• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1541 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big contrast with Contador quitting and Nibali hanging in there and working for his team; I know which one behaves more like a champion who respects the TdF. Contador was fit enough to attack today, had the rest day tomorrow to recover and could have fought for a top 5, KotM or a stage win; all of which would have respected the race. But no, he quit.

Combine that with his appalling bike handling that created his own crash and I consider his reputation to be even more tarnished than it already was.

Re:

Fergoose said:
Big contrast with Contador quitting and Nibali hanging in there and working for his team; I know which one behaves more like a champion who respects the TdF. Contador was fit enough to attack today, had the rest day tomorrow to recover and could have fought for a top 5, KotM or a stage win; all of which would have respected the race. But no, he quit.

Combine that with his appalling bike handling that created his own crash and I consider his reputation to be even more tarnished than it already was.

336W6KF.gif

Re:

Fergoose said:

Did you know riding with fever is extremely dangerous? Did you see his face as he was reeled in? Have you noticed how lopsided he sits on his bike? Have you heard he can hardly use his left leg because of the bruising?
Do you realize there's a big difference between Contador's situation and Nibali's?

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Fergoose said:

Did you know riding with fever is extremely dangerous? Did you see his face as he was reeled in? Have you noticed how lopsided he sits on his bike? Have you heard he can hardly use his left leg because of the bruising?
Do you realize there's a big difference between Contador's situation and Nibali's?

If he indeed has/had fever, why in the world would you go all out on the first climb? Just for the show, like in 2015?

Well, yesterday he got dropped by like 20 guys and seemed to be improving somewhat, albeit too slow to compete for the win. Today he couldn't even follow a breakaway with Sagan. I think that's a clear indication of being worse than yesterday at least. Whether that's a fever or not we'll likely never know.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Well, yesterday he got dropped by like 20 guys and seemed to be improving somewhat, albeit too slow to compete for the win. Today he couldn't even follow a breakaway with Sagan. I think that's a clear indication of being worse than yesterday at least. Whether that's a fever or not we'll likely never know.
Chances are he has fever, he probably had some kind of problem outside of his crash/crashes, but I don't just understand why he then goes 100% on Bonaigua. I know its not a popular view in this thread, but I've seen Contador attack before, it seems, just for the show of it. For people to recognise what an attacker he is and what a refreshing rider he is, in contrast to Sky, a romantic.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
By no more than 15 guys, yesterday... And logically, guy with fever goes on attack, isn't it?

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
Seeing the current form of the opponents an healthy Alberto would be with them with only one leg

In the face of repeated examples of flops, quits, and 3rd places, it might be time to come to grips with the fact that Contador isnt going to win another Tour. Maybe a Giro, likely a Vuelta (if he makes it a focus).

warmfuzzies said:
Matteo. said:
Seeing the current form of the opponents an healthy Alberto would be with them with only one leg

In the face of repeated examples of flops, quits, and 3rd places, it might be time to come to grips with the fact that Contador isnt going to win another Tour. Maybe a Giro, likely a Vuelta (if he makes it a focus).

The years that he had a serious shot at the TdF he crashed out. 2014 and 2016 and this year I gave him a chance, but below Froome and Quintana, but he has something that others lack. A way to turn stuff upside down, but were not going to see it unfortunately.

There is a lot of crap being shot at AC currently. I read someone saying Nibali atleast honors the race, but I cant recall Nibali crashing hard twice.... And other crazy stuff. It's just a way for the haters to throw mud at him and the trolls to work the AC fans up.
Do whatever you like, but the last days when I saw AC ride I was wondering why the hell he was still there.

Re:

peloton said:
@Valv.Piti Maybe test how he feels and if he can continue?

He does look and sound fairly bad http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2016-07-10-contadors-kaempe-nedtur-jeg-skal-til-laege-og-undersoeges

Test how he feels when a) supposedly is sick and b) still suffering relatively much from the crashes? I don't think anybody would wan't to 'test' themselves under those circumstances, then again, Contador is a different bike rider than most. But it smells like an image stunt to me.

Valv.Piti said:
peloton said:

He does look and sound fairly bad http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2016-07-10-contadors-kaempe-nedtur-jeg-skal-til-laege-og-undersoeges

Test how he feels when a) supposedly is sick and b) still suffering relatively much from the crashes? I don't think anybody would wan't to 'test' themselves under those circumstances, then again, Contador is a different bike rider than most. But it smells like an image stunt to me.

AC has a lot of pride.
I find it kinda funny - he probably knew he was going to abandon and thought, screw it, let me attack.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
peloton said:

Don't see what's wrong there?

peloton said:
Valv.Piti said:
peloton said:

Don't see what's wrong there?

No, enlighten me

Edit: Whoops, misread it. My bad. I don't think anything is wrong either, I just find it funny. A warrior, a hurt one, who is proud and needed to go out with a bang. Image polishing, you can argue.

Valv.Piti said:
peloton said:

DS Yates didn't understand why Contador attacked while he knew he was suffering from the crashes and also woke up with a fever as that completely emptied his tank.
My feeling says that AC was frustated and went in the attack thinking that if it works then I can keep go on, but on the other side he was allready convinced that it wouldn't work and was ready to quit this uphill battle in which he absolutely had nothing to gain anymore, besides destroying his season.

So yeah, kind of an image stunt, but also frustation.

He was still with the peloton when he started speaking to the team car and effortlessly moved back up the peloton. He could have easily paced himself to the end, respected the race and regrouped to find for stages or KotM and generally help his team. This was the weakest retirement I've seen since the days of Cipollini.

If his health was endangers by be prospect of making an effort then his team should be punished for letting him attack over 100km out.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Fergoose said:
He was still with the peloton when he started speaking to the team car and effortlessly moved back up the peloton. He could have easily paced himself to the end, respected the race and regrouped to find for stages or KotM and generally help his team. This was the weakest retirement I've seen since the days of Cipollini.

If his health was endangers by be prospect of making an effort then his team should be punished for letting him attack over 100km out.

OMG.. seriously. If he continues with struggling wounded body, people complaining that he should be quitting. Now he is quitting, people still say he doesn't respect the race. The guy never win any way. Whatever he did, he is always wrong. I for one, who against him quitting few days ago, respect his decision. Unfortunately you and I are just a peanut gallery who yapping from our comfort of our sofa and never rides bike with injury and fever on a hot summer with 4 cat 1/HC on the menu. Hell, we were aren't even injured or has a fever. (Just injured our pride and our ass for sitting too long). Respect his decision and move on.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Fergoose said:

stay in to help his team who couldn't give a damn to help him during this tour

as a fan of Alberto i have no desire to watch him as a dom , especially for a team mate who has zero chance of winning and only a very very slim chance of getting on the podium and as a fan of his i much prefer he withdraws and gets prepared for the Vuelta

also people have to stop acting like only Le Tour is important and the other two are worthless

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Fergoose said:

I don't think I've read, in all my years on this forum, a post as silly as this.

peloton said:
Fergoose said:

I don't think I've read, in all my years on this forum, a post as silly as this.
The moderator with the smack down :lol: