Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1472 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Old&slow said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lol.. I see Old&slow's posts have already been deleted but I just wanted to say that I thought it was hilarious he basically 100% copy-pasted his own post from 2015 :D viewtopic.php?p=1783418#p1783418
They can delete and hide the truth and only allow delusional Contador fanboy posts. But the bottom line is Contador is a third tier rider. He has never been a Tour de France contending rider and never will be. As I said in my other posts his two TDF wins were against Leiphiemer Schleck and others who could never dream of a top 10 in a tour like this years or last years.

The fanboys and the media may want you to think Contador has a chance but he has no chance unless 10 riders better than him drop out. He is what he is and that is the equivalent of Bauke Mollema and that is where he will end up again this year fighting with Mollema, Barguil, Mientes and others for a top 5-10 placement. Maybe next year he can just focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta where he can ride against riders who are not as strong or in peak form and fool people into thinking he is a great rider. All he is and has ever been is hype. Wake up in 4 weeks and we will see the same thing we always see, Contador finishing close to 10 minutes down and this forum flooded with posts about how he should have won and of course will win again next year when this fantastic series of events magically transforms him into their version of Cinderella.

I am posting this here simply to give you the chance to tell me I told you so after the race. I could do the same thing I do every year and simply post this after Contador's glass falls off and he ends ups being who he is and that's a better than average rider but not a top tier rider that can contend for the TDF. My advice is start preparing the excuses now as you will need them in a few weeks.
Want to do an avatar bet? I say AC finishes top 3 within 10 minutes of the winner. It seems you're saying at best he'll be 5th outside 10 minutes of the winner. Sound good? Please take me up on this avatar bet!

Also you say he's a third tier rider. Let's assume Froome and Quintana are the top tier. Can you name me all the 2nd tier riders who are better than him?
I would be happy to make you an avatar bet that Contador does not finish in the top 3. He stands little to no chance.

In regards to 2nd tier riders there are Porte, Landa, Bardet, Valverde and if in form Nibali. Pinot, Van Garden, Aru, and Gesink would be stronger if in better form. Usually, there are a number of domestiques much stronger than Contador like in 2013 when Kreuziger and Porte were quite evidently stronger and Geraint Thomas in 2015. Then there are all the third tier riders about the same strength as Contador such as Martin, Barguil, Meintes, Fugslang, Van Den Broeck, Mollema, Mientes, Majka, Dupont who like Contador can contend for a top 10 spot if they raced and prepared.
Have you missed the start if this year? You know, the one where he beat everyone at Pais Vasco, came 2nd in Paris-Nice, crushed everyone in the Malhao and beat Froome in a MTT? And last year where he won the Giro. And the year before that when he won the Vuelta after dominating the early season and, had he not lost time on the cobbles, was nailed on favourite to win the Tour before his crash (and Froome but he'd already crashed)? And 2012 when he returned from his ban and win the Vuelta? And 2011 where he dominated the Giro and then did pretty well in the Tour? And most importantly, all of 2009 where he destroyed everyone? Just look at subiendo como una moto if you want a comparison.
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Old&slow said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lol.. I see Old&slow's posts have already been deleted but I just wanted to say that I thought it was hilarious he basically 100% copy-pasted his own post from 2015 :D viewtopic.php?p=1783418#p1783418
They can delete and hide the truth and only allow delusional Contador fanboy posts. But the bottom line is Contador is a third tier rider. He has never been a Tour de France contending rider and never will be. As I said in my other posts his two TDF wins were against Leiphiemer Schleck and others who could never dream of a top 10 in a tour like this years or last years.

The fanboys and the media may want you to think Contador has a chance but he has no chance unless 10 riders better than him drop out. He is what he is and that is the equivalent of Bauke Mollema and that is where he will end up again this year fighting with Mollema, Barguil, Mientes and others for a top 5-10 placement. Maybe next year he can just focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta where he can ride against riders who are not as strong or in peak form and fool people into thinking he is a great rider. All he is and has ever been is hype. Wake up in 4 weeks and we will see the same thing we always see, Contador finishing close to 10 minutes down and this forum flooded with posts about how he should have won and of course will win again next year when this fantastic series of events magically transforms him into their version of Cinderella.

