• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1559 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Agree with Miburo. Today is a day we're gonna miss Contador. In '09 or '11 shape he could have shred the race to pieces.

Yes it's a pity we're not in 2009 anymore. Or maybe 2011. Or perhaps 2014, but with no crashes. :rolleyes:

But don't worry too much - apparently the 2016 virtual Alberto Contador is still participating in this current Tour, has won every key stage, and is going to be the overall winner in Paris by at least 15 minutes.
I don't know about 2014, hard to tell how strong he was, and regardless I don't think he would have been capable of taking back 2.5 minutes from Nibali.

Oh he can beat Nibali all right. No problem there. Even with 2.5 minutes down (or at least in 2014 he could).

Its Froome that is the problem

Re:

ppanther92 said:
I think its fair to assume peak Schleck and Contador were on par climbing wise with peak Froome (2009 Ventoux vs. 2013 Ventoux), but to actually win they would have a hard time too. (superior Sky Team, Froome killing it on the flats, the short uphill finishes and the timetrials)
You do realise that Contador beat Cancellara in a time trial while he was in prime..

The Hitch said:
Hugo Koblet said:
buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Agree with Miburo. Today is a day we're gonna miss Contador. In '09 or '11 shape he could have shred the race to pieces.

Yes it's a pity we're not in 2009 anymore. Or maybe 2011. Or perhaps 2014, but with no crashes. :rolleyes:

But don't worry too much - apparently the 2016 virtual Alberto Contador is still participating in this current Tour, has won every key stage, and is going to be the overall winner in Paris by at least 15 minutes.
I don't know about 2014, hard to tell how strong he was, and regardless I don't think he would have been capable of taking back 2.5 minutes from Nibali.

Oh he can beat Nibali all right. No problem there. Even with 2.5 minutes down (or at least in 2014 he could).

Its Froome that is the problem
It's pointless really to discuss. I don't think so, you do. The Nibali fans don't think so, the Contador fans do. The bookies didn't think so. We'll never find out.

SilentAssassin said:
arvc40 said:
My God, Cycling needs Contador, just to be in the race makes it better

Why? Contador is absolutely done. He has been getting destroyed by Froome year after year. Injury or not, he would be destroyed by Froome. What I'd like to see is prime Froome versus Prime Lance Armstrong. That's the only way Froome gets competition. Not impossible to do, just need a Delorion, Michael J. Fox, and an old white guy who doesn't dye his hair black.
Meh even if he can't beat Froome like you say he broke the entire sky train by himself in the Dauphine and forced Froome to chase by himself for a little while. No one has got close to getting Froome to by himself yet.

Re:

LeSensei said:
After the big disappointment in the Tour I'm excited for the Vuelta. This will be just like in 2014 guys, the form is still there. I will be at the podium in Madrid when the man Guillen hands him his 4th Vuelta. :D

Yes, it should be easy for him...Fresh, with half a Tour in his legs, and going for all to la Vuelta to justify his status.

In front, people tired or not with the same motivation after Tour and Olimpics and people as Chaves, in theory not so good rider as him, ot kruijswick.

Something similar to 2 year ago.

So she should win again... but we will see, Froome is Froome and he could beat him even in this way. Could be a very interesting race despite the bad route

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
LeSensei said:
After the big disappointment in the Tour I'm excited for the Vuelta. This will be just like in 2014 guys, the form is still there. I will be at the podium in Madrid when the man Guillen hands him his 4th Vuelta. :D

Yes, it should be easy for him...Fresh, with half a Tour in his legs, and going for all to la Vuelta to justify his status.

In front, people tired or not with the same motivation after Tour and Olimpics and people as Chaves, in theory not so good rider as him, ot kruijswick.

So she should win again... but we will see, Froome is Froome and he could beat him even in this way. Could be a very interesting race despite the bad route
Vuelta 2012... froome has zero chances against contador

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
By how many minutes do you guys think Alberto would have won this tour had he not crashed? Personally I think by at least two minutes, reall shame he crashed out but at least he will be supermotivated next year on the tenth anniversary of his first win.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
By how many minutes do you guys think Alberto would have won this tour had he not crashed? Personally I think by at least two minutes, reall shame he crashed out but at least he will be supermotivated next year on the tenth anniversary of his first win.

Similar level to Porte, so figthen for the podium. What is true is that with his explositity he would have attack more times than now so the Tour would be much better.

portugal11 said:
Taxus4a said:
LeSensei said:

Vuelta 2012... froome has zero chances against contador

Vuelta 2012 was thefirst time Froome tried a uble, and you must know that always forst time a rider do 2 big tours in a year, and more in a row, he acusse that. Now Froome is an stronger an more experience rider.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Deleted several posts that were all about Froome, if you want to talk about Froome he has a thread.

This is for talk about Contador.

Why did you delete me post saying Contador is gonna crush Froome in the vuelta.

The thread can't be 100% about contador without sometimes mentioning another rider, that's just silly.

Miburo said:
Pricey_sky said:
Deleted several posts that were all about Froome, if you want to talk about Froome he has a thread.

The thread can't be 100% about contador without sometimes mentioning another rider, that's just silly.

If that's the case then apologies, there were lots of posts just talking about Froome/Sky without any reference to Contador, I might have deleted yours by mistake.

and yes your right, a fresher Contador should beat a Froome who's done the Tour and Olympics, if he didn't then there's no hope for him next year.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

perico said:
With the possible signing of Pantano, Trek seems very dedicated to upgrading their talent around Contador. Pantano can hold his own against any of the Sky train.
Or around Mollema, or they are just signing free rider as it's totally normal in cycling with no relation to Contador at all.
Anyway I disagree; Pantano is not as strong as some Henao "trainers"...Poels, Thomas, Sergio Henao, Nieve all are better in the mountains.

Pricey_sky said:
Miburo said:
Pricey_sky said:

If that's the case then apologies, there were lots of posts just talking about Froome/Sky without any reference to Contador, I might have deleted yours by mistake.

and yes your right, a fresher Contador should beat a Froome who's done the Tour and Olympics, if he didn't then there's no hope for him next year.

It depends how his 2 torn muscles and hamstring heal so that he can prepare properly. He might come in under cooked, but has a good base.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Jakub said:
Well, I hope that Trek is not a stupid team and that they understand that the only way how to win the Tour is to build up a strong team.
No, as far as I know Trek think that the right way to win anything is to make team as weak as possible.