• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1531 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Poursuivant said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/07/tinkov-in-tv-interview-valverde-is-jealous-of-contador-europeans-dont-know-how-to-do-business/

Valverde is jealous of Contador says Tinkoff, he claims Bertie told him.

Oleg is a distraction, talked to much about Riis too. He seeks attention.

Anyway if Alberto feels that Movistar attacked him while injured, it will only fuel the fire. Contador knows his body and potentially the form he can hit during this Tour. Maybe he can do something special, at least he will try something as we know. Maybe he will launch a long distant attack. The crash in 2014 and focusing his year on the Tour in 16 and crashing so early could have created a beast inside that he may unleash. Glad he is talking confidently, makes me think he knows something. "Climb by climb, bit by bit, day by day I am getting better,"

Re: Re:

contador922 said:
Poursuivant said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/07/tinkov-in-tv-interview-valverde-is-jealous-of-contador-europeans-dont-know-how-to-do-business/

Oleg is a distraction, talked to much about Riis too. He seeks attention.

Anyway if Alberto feels that Movistar attacked him while injured, it will only fuel the fire. Contador knows his body and potentially the form he can hit during this Tour. Maybe he can do something special, at least he will try something as we know. Maybe he will launch a long distant attack. The crash in 2014 and focusing his year on the Tour in 16 and crashing so early could have created a beast inside that he may unleash. Glad he is talking confidently, makes me think he knows something. "Climb by climb, bit by bit, day by day I am getting better,"

Yesterday Froome and Quintana marked in their diaries; "Nothing important happened today."

When it was the final day of recovery that Alberto needed before unleashing hell on his rivals :D

Re:

Red Rick said:
Ok, thanks. I'm kinda tired of seeing that climb never raced properly that I kinda want to see an MTF to the observatory high above the pass, just to be done with it and not use it again for the next 5 years.

It's unpaved up to the observatory isn't it? The scenery up to the observatory would make more a spectacular looking stage finish that's for sure

Re:

masking_agent said:
he's got to make up around 2 mins on Froome ? I dunno ? fingers crossed he can , but I've been following this sport for too many years, and personally don't think he'll be a factor in the overall gc again.. but i hope to be proven wrong :D

It's hard to do but not impossible. Might do very well on mountain TT and take back some if there.

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

RattaKuningas said:
masking_agent said:
he's got to make up around 2 mins on Froome ? I dunno ? fingers crossed he can , but I've been following this sport for too many years, and personally don't think he'll be a factor in the overall gc again.. but i hope to be proven wrong :D

It's hard to do but not impossible. Might do very well on mountain TT and take back some if there.

I think if he feels good, he will attack the sky Train in the mountains from distance and disrupt that systematic train up the mountains and maybe stress Froome out and if he is on a bad day possibly then who knows. What about Quintana though, he wont be easy to dislodge in the mountains. As a die hard fan, i hold out hope he can come around. Before the Tour started, I was somewhat skeptical of his inconsistent performances in 2015 and 2016, that he could do it this Year. He weakened in the 2015 Giro, couldnt drop Quintana at Ruud, 2016 Dauphine he shined in the TT but faded in the mountains. I may be wrong but has he won alone on a mountain since 2014?

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

contador922 said:
RattaKuningas said:
masking_agent said:

I think if he feels good, he will attack the sky Train in the mountains from distance and disrupt that systematic train up the mountains and maybe stress Froome out and if he is on a bad day possibly then who knows. What about Quintana though, he wont be easy to dislodge in the mountains. As a die hard fan, i hold out hope he can come around. Before the Tour started, I was somewhat skeptical of his inconsistent performances in 2015 and 2016, that he could do it this Year. He weakened in the 2015 Giro, couldnt drop Quintana at Ruud, 2016 Dauphine he shined in the TT but faded in the mountains. I may be wrong but has he won alone on a mountain since 2014?

All this is logical. He prepared for the double, not for the Giro alone so he had to save some shape. And then he had these episodes like the crash and the Mortirolo stage. On those last mountain stages he just did what he had to do, especially with the Tour on his sights.

Then at RdS he was recovering from the Giro, doing his first real test while Quintana, who is also a climbing class act, was fresh like a newborn baby.

And at this year's Dauphiné he showed a great condition and climbing legs, but missed some speed in the legs as he hadn't done yet any motor pacing.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Poursuivant said:

I don't believe Contador said that. That part about followers and jealousy is pathetic.

StryderHells said:
Red Rick said:
Ok, thanks. I'm kinda tired of seeing that climb never raced properly that I kinda want to see an MTF to the observatory high above the pass, just to be done with it and not use it again for the next 5 years.

It's unpaved up to the observatory isn't it? The scenery up to the observatory would make more a spectacular looking stage finish that's for sure
Afaik know, its unpaved, and at the end the road gets too bad and steep, but whatevs, climb is too brutal already anyway

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Piti is probably jealous.

Wouldn't it be beautiful if this tour is known as the tour where froome and quintana blundered on wednesday and friday. And now it's too late :cool:

a5959486ec3c6e1d756d5166b0894d4e1eec8f21682b2d6678daed61b1e86e55.jpg

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Stop it ;), he looks almost worse than Froome on the bike now, thats not a sign of good recovery.
But there is a little tiny hope if he survives today without big loss.

Re:

ILovecycling said:
Stop it ;), he looks almost worse than Froome on the bike now, thats not a sign of good recovery.
But there is a little tiny hope if he survives today without big loss.

This. Don't get to excited. Fingers crossed he manages to stay with the leaders today, there are plenty of mountains to get over for a guy riding lopsided.

Froza Alberto! Vamos!

Still trying to figure out what I think about his going to Trek. Taking Jesus is just ridiculous IMO he has so little use. I haven't heard any other rider mentioned, just De Jong and maybe Basso. I'm not attached to Specialized or Trek so the bike is irrelevant to me. As long as they give him the support he needs I'm okay with it.

Hopefully Bjarne will have a WT team in 2018, that would be ideal :)

I do know if Frank gets renewed I will Laugh every time I see him doming for Alberto :). But I can't see why Trek would renew him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
I will be laughing at Contador promoting Treks considering the disdain many of his fans seem to have for the brand

You mean with many fleur? I don't see really many complaints and fleur complains about anything, no team is good for her.

The team is *** of course but what's the issue with the brand?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Still trying to figure out what I think about his going to Trek. Taking Jesus is just ridiculous IMO he has so little use. I haven't heard any other rider mentioned, just De Jong and maybe Basso. I'm not attached to Specialized or Trek so the bike is irrelevant to me. As long as they give him the support he needs I'm okay with it.

I do know if Frank gets renewed I will Laugh every time I see him doming for Alberto :). But I can't see why Trek would renew him.

at this pace Alberto will be doming for him ;)

Guybrush said:
Carols said:

We aren't taking about this year but next. And even a badly injured Alberto is better than Frank! So quit your trolling.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Carols said:
Guybrush said:
Carols said:

We aren't taking about this year but next. And even a badly injured Alberto is better than Frank! So quit your trolling.

not trolling is a joke, where's your sense of humor! chill

Guybrush said:
Carols said:
Guybrush said:
Carols said:

not trolling is a joke, where's your sense of humor! chill

My tolerance for juvenile jokes left me 60+ years ago.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Im glad people at Tinkoff said everything was talked and sorted out because today, once again, Alberto is alone with Kreuziger riding for himself and that polish man not giving a f***

You have to miss Rogers and Basso. They were far from their best level Last year but they were loyal and more importantly they cared for AC. With these 2 guys on the team nobody would dare not to do what he was told. Id take giro 2015 team over this one anyday.