I am posting this here simply to give you the chance to tell me I told you so after the race. I could do the same thing I do every year and simply post this after Contador's glass falls off and he ends ups being who he is and that's a better than average rider but not a top tier rider that can contend for the TDF. My advice is start preparing the excuses now as you will need them in a few weeks.
Want to do an avatar bet? I say AC finishes top 3 within 10 minutes of the winner. It seems you're saying at best he'll be 5th outside 10 minutes of the winner. Sound good? Please take me up on this avatar bet!

Also you say he's a third tier rider. Let's assume Froome and Quintana are the top tier. Can you name me all the 2nd tier riders who are better than him?
I would be happy to make you an avatar bet that Contador does not finish in the top 3. He stands little to no chance.

In regards to 2nd tier riders there are Porte, Landa, Bardet, Valverde and if in form Nibali. Pinot, Van Garden, Aru, and Gesink would be stronger if in better form. Usually, there are a number of domestiques much stronger than Contador like in 2013 when Kreuziger and Porte were quite evidently stronger and Geraint Thomas in 2015. Then there are all the third tier riders about the same strength as Contador such as Martin, Barguil, Meintes, Fugslang, Van Den Broeck, Mollema, Mientes, Majka, Dupont who like Contador can contend for a top 10 spot if they raced and prepared.
Have you missed the start if this year? You know, the one where he beat everyone at Pais Vasco, came 2nd in Paris-Nice, crushed everyone in the Malhao and beat Froome in a MTT? And last year where he won the Giro. And the year before that when he won the Vuelta after dominating the early season and, had he not lost time on the cobbles, was nailed on favourite to win the Tour before his crash (and Froome but he'd already crashed)? And 2012 when he returned from his ban and win the Vuelta? And 2011 where he dominated the Giro and then did pretty well in the Tour? And most importantly, all of 2009 where he destroyed everyone? Just look at subiendo como una moto if you want a comparison.
You have not been enlightened! That was all against 2nd and 3rd tier competition.
 
Aug 28, 2015
633
0
0
Finally. I have lived to a day when someone says that Alberto Contador is on the same TdF GC level as Jakob Fuglsang.
 
Don't just attack the poster, think about what he's saying. Of course Alberto won his Tours under those circumstances, through no fault of his own mind you (and where was Froome then), but he's won so much more and even beat Froome at the 2014 Vuelta under more "equal terms." The thing he's not saying is that today's cycling is ridiculously fixed at the Tour.
 
Mar 12, 2009
2,521
0
0
Re:

rhubroma said:
Don't just attack the poster, think about what he's saying. Of course Alberto won his Tours under those circumstances, through no fault of his own mind you (and where was Froome then), but he's won so much more and even beat Froome at the 2014 Vuelta under more "equal terms." The thing he's not saying is that today's cycling is ridiculously fixed at the Tour.
Not attacking the poster, but no need for the obvious bait and trolling.
Re TdF I think it's nothing like compared to say 10-15 years ago. Tour is still the biggest, yes, but Giro and Vuelta are not that far anymore. Might be because of the internet age, easier to watch/follow races.
Imo of course.
 
Re: Re:

peloton said:
rhubroma said:
Don't just attack the poster, think about what he's saying. Of course Alberto won his Tours under those circumstances, through no fault of his own mind you (and where was Froome then), but he's won so much more and even beat Froome at the 2014 Vuelta under more "equal terms." The thing he's not saying is that today's cycling is ridiculously fixed at the Tour.
Not attacking the poster, but no need for the obvious bait and trolling.
Re TdF I think it's nothing like compared to say 10-15 years ago. Tour is still the biggest, yes, but Giro and Vuelta are not that far anymore. Might be because of the internet age, easier to watch/follow races.
Imo of course.
Alberto has also been the fulcrum for giving prestige back to the Giro and Vuelta. During the Armstrong era it was only the Tour. With Froome it is only the Tour. This is why I root for the Spaniard. But I see it as very, very difficult for him to win the Tour again, for the reasons I previously mentioned.
 
