• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1727 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
This is just cycling how it always should be. Unfortunately the UCI points system and the current business model rarely gives an incentive to riders throwing their balls out far before the finale. Contador is a big name and he also has the assets to do it.

And you could fill your stomach with all the tramadol in the world, still the pain in the legs must be insustainable. What a champion.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Terrific effort yesterday. Must have been heartbreaking to come so close. As we saw last year at Paris-Nice, it's so hard to maintain enough of a gap over the last few kilometres when you have a chasing pack hunting you down. He needed more assistance from Soler and De la Cruz.

Re:

buchanan said:
Terrific effort yesterday. Must have been heartbreaking to come so close. As we saw last year at Paris-Nice, it's so hard to maintain enough of a gap over the last few kilometres when you have a chasing pack hunting you down. He needed more assistance from Soler and De la Cruz.
The chasing pack was 30 seconds behind with 1km to go. They took 10 seconds sprinting for 4th. Welcome to modern cycling.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Robert5091 said:
AC needs a team - even one half decent climber otherwise he's bullied by Sky and Movistar (Quintana still owes him one though)
He has Pantano and Felline now :)
Pantano is literally the perfect 'leadout' man for Contador, the job he did the day on Couilolle was even more impressive, but I have my doubts about Felline as a climber in TdF. I think Mollema will be of more use in high mountains while Felline obviously will be more fresh and also is super versatile.

ice&fire said:
buchanan said:
The chasing pack was 30 seconds behind with 1km to go. They took 10 seconds sprinting for 4th. Welcome to modern cycling.

Yes it is.
When Froome-Sagan group was 20 seconds ahead in the last Km, they brought it down to just 6 sprinting for 4th. Should they have stopped? :cry: :cry:

Contador looked much better in the last 2 days. He looked awesome yesterday. I don't think he can win another GT but he is definitely a legend. After all these years of wins he is still extremely hungry for a 3rd Paris-Nice win. He tried everything and he fell up just 2 seconds short of the win. And unlike some of the riders he was still very gracious in defeat. And yesterday was just an example of why people love him(except the people at BikeRadar who are just blind nationalist and Skybots :eek: ). He goes ballistic when he sees a chance of winning. He gave us a show yesterday. Cycling will be very bad when people like him, Nibali, Boonen retire :(

Also, #quererespoder :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIFMTmpvmGw

Jspear said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
I could be wrong, but it seems like the evidence suggests he's as good as last year. How does he stack up compared to 2014?

I don't know how the numbers stack up, but I don't think he's in that type of form. He was a monster in 2014.

He was at a similar level, he beated Quintana and Froome when he was on top form and they were not and he showed less level, as in Dauohine, when both where at similar level. Last year the same, in routes as Pais Vasco he is the best, no possible rival.

May be he was in 2004 a little bit better, but very little difference. He got very good result in 2014, but the fact is that, he never beated the best riders when thy were at his best...the same all the years after his santion.. but he has showed a very good level, becouse he is a very good rider, and he showed a very goo attitude and intelligence. But that is not level.

In fact Contador was second in Algarve and Cataluña in 2014..so I see the same that today...the rest was Tirreno, when the only rival was Quintana Kreuziger third.... and Quintana wanst peaking as Contador, becouse Quintana was for the Giro..and you dont peak in March when you want to be on top for the May...and Contador was peaking before to stop in April.

Pais Vasco, yes, for those rutes he is the best, second Kiatkowski...

In Dauphine Froome showed stronger before his crash, he was better in the proplogue and in the forst mountain stage, when Contador always at his wheel and he coudlnt even overpass him to win the stage.

Tour, whe will have always the doubt...but the second day Froome showed very good in a short climb..and in the only mountain stage Contador put just 2 second on Nibali...of course Contador was very strong, but is that so impressing, it is something similar at those times before his santion he did things as Verbier, or Lac Anneccy?? Nibali is not Froome or Quintana.

La Vuelta, no doubt despite all the stuff about his knee, he was the most fresh and prepared rider there..and he was lucky Froome did a mistake in the ITT that allow Contador to just follow his wheel all the race...Froome didnt prepared well Vuelta, it wasnt a superobjetive. he tried to win, but no more.. it is his blame, yes, as well his wrist, but yes, it is his blame, but the fast it is he wanst at his level.

And that is all...

If you think that is really better than today level, or so impressing, I am just disagre, and I argued why.

Anyway, long life to Contador, we need riders like him...

Taxus4a said:
Jspear said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
I could be wrong, but it seems like the evidence suggests he's as good as last year. How does he stack up compared to 2014?

I don't know how the numbers stack up, but I don't think he's in that type of form. He was a monster in 2014.

He was at a similar level, he beated Quintana and Froome when he was on top form and they were not and he showed less level, as in Dauohine, when both where at similar level. Last year the same, in routes as Pais Vasco he is the best, no possible rival.

May be he was in 2004 a little bit better, but very little difference. He got very good result in 2014, but the fact is that, he never beated the best riders when thy were at his best...the same all the years after his santion.. but he has showed a very good level, becouse he is a very good rider, and he showed a very goo attitude and intelligence. But that is not level.

While it's true Quintana and Froome were not at their best, it is also true that Contador and Froome crashed out of the Tour, while Quintana the Vuelta. It's very difficult, therefore, to assess true values that year. Although I don't think you can say Contador was at top form in the Vuelta after the Tour, anymore than Froome.

