• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1601 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
What a mountain, I was saying they are better off walking...ha-ha. And it seems like 2 more days of these kind of mountains. I am glad AC did the right thing, ride at your own pace. Froome is clearly tired, he has to be super human to not be after his schedule, I am expecting a downslide especially with 2 more days of these kind of mountains. I think Bertie came out of this with plenty of momentum and confidence. He needs that. more of that and he will get stronger, its in the mind. Body wise I think he is good.

Now, Quintana, when will the TDF hit his legs? Its got to, we will know better on monday.

Re:

jilbiker said:
What a mountain, I was saying they are better off walking...ha-ha. And it seems like 2 more days of these kind of mountains. I am glad AC did the right thing, ride at your own pace. Froome is clearly tired, he has to be super human to not be after his schedule, I am expecting a downslide especially with 2 more days of these kind of mountains. I think Bertie came out of this with plenty of momentum and confidence. He needs that. more of that and he will get stronger, its in the mind. Body wise I think he is good.

Now, Quintana, when will the TDF hit his legs? Its got to, we will know better on monday.
I'm not sure. He had one bad day in the Vuelta last year but that was in the middle of the race. It actually even looked as if he became better at the end. However while I'm not sure if Quintana will get worse, I am pretty sure Contador will get better and there is an ITT which doesn't suit Quintana at all. It will be very interesting.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Woow woow!! That hype train is becoming huge!!

Normally Quintana and Contador should prevail in the third week. And Alberto should be a bit fresher then the Colombian.

Re: Re:

Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Contador's injuries are a big factor though, it is possible he hasn't had the full effect of them.

that's what he said after the finish :

he worked hard with the phsyio yesterday evening, but sometimes you feel more the second day after a crash....

Yep, especially after a tough stage like today he could be in for a very painful night tonight and tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think Contador rode smart today. When Froome attacked, and he got dropped.. he rode his own tempo. . I was like.. here we go again.. (really??? Contador got dropped by TDF/Rio leg?). Then Quintana left Froome in the dust. Froome slowly exploding .. next thing camera zoomed.. here comes Contador passed Froome. Wow, that sight alone? PRICELESS :D I can't believe my eyes. I was convinced that today Contador will loose more time to Froome.

Pantani Attacks said:
Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Contador's injuries are a big factor though, it is possible he hasn't had the full effect of them.

he worked hard with the phsyio yesterday evening, but sometimes you feel more the second day after a crash....

Yep, especially after a tough stage like today he could be in for a very painful night tonight and tomorrow.
Today's stage wasn't tough at all. It just had a very intense but very short effort at the end.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:

In working out, if I over do it, I feel the next day. If its a normal workout, I feel it two days after. Two days after means its not bad at all. If he felt it today, then its really bad.

jilbiker said:
Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:

In working out, if I over do it, I feel the next day. If its a normal workout, I feel it two days after. Two days after means its not bad at all. If he felt it today, then its really bad.

Working out muscle fatigue and damage =/= crash muscle fatigue and damage.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
This stage could be a "eye open" to contador. He is the best at managing efforts, that's why he is so strong in hilly tt. If he changes his approach and starts to race at his own rhytim, he could win a tour in the future

Gigs_98 said:
Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Tomorrows finish is way easier though. Important is how he feels on stage 10.
But it's a tougher stage overall. Today was easy for 180km then hard for 4, but we've seen Contador beast it in isolated 4km efforts then struggle later in harder stages this year. Tomorrow is a hilly and tough day, and Alto del Naranco is hard enough to be put time into someone if they are tired at the bottom. Not that much, but 30 seconds is possible if it's really bad. Today was a good sign, a very good sign. But we mustn't get overexcited yet. Not with, as you said, Covadonga coming up.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Cannot wait to see Alberto the next couple of stages. Beating Froome like he did today is what really gives him morale!
That was huge, I already thought he was doing quite well when he (kind of) followed Froome and Quintana, of course his legs blew off as expected, but I was happy to see him follow Chaves and limit his losses. But then that punch?!?! Not only did he drop Chaves but to sprint past Froome like that... a huge boost for him for sure

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Cannot wait to see Alberto the next couple of stages. Beating Froome like he did today is what really gives him morale!
That was huge, I already thought he was doing quite well when he (kind of) followed Froome and Quintana, of course his legs blew off as expected, but I was happy to see him follow Chaves and limit his losses. But then that punch?!?! Not only did he drop Chaves but to sprint past Froome like that... a huge boost for him for sure

He just needs to follow his own rhythm more. He alway burns himself in trying to follow the first big attack by a GC rider.

Brullnux said:
Gigs_98 said:
Lexman said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Tomorrows finish is way easier though. Important is how he feels on stage 10.
But it's a tougher stage overall. Today was easy for 180km then hard for 4, but we've seen Contador beast it in isolated 4km efforts then struggle later in harder stages this year. Tomorrow is a hilly and tough day, and Alto del Naranco is hard enough to be put time into someone if they are tired at the bottom. Not that much, but 30 seconds is possible if it's really bad. Today was a good sign, a very good sign. But we mustn't get overexcited yet. Not with, as you said, Covadonga coming up.
But with Covadonga coming up will tomorrow really be raced hard? Maybe a few accelerations on the final climb, but I don't think the pace on the hills before that will be very high and after an easy day even a bad Contador shouldn't loose much time on Naranco. Just think about how stage 4 was raced, and the final climb there was probably more difficult.

TRENDING THREADS