• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1539 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
The question remains: what was the extent of his injuries?

Unless you think he regressed dramatically since the Dauphine, i guess it's very bad. I don't think he have pain, but the injuries clearly took its toll on him.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
You should totally forget the Tour. Its just not good vibes for him. Even his 2 official victories were not without drama. He is still a legend. He has 2 TDFs so no one can say he did not win the best. Just get to double digits now (officially) in Grand Tour Palmeres.

I think he feels the Tour is "the one that got away" and humans generally seem to hunger for that "one" even where is bad for you.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
I think Contador already decided before this stage to abandon. It's the right thing to do though. Now he can focus on the Vuelta. Also, I think that we will now hear that Contador's injuries are worse than what we've been told throughout the Tour.

They were obviously terrible and the team never underrated the injuries anyways.

Unless you think this is contador's true level knowing he's second on the uci ranking.

On to the vuelta i guess

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:
You should totally forget the Tour. Its just not good vibes for him. Even his 2 official victories were not without drama. He is still a legend. He has 2 TDFs so no one can say he did not win the best. Just get to double digits now (officially) in Grand Tour Palmeres.
Some would nuance that claim, but that is a conversation for another day.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Tour is just not his race and he's no longer a favourite at the Tour these days anyway. Not against Froome and Quintana. I hope he now gets a week of good rest and recovery. Forget about the Tour, then begin training for the Vuelta - and go there to win it. I wouldn't even bother with the Olympics if I were him. Just get another Grand Tour in the bag.

Re:

buchanan said:
The Tour is just not his race and he's no longer a favourite at the Tour these days anyway. Not against Froome and Quintana. I hope he now gets a week of good rest and recovery. Forget about the Tour, then begin training for the Vuelta - and go there to win it. I wouldn't even bother with the Olympics if I were him. Just get another Grand Tour in the bag.
You're right about the Tour and him not being a favorite there anymore, but I think he should definitely focus on the Olympics. A good show here and a Vuelta win would save his season.

Re:

Sciocco said:
Looking forward to Vuelta stages 10, 14, 19, and 20. :D
Hopefully they bring a few decent flat guys for the opening day TTT.

Boaro, Bennati, Bodnar, Sagan could all do very well in TTTs. For the mountains they might put in Hansen, Poljanski, Trofimov, Kiserlovski... And then there are the usual suspects Hernandez and Paulinho...

Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
lenric said:

Why it's a question that?! In dauphine he was on a similar level of Martin, Barde, and now he would be on the level of any Cavendish or Greipel? It seems clear that the causes are crashes. No joking

Calm down.
It's a question worth considering. Obviously his injuries greatly diminished his capacity to do something worth noticing. But those injuries weren't only superficial, otherwise he wouldn't take this long to heal. Seeing that, his participation in the Olympic Games can be cancelled. That's why the extent of his injuries is important.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It's tough to see. But his body has probably went into trauma/shock for getting the abuse in the last 7 days without a chance to recovery. Finally it gave him fever to make his stop. I respect him to abandon.

On side note: It's official every TDF "odd year" (2014, 2016), it's not his year. He never has a good luck (twice abandon - crashed out and crashed-sick). The even year 2013, 2015, he has a better chance. First bad form, second fatigue, so 2017 he'll be in top form :lol: Vamos Contador!!

EDIT; sorry the mixed up between "odd" and "even".

lenric said:
Matteo. said:
lenric said:

Why it's a question that?! In dauphine he was on a similar level of Martin, Barde, and now he would be on the level of any Cavendish or Greipel? It seems clear that the causes are crashes. No joking

Calm down.
It's a question worth considering. Obviously his injuries greatly diminished his capacity to do something worth noticing. But those injuries weren't only superficial, otherwise he wouldn't take this long to heal. Seeing that, his participation in the Olympic Games can be cancelled. That's why the extent of his injuries is important.
We really don't know. And sometimes they hide a lot of the truth. They were talking about fever overnight. TBH, whatever he had he was not fit to keep racing.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

bajbar said:
Sciocco said:
Looking forward to Vuelta stages 10, 14, 19, and 20. :D
Hopefully they bring a few decent flat guys for the opening day TTT.

Boaro, Bennati, Bodnar, Sagan could all do very well in TTTs. For the mountains they might put in Hansen, Poljanski, Trofimov, Kiserlovski... And then there are the usual suspects Hernandez and Paulinho...

Yea, I'm not too worried for the mountains. It's just that the TTT is 29.4 kms and if he gets a group like you listed he should be fine.

Jelantik said:
It's tough to see. But his body has probably went into trauma/shock for getting the abuse in the last 7 days without a chance to recovery. Finally it gave him fever to make his stop. I respect him to abandon.

On side note: It's official every TDF "odd year" (2014, 2016), it's not his year. He never has a good luck (twice abandon - crashed out and crashed-sick). The even year 2013, 2015, he has a better chance. First bad form, second fatigue, so 2017 he'll be in top form :lol: Vamos Contador!!
I just noticed that he doesnt have one single result in an even year tdf :eek:
2006 didn't ride
2008 Astana was banned from the tour
2010 he won but later was disqualified
2012 banned
2014 crashed out
2016 crashed out

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Gigs in '06 he was also banned (tour) for fuentes.

So he pretty much always got banned in even years and then later on he crashed out on even years

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
buchanan said:
You're right about the Tour and him not being a favorite there anymore, but I think he should definitely focus on the Olympics. A good show here and a Vuelta win would save his season.

With his luck he will contract the Zika virus at the Olympics. But seriously, he is just not a one day rider. Never has been. He isn't even really a regular stage winner at stage races so it's really hard to picture him winning the Olympics road race. But a race like the Vuelta is perfect for him and he has obviously had great success there. Leave the Olympics to Spanish compatriots Valverde and Purito I reckon.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
buchanan said:

With his luck he will contract the Zika virus at the Olympics. But seriously, he is just not a one day rider. Never has been. He isn't even really a regular stage winner at stage races so it's really hard to picture him winning the Olympics road race. But a race like the Vuelta is perfect for him and he has obviously had great success there. Leave the Olympics to Spanish compatriots Valverde and Purito I reckon.

you think he got less chance to win ITT than Valverde or Purito or izagire or whoever the winner of Spanish ITT? errr :surprised: