• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1355 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Even if his strategy was bed before he moved to Saxo (which it wasn't), it would be natural for his tactics to improve with experience
And Bjarne's reputation as a tactical genius was well-cemented years before Contador moved to Saxo.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Not great today, but still seems to be better than last year. He will be fighting for the podium in July along with many others, and won't have a difficult Giro in the legs.

kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
[quote="

Valverde disagrees.

Lol

He's arguably not even in the top 3: contador and cancellara for sure, and possibly boonen or Cavendish

No.... just no.

I think the pure sprinter with the best palamares deserves a mention
Somewhere, but not there.

Valverde: 94 Wins. (35 years old)
13 Grand Tour stage wins.
1 Vuelta
3 LBL
3 Fleche
2 Dauphine
3 Vuelta Points Classifications

Cavendish: 135 Wins. (30 years old)
44 Grand Tour stage wins.
World Champion.
Points Classification in all Grand Tours.
1 MSR
2 KBK
3 Scheldeprijs

I'd rather have Valverde's palmares right now, but Cav may well end up with the better palmares (not considering track WCs, bans or the fact that Valverde completely cost Purito the WC back in 2013)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Red Rick said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Bertie's REALLY going to miss Bjarne's tactical acumen now that he's lost his dominance in the mountains.

You're totally right, mostly because Contador hasn't learnt anything in almost 15 years in the pro peloton and because Riis' plans totally work without a team
We'll see by the end of the week whether Bertie can pull out a rabbit out of the hat by himself.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Looked so good answering Quintana that it was quite a surprise to suddenly see him dropped. Could be worse though

That's just the bad habit of following until you explode instead of riding your own pace. Would probably have made a small difference today. I still think that the base is there, but if he's had a cold, he needs to recover. I hope he'll not risk anything in Catalunya or PV.

PremierAndrew said:
kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
kingjr said:
PremierAndrew said:
[quote="

Lol

He's arguably not even in the top 3: contador and cancellara for sure, and possibly boonen or Cavendish

No.... just no.

I think the pure sprinter with the best palamares deserves a mention
Somewhere, but not there.

Valverde: 94 Wins. (35 years old)
13 Grand Tour stage wins.
1 Vuelta
3 LBL
3 Fleche
2 Dauphine
3 Vuelta Points Classifications

Cavendish: 135 Wins. (30 years old)
44 Grand Tour stage wins.
World Champion.
Points Classification in all Grand Tours.
1 MSR
2 KBK
3 Scheldeprijs

I'd rather have Valverde's palmares right now, but Cav may well end up with the better palmares (not considering track WCs, bans or the fact that Valverde completely cost Purito the WC back in 2013)
Arguably, races like San Sebastian is of a higher caliber than races like KBK and Scheldeprijs and yet you don't post them for Valverde's case. Also, if you take into account the way of winning, Cavendish is even less impressive.

IMO Cav is among the top 10 best riders (of the decade), but nowhere near the top 3.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
There goes the T-word. :rolleyes:

If your only answer to a legitimate opinion (Bjarne, not Contador, being the tactical genius) is to call someone a troll, you have a problem.