• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1597 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
First emotions over people? Maybe crash didn't affect him much, you never know. Maybe it's terrible, maybe he won't feel much tomorrow.

We'll see, no one knows.
Did you see his face when he crossed the line? He looked pissed - his "not this **** again"-face. He probably realized he threw it all away there.

Of course he'll think that after the crash, not even he knows how it'll affect him.

LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Think Contador needs a change of strategy for 2017 - Think his form is good but he is making silly mistakes in major races - Maybe he can wind up this season and start 2017 in Australia - Stretch his legs and gain confidence.
Oh no - I see that going horribly wrong. He should prepare as usual, ride Paris-Nice, Catalunya and for the love of god aim for the Giro, not the Tour.

Catalunya is a kinda sucky race for Contador, I'd much rather have him racing in Pais Vasco if I was his fan (and would anyway), but it will maybe complicate things if you are doing the Giro. ;)

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
yaco said:
Think Contador needs a change of strategy for 2017 - Think his form is good but he is making silly mistakes in major races - Maybe he can wind up this season and start 2017 in Australia - Stretch his legs and gain confidence.
Oh no - I see that going horribly wrong. He should prepare as usual, ride Paris-Nice, Catalunya and for the love of god aim for the Giro, not the Tour.

Catalunya is a kinda sucky race for Contador, I'd much rather have him racing in Pais Vasco if I was his fan (and would anyway), but it will maybe complicate things if you are doing the Giro. ;)
Yeah I feel the same but as you say he personally doesn't want to combine it with the Giro. But all that is hypothetical anyway, he'll focus on the Tour and fail yet again.

CheckMyPecs said:
Gigs_98 said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Jelantik said:
Ow well, after back to back loosing time, now he can't even stay upright on his bike. I'm beginning to think that he should have retired. He crashed on every GT he enters, what's up with that? Bad luck or bad bike handling? Looks like Froome and Quintana will be cruising and win Vuelta. I'm just waiting for announcement that Contador pulling out.
There's a big elephant in the room and everyone refuses to acknowledge it because it negates the low-weight cult.
STOP IT!
There isn't one person on this forum who agrees with you and it won't change no matter how often you write the same post. The only thing you do is to annoy people who actually want to write about Contador, his bike handling and you know, just everything which has something to do with Contador and not upper body strength.
Some people regularly bring up the need to reduce team sizes, and they are probably right.
Some people regularly bring up the possibility of introducing salary caps, and they are probably right.
Some people regularly bring up necessary changes in UCI governance, and they are probably right.
I regularly bring up the importance of developing upper-body muscles in cyclists, and I am probably right.

Do I have less of a right to state my opinion than these other people do?

In your case definately. Stop ridiculing yourself.

Tomorrow's stage is going to be even more important than Lagos under the current circumstance's.
Previous time they've visited Camperona he manged his effort well. Without today's spill, I would've expected similar performance, but it's different situation now

CN Report: When he finally stopped a few hundred metres after the line, Contador was visibly furious, saying, “I was really well positioned, but suddenly somebody who doesn’t like using their brakes pulled across and I went down. Right now my left side is cut up, so is my wrist… things are getting really complicated.”

The Tinkoff rider then pedalled on, but not - in a very rare public show of anger and frustration - before pulling a bidon out of its cage and hurling it to the ground in rage.

Wow.. He is FURIOUS!

Re:

silvergrenade said:
CN Report: When he finally stopped a few hundred metres after the line, Contador was visibly furious, saying, “I was really well positioned, but suddenly somebody who doesn’t like using their brakes pulled across and I went down. Right now my left side is cut up, so is my wrist… things are getting really complicated.”

The Tinkoff rider then pedalled on, but not - in a very rare public show of anger and frustration - before pulling a bidon out of its cage and hurling it to the ground in rage.

Wow.. He is FURIOUS!

I'm upset. I can't imagine how frustrating this is for him. Man, I hope things turn around!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
fortunatley he did hit a full stop when he fell, but slid across the tarmac. Obviously a lot of cuts, but doubt it he wil lhave any siginifant injuries to muscles or bones. If he can stay with the best okish next few days we still might see him do really well in a weeks time :)

Exactly :)

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
First emotions over people? Maybe crash didn't affect him much, you never know. Maybe it's terrible, maybe he won't feel much tomorrow.

We'll see, no one knows.
Did you see his face when he crossed the line? He looked pissed - his "not this **** again"-face. He probably realized he threw it all away there.

No it was too soon after the crash and end of the stage to judge and say that he thinks "he threw it all away". Emotions running rampant along with adrenalin. The only thing we can be sure of is him being frustrated by all of his crashes. The fact that someone else's careless recklessness was the cause is partially what fueled his anger. Better he be angry than to have given up all hope which I don't think he will unless injuries are worst than they appeared. I'm not giving up hope yet of at minimum a strong performance and improved form by him.

He's like my home team even though I live thousands miles away. He's the rider that grabs my attention the most and that I root for to succeed. I think part of it is that his path hasn't been smooth. He's had multiple obstacles and failures to go along with his victories. He still has the mindset that he is there to put on a show along with compete for the win. He recognizes sport is entertainment and he's been given a gift that he hasn't wasted, one that he puts to use virtually every time he clicks in the pedals at the start of a race. I guess his passion and charisma on the bike and off is hard to not find appealing. Of course that is a personal thing.

Re:

lenric said:
On what side did he fall today? If it was on the same side that got severely injured in France then he may have a big problem, otherwise he'll have a medium sized problem, that is having trouble at sleeping.
He fell on his right side in stage 1, left side on stage 2. Biggest injuries were sustained in the stage 2 crash. Today he also crashed on his left side.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The crash was only Contador's fault. No bad luck at all. Video clearly shows he slowed down to the bend but no one forced him to slow down, the lane was clear, no one blocked him. If he rode same speed as guy on his right side, he would be in front of van der Sande and avoid the crash.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
On what side did he fall today? If it was on the same side that got severely injured in France then he may have a big problem, otherwise he'll have a medium sized problem, that is having trouble at sleeping.
He fell on his right side in stage 1, left side on stage 2. Biggest injuries were sustained in the stage 2 crash. Today he also crashed on his left side.
He's a lefty, you're saying?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
It doesn't necesarilly matter much on what side you fall, worse injuries can result not from direct hit.

Kokoso said:
lenric said:
It doesn't necesarilly matter much on what side you fall, worse injuries can result not from direct hit.

That's why I wrote "may".

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:

Too bad. If those injuries didn't heal properly, then he might have a relapse.

TRENDING THREADS