• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
buchanan said:
The Tour is just not his race and he's no longer a favourite at the Tour these days anyway. Not against Froome and Quintana. I hope he now gets a week of good rest and recovery. Forget about the Tour, then begin training for the Vuelta - and go there to win it. I wouldn't even bother with the Olympics if I were him. Just get another Grand Tour in the bag.
You're right about the Tour and him not being a favorite there anymore, but I think he should definitely focus on the Olympics. A good show here and a Vuelta win would save his season.

With his luck he will contract the Zika virus at the Olympics. But seriously, he is just not a one day rider. Never has been. He isn't even really a regular stage winner at stage races so it's really hard to picture him winning the Olympics road race. But a race like the Vuelta is perfect for him and he has obviously had great success there. Leave the Olympics to Spanish compatriots Valverde and Purito I reckon.

you think he got less chance to win ITT than Valverde or Purito or izagire or whoever the winner of Spanish ITT? errr :surprised:
I don't think he was talking about the ITT, but re your point, I think that Izagirre is a better ITT'er than Contador, although it's probably close and depending on the profile.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to the road race and specifically said so in my post.

But sine the ITT is mentioned; unless it's an uphill ITT is he really among the favourites for the Olympics ITT? Perhaps against some of the other Spanish guys, but not against the best time trial riders from other countries.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
fantomas said:
Just heard an interview with him after his abandon. He sounded ill, his voice was rough.

Might have been emotion also. Choked up, I'm sure he only quit because he had to.

EDIT: What did he have to say????

He had a fever when he woke up this morning, and with his crashes it didn't make sense to continue. Needed to get checked to see what was wrong with him.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
This is not a loss for Contador, it's the Tour that is at loss. Contador, even in mediocre form is very entertaining to watch. Just go look at the Tinkof bus/hotel before a stage, he's by far the most popular rider in the Tour.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Red Rick said:
moi123 said:
This is not a loss for Contador, it's the Tour that is at loss. Contador, even in mediocre form is very entertaining to watch. Just go look at the Tinkof bus/hotel before a stage, he's by far the most popular rider in the Tour.

Surely Sagan will have no small part in that as well

They were all screaming 'Albertoooooo' :lol:

Oleg Tinkoff at the finish line.

"Our team didn’t have a good last five days. Our captain was struggling and we had to be around him. It was not an easy time, even though Peter [Sagan] was in yellow we had to sort of manage two goals: to look after Alberto and still manage to keep the yellow jersey. Now, to me, it's kind of a relief, because Alberto is going home to prepare for the Vuelta."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-stage-9-finish-line-quotes/

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Oleg Tinkoff at the finish line.

"Our team didn’t have a good last five days. Our captain was struggling and we had to be around him. It was not an easy time, even though Peter [Sagan] was in yellow we had to sort of manage two goals: to look after Alberto and still manage to keep the yellow jersey. Now, to me, it's kind of a relief, because Alberto is going home to prepare for the Vuelta."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-stage-9-finish-line-quotes/

LOL I noticed how much they were around him--Not!

TRENDING THREADS