Aug 28, 2015
633
0
0
Re:

jflemaire said:
Interesting interview of Boonen on CyclingTips where he expresses quite a lot of respect for Contador.
Obviously censored, the most important sentence was deleted:

CT: Is Sagan the most naturally talented rider you have ever seen? If not, who is?
TB: No, he’s good, but not that good. I think Valverde or Contador. Valverde is a guy that nobody ever… I mean everybody knows him, but if you look at what Valverde has accomplished in his career, it’s unbelievable. He’s won one-day Classics over and over again, he has podium finishes in Grand Tours, and winning 25 races a year. He wins races in sprints and breakaways and on climbs and that’s true talent in my eyes. And man, he can wheelsuck like motherfucker!
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
How many more weeks until we see Contador in yellow in paris?

He's btw gonna win this tour in the ITT's ;) and i think he knows that himself.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Re:

Red Rick said:
Wasting little time to rebuild the hype train I see
There's no hype, just pure facts. Froome hasn't done a great ITT since 2013, this one suits Contador perfect.

He's already gonna win the 2nd one, you can book that one. He'll top 3 the first one.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Someone gotta bring happy faces with Blurry always being dramatic about anything. Like stage 2 of the tour is so decisive... LMAO

Contador wasn't even that great in stage 2 of tour 2014.

On Arcalis we'll know everything. Until then it'll be fun here ;)
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Miburo said:
Nothing will happen on aspin imo
Agreed.
Contador will just sit and watch.
You can compare it with the stage in the tour 2007 that Gerdeman or year after with Ricco.

20-30 guys will still be there unless sky wanna test them but i doubt it knowing the next 2 days are really hard
 
Re: Re:

Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lol.. I see Old&slow's posts have already been deleted but I just wanted to say that I thought it was hilarious he basically 100% copy-pasted his own post from 2015 :D viewtopic.php?p=1783418#p1783418
They can delete and hide the truth and only allow delusional Contador fanboy posts. But the bottom line is Contador is a third tier rider. He has never been a Tour de France contending rider and never will be. As I said in my other posts his two TDF wins were against Leiphiemer Schleck and others who could never dream of a top 10 in a tour like this years or last years.

The fanboys and the media may want you to think Contador has a chance but he has no chance unless 10 riders better than him drop out. He is what he is and that is the equivalent of Bauke Mollema and that is where he will end up again this year fighting with Mollema, Barguil, Mientes and others for a top 5-10 placement. Maybe next year he can just focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta where he can ride against riders who are not as strong or in peak form and fool people into thinking he is a great rider. All he is and has ever been is hype. Wake up in 4 weeks and we will see the same thing we always see, Contador finishing close to 10 minutes down and this forum flooded with posts about how he should have won and of course will win again next year when this fantastic series of events magically transforms him into their version of Cinderella.

I am posting this here simply to give you the chance to tell me I told you so after the race. I could do the same thing I do every year and simply post this after Contador's glass falls off and he ends ups being who he is and that's a better than average rider but not a top tier rider that can contend for the TDF. My advice is start preparing the excuses now as you will need them in a few weeks.
You are not all that bright. Considering that Armstrong, Bruyneel, and Cyril Guimard are all on record saying that physically, Contador is on Merckx's level talent wise.

“Contador,” said the legendary team director and coach Cyrille Guimard, who led three different riders to Tour wins, “has an Armstrong in each leg.”

Excerpt From: Strickland, Bill. “Tour de Lance.” Three Rivers Press, 2011-06-28. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/33Bdz.l
I don't have time to dig up the other quotes, but I think that one should suffice.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
0
0
Aspin will be crucial. Froome is so good at mountains with 5/6%. Look to his insane attack in stage 2 of dauphine 2014. And this stage will be mostly flat.
 
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Isn't there a handful of mountains before Aspin?
You mean on that stage or in all stages before that?

Just checked, there's a massive cat 4 climb with no descent topping out 20km before the foot of the Aspin. 7.7 @ 3.3%. Everyone but Kittel will hit the foot of the Aspin together
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts