• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I seriously doubt that Contador lacks self-criticism.
Just because it doesn't transpires to the public (at least, 100% explicitly), it doesn't mean he's an arrogant man.
For example, he recognized his sub-par performance in 2013's Tour. Not only through words, but mainly through actions, hence arising his need to improve his training, diet and several other things, such as his cadence, which he did successfully in 2014 and in 2016.

Successful people are their own biggest critics. Because only through acknowledging their own mistakes they're able to perform and keep being the best (or one of the best).

What one can state is that Contador isn't the most honest rider, particularly when talking to the media. But again, he isn't paid to be honest to the public, but to win races.

Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
ninjadriver said:
Once again, "I heard repeated interviews, including with the DS of Tinkoff on The Telegraph Cycling Podcast, that Kreuziger expressly went against team orders, not that he was unaware of team orders."

The DS and another Tinkoff representative stated on the podcast that Kreuziger received the message and went AGAINST team orders. Both men then spoke after the stage that day with Kreuziger to set him straight.

I heard that directly from the DS' mouth. Feel free to download the relevant The Telegraph podcast on which the interview appears.
If you thihnk that I don't believe you, that's not the case.
Once again, I heard interview with Kreuziger where he explicitly said he did not hear team orders because radio was not working. I heard that directly from Kreuziger's mouth.

Edit: anyway it is not important so much what is or what is not truth, Contador clearly wasn't in competitive state. For me much more important is, that to call out Kreuziger (agaisnt his word) in this situation made no sense, neither by DS nor by Contador and it was low act. Contador lost my respect. At the end, if Kreuziger really disobeyed, we know now that he was right.

In other words, drowning Contador lacking self-criticism was going to pull Kreuziger down to the depth with him. If Kreuziger disobeyed, he made right choice.
It's possible that Contador was pretty piss** off because of second stage where team went for Sagan and not for him (which was only logical decision) with Kreuziger being one of the main domestiques working for Sagan there.

Boy this is getting OLD!!!!

Taxus4a said:
Red Rick said:
So. Any idea or rumors what Vuelta prep is gonna look like? I think this time he actually has time to ride a race.

There is not better prep to la Vuelta than half a Tour and latter Burgos. But just Half a Tour is a really good oe. He will be fresh ad he will finish strong.
Tinkoff doesn't appear in writing for burgos

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site

Kokoso said:
ninjadriver said:
Once again, "I heard repeated interviews, including with the DS of Tinkoff on The Telegraph Cycling Podcast, that Kreuziger expressly went against team orders, not that he was unaware of team orders."

The DS and another Tinkoff representative stated on the podcast that Kreuziger received the message and went AGAINST team orders. Both men then spoke after the stage that day with Kreuziger to set him straight.

I heard that directly from the DS' mouth. Feel free to download the relevant The Telegraph podcast on which the interview appears.
If you thihnk that I don't believe you, that's not the case.
Once again, I heard interview with Kreuziger where he explicitly said he did not hear team orders because radio was not working. I heard that directly from Kreuziger's mouth.

Edit: anyway it is not important so much what is or what is not truth, Contador clearly wasn't in competitive state. For me much more important is, that to call out Kreuziger (agaisnt his word) in this situation made no sense, neither by DS nor by Contador and it was low act. Contador lost my respect. At the end, if Kreuziger really disobeyed, we know now that he was right.

In other words, drowning Contador lacking self-criticism was going to pull Kreuziger down to the depth with him. If Kreuziger disobeyed, he made right choice.
It's possible that Contador was pretty piss** off because of second stage where team went for Sagan and not for him (which was only logical decision) with Kreuziger being one of the main domestiques working for Sagan there.

It's irrelevant if Contador was competitive on that stage, Roman had one job and that was to help to limit any time loss. I'm still puzzled why he didn't wait, even more as he saw with his own eyes Contador had been gapped.
Anyway it doesn't matter now, hope he has a smooth recovery.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

peloton said:
It's irrelevant if Contador was competitive on that stage, Roman had one job and that was to help to limit any time loss. I'm still puzzled why he didn't wait, even more as he saw with his own eyes Contador had been gapped.
Nah, it is not irrelevant. Anyway the photo that appeared here proves that he actually waited for Contador when he saw him.

Kokoso said:
peloton said:
Nah, it is not irrelevant. Anyway the photo that appeared here proves that he actually waited for Contador when he saw him.

Then what about the "I couldn't hear what they said on the radio" defense?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site

Kokoso said:
peloton said:

He was told to stay by him even before the stage. Contador said it was Roman's choice not to wait.
Was bummed to see that as they've been teammates for years, and appeared to be in very good terms too.

But, it's all gone now, I still like Roman a lot and hope he'll do well.

And to get back on topic, really hope he'll be ready for Vuelta. And interesting that the Trek deal is apparently done.

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

Doctor suggest Contador stay off the bike for 2 weeks. He will be back on 6-7 days, imo or less. Also I believe he will be in Rio and 100% be at the 2016 Vuelta.

He said this on his twitter page in 2014 “Bad day, the wound healing gets complicated, I’ve no date to take the bike. Goodbye to the Vuelta.”

contador922 said:
Doctor suggest Contador stay off the bike for 2 weeks. He will be back on 6-7 days, imo or less. Also I believe he will be in Rio and 100% be at the 2016 Vuelta.

He said this on his twitter page in 2014 “Bad day, the wound healing gets complicated, I’ve no date to take the bike. Goodbye to the Vuelta.”

Different kind of injury.

Matteo. said:
Taxus4a said:
Red Rick said:
So. Any idea or rumors what Vuelta prep is gonna look like? I think this time he actually has time to ride a race.

There is not better prep to la Vuelta than half a Tour and latter Burgos. But just Half a Tour is a really good oe. He will be fresh ad he will finish strong.

And riding 8 stages of a TdF nursing injuries isn't good preparation for anything.

Publicus said:
Matteo. said:
Taxus4a said:
Red Rick said:

And riding 8 stages of a TdF nursing injuries isn't good preparation for anything.

He has those km on his legs...broke muscles is not and injury, it is just an injury for pro sportmen, no for normal people.

The prep was done before, half a Tour is good to dont lose the shape but not too much to get tired for la Vuelta

Taxus4a said:
Publicus said:
Matteo. said:
Taxus4a said:
Red Rick said:

He has those km on his legs...broke muscles is not and injury, it is just an injury for pro sportmen, no for normal people.

The prep was done before, half a Tour is good to dont lose the shape but not too much to get tired for la Vuelta

A torn muscle is an injury. Riding 8.5 stages injured isn't prep for the Vuelta. You can continue to argue otherwise, but you look silly doing so.

Jelantik said:
Well at least you can see top 10 of contador's career win rather than arguing about Kreuziger's incident. (then you can argue back and forth again whether no.1 should 3, or 10 should 7 or this win should be included.. you know the drill.. :lol: :lol:)
Enjoy.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Top+10+Alberto+Contador+Career+Wins&dashboard=&id=pQDe56eAw0w&yr=2016

Thanks so much, great vid. Of course I must say that Etna, one of my all time favorites is missing! :D

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

peloton said:
Contador said it was Roman's choice not to wait.
Don get why so much people are bummed that Kreuziger didn't obey self-criticism lacking man who clearly was overestimating himself. When someone jumps down the rock certainly resulting in death, will you do that too because someone told you?
There was no need of ritual sacrifice.

I reckon they get along in professional way, but Contador never really liked Kreuziger. I think he has perceived Kreuziger as a threat to him, especially after 2013 Tour. Lately I suspect their relationship got worse and I think withdrawing Kreuziger from TdS played role there and than Dauphine where Kreuziger was in the break and could go for stage win but was pulled back. Which I'd understand if he was gutted for because Contador proclaimed all the time that Dauphine is only preparation and result is not so important there. In fact, Kreuziger was never allowed to go for stage win over the years with Contador, that really sticks out. Contador never mentioned Kreuziger, too. Which is strange as he probably was his best helper or most visible helper over the years, you can say his right hand.

Edit: all that are of course just my speculations.

Kokoso said:
I reckon they get along in professional way, but Contador never really liked Kreuziger. I think he has perceived Kreuziger as a threat to him, especially after 2013 Tour..

