repeat today.

Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

He's arguably not even in the top 3: contador and cancellara for sure, and possibly boonen or Cavendish

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

He's arguably not even in the top 3: contador and cancellara for sure, and possibly boonen or Cavendish

No.... just no.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

Contador, Boonen and Cancellara in that position aswell!

I don't think that we can infer that Froome is inferior to Contador, just because he needs his team. They have different ways of racing, they're different riders. Both of them are great. Contador was 3 or 4 steps above everyone during 4 or 5 years, but since his ban Froome emerged along with Quintana.
It is debatable if Contador is past prime or not, but I think it is fair to say that his competition is far better than 4/5 years ago (except for Andy Schleck).

kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

No.... just no.

I think the pure sprinter with the best palamares deserves a mention

PremierAndrew said:
kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

No.... just no.

I think the pure sprinter with the best palamares deserves a mention
Somewhere, but not there.

Cance > TheRest said:
Carols said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde disagrees.

Fabian = yes. Tom is great but his early peak hurts. Valverde is a great rider, but in the mold of Jaja.