Mate, please stop this speculation. We will never know the details and there is no point in building these theories. Czech fans are notorious underdogs and they always have a feeling that the world is treating czech sportsmen bad. During the first week of giro 2015 a lotta czech fans called for a free role for Roman and accused AC to pathetically fight Roman to stay the only leader.
I don't know how they get along with each other and I don't dare to try to get to know - it is impossible. What I know is that Bertie was never ever afraid of Roman, that doesn't make any sense. This ia something that czech fans angrilly dream of. Regarding the relationship - even before they joined the same team, they were on good terms, once during Giro 2011 there were 3 places in Astana's helicopter and besides Roman and Paolo Tiralongo, SaxoBank's Contador was there. It is impossible that they would have hated each other at that time and that they would hated each other at the time when Roman joined Saxo.

I don't know what Bertie ever said or said not about Roman. Maybe Fleur could find something? I suppose Bertie respects Roman fully and that he was very thankful for Roman's help, especially in Tour13. On the other hand, the Tinkoff team has been *** since 2014 and there were stages when Roman and the others should have been with Bertie and they were not. I don't think that Bertie has ever complained about that.

As for my personal opinion: someone *** that stage up. Probably Roman, could have been the team and now they are lying about that. I think it was Roman. On the other hand - everyone makes a mistake and Roman was a superloyal domestique for years. That's why we should get over it and I am sure Bertie has gotten over it - if it was Roman's fault. Roman is a nice guy and a gentleman. If someone thinks otherwise, please rewatch the last mountain stage of Tour13, after working for Alberto the whole GT, Roman was helped a bit by Jesus - immediatelly in the finish, Roman said a big thank you to him and mentioned him also in interviews.

What's most surprising is the long discussion :)

And once more again: please don't bring the virtual *** of Alberto Contador fighting Roman Kreuziger and being scared of Roman as a replacement leader. That's a story for The Sun, womanmagazines, Blesk, Spy, Hrom or I don't know what.

Good luck to both Roman and Alberto :)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Jakub said:
Mate, please stop this speculation.
Man, both you and me really know nothing; I'm speculating, you are speculating.

Edit: I have to agree with this: "Czech fans...have a feeling that the world is treating czech sportsmen bad. "
I can't agree with the always word, that's just unjustified generalization of course.

And I'm not sure whether fans of all world arent's the same, you know :rolleyes: As far as this forum goes, they are. I don't know what do you base your opinion on Czech fans on, what nations you are comparing etc.

Kokoso said:
peloton said:
Contador said it was Roman's choice not to wait.
Don get why so much people are bummed that Kreuziger didn't obey self-criticism lacking man who clearly was overestimating himself. When someone jumps down the rock certainly resulting in death, will you do that too because someone told you?
There was no need of ritual sacrifice.

I reckon they get along in professional way, but Contador never really liked Kreuziger. I think he has perceived Kreuziger as a threat to him, especially after 2013 Tour. Lately I suspect their relationship got worse and I think withdrawing Kreuziger from TdS played role there and than Dauphine where Kreuziger was in the break and could go for stage win but was pulled back. Which I'd understand if he was gutted for because Contador proclaimed all the time that Dauphine is only preparation and result is not so important there. In fact, Kreuziger was never allowed to go for stage win over the years with Contador, that really sticks out. Contador never mentioned Kreuziger, too. Which is strange as he probably was his best helper or most visible helper over the years, you can say his right hand.

Edit: all that are of course just my speculations.

Make up your mind. Either he heard the DSS's order and ignored it as you imply in your first bolded sentence or he didn't. It seems to me that it's your contention that Kreuziger shouldn't have been working for Contador anyway but if that is the case and that is Kreuziger's belief then maybe he should've been riding in the Tour of Poland and not the Tour.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Angliru said:
It seems to me that it's your contention that Kreuziger shouldn't have been working for Contador anyway
No, I think Kreuziger should ride for Contador at the Tour. I only think he shouldn't ride for ill Contador who can't finish the Tour.
Edit: I'm little bit annoyed with you for putting words in my mouth I never said earlier.

TRENDING THREADS