This year is different. Contador is on a new team, Quintana is doing the Giro first, Froome is potentially on a troubled Sky. The mix could make for some interesting scenarios.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
In fact Contador was second in Algarve and Cataluña in 2014..so I see the same that today...the rest was Tirreno, when the only rival was Quintana Kreuziger third.... and Quintana wanst peaking as Contador, becouse Quintana was for the Giro..and you dont peak in March when you want to be on top for the May...and Contador was peaking before to stop in April.

In Dauphine Froome showed stronger before his crash, he was better in the proplogue and in the forst mountain stage, when Contador always at his wheel and he coudlnt even overpass him to win the stage.

Tour, whe will have always the doubt...but the second day Froome showed very good in a short climb..and in the only mountain stage Contador put just 2 second on Nibali...of course Contador was very strong, but is that so impressing, it is something similar at those times before his santion he did things as Verbier, or Lac Anneccy?? Nibali is not Froome or Quintana.

La Vuelta, no doubt despite all the stuff about his knee, he was the most fresh and prepared rider there..and he was lucky Froome did a mistake in the ITT that allow Contador to just follow his wheel all the race...Froome didnt prepared well Vuelta, it wasnt a superobjetive. he tried to win, but no more.. it is his blame, yes, as well his wrist, but yes, it is his blame, but the fast it is he wanst at his level.

And that is all...

If you think that is really better than today level, or so impressing, I am just disagre, and I argued why.

In 2014, he completely destroyed some dude who broke the record in Huy 2 weeks later on a short steep climb, and Contador was never great on these types of climbs. 5 days after that performance, he caused a meltdown in the clinic by going full genius on the final TT. It was clear that he was on a monster shape in entire 2014, possibly second best ever after 2009. But, obviously everyone that got beaten by him was sick/out of shape/did not care/missing his puppy/some other reason that makes nonsense.

Re:

Taxus4a said:

And that is all...

Didn't the data show that Contador and Froome were at least close to on par with Froome in 2012/2013 Tours?

burning said:
Taxus4a said:

And that is all...

In 2014, he completely destroyed some dude who broke the record in Huy 2 weeks later on a short steep climb, and Contador was never great on these types of climbs. 5 days after that performance, he caused a meltdown in the clinic by going full genius on the final TT. It was clear that he was on a monster shape in entire 2014, possibly second best ever after 2009. But, obviously everyone that got beaten by him was sick/out of shape/did not care/missing his puppy/some other reason that makes nonsense.

Gotta love any talk about the mythical 2014 Contador :D

For me that is his best season. For his exploits at T-A, P-V and La Vuelta. Plus he could have won the Dauphne of course.

I don't know that much about his '09 season (dominated Tour lost out on last stage of P-N). Guessing he dominated P-V. Anything else? Think I'd still rate is '14 season greater as he was older and coming back from the disaster that was 2013....and the comeback from Tour to Vuelta almost was mythical.

LaFlorecita said:
Interesting interview with Berto. He says he still needs to lose 2 more kgs. Also he says his body fat percentage is 3.7% at this point :eek:

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/noticias-competicion/articulo/Entrevista-Alberto-Contador-2017-tengo-3-7-grasa-corporal

That's BS. He would be dead or he wouldn't be able to have a normal life. Bodybuilders struggle with bodyfats of 5-6% and they only need to mantain that for a couple of days. Not to mention that they don't need to do several hundreds of kilometers on a bike.

That bodyfat value was taken with a bioimpedance scale. These scales have error margins of 8%.

carolina said:
LaFlorecita said:
Interesting interview with Berto. He says he still needs to lose 2 more kgs. Also he says his body fat percentage is 3.7% at this point :eek:

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/noticias-competicion/articulo/Entrevista-Alberto-Contador-2017-tengo-3-7-grasa-corporal

That's BS. He would be dead or he wouldn't be able to have a normal life. Bodybuilders struggle with bodyfats of 5-6% and they only need to mantain that for a couple of days. Not to mention that they don't need to do several hundreds of kilometers on a bike.

That bodyfat value was taken with a bioimpedance scale. These scales have error margins of 8%.
So it's not ***, he just doesn't use a very accurate method of measurement and this was the value.
Of course there will be a difference between (for example) the skinfold method and a body scan. It doesn't matter as long as you are aware of the difference between the different methods and know how to interpret the figures. Froome did some sort of body scan during his tests a while back which showed a BF% of (IIRC) around 15%, while Dr Ferrari had guesstimated him at 2-3%.

Re:

carolina said:
A cyclist wouldn't be able to mantain such a low bodyfat percentage. That's physically impossible.

If he was even close to that number you would be able to see every muscle striation. He's more close to 8-9%.
You don't understand. I'm not arguing his BF% is actually 3.7%. What I'm saying is that while his actual BF% may not be 3.7%, the method he uses showed that value and as long as he always uses the same method, it doesn't matter. It's probably the skinfold test or something which only measures subcutaneous fat.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Eh, pretty sure he's just trolling. He seems to have a yen for misinforming his opponents (which I find hilarious actually), and besides, it's DEXA or GTFO when it comes to BF.

Re:

GraftPunk said:
Eh, pretty sure he's just trolling. He seems to have a yen for misinforming his opponents (which I find hilarious actually), and besides, it's DEXA or GTFO when it comes to BF.
Why would he say his BF% is lower than it actually is to misinform his rivals (potentially provoking them to lose weight and become harder to beat) and in an obscure Spanish radio show no less? As for DEXA, that's hardly something you would use regularly to keep track of your BF% throughout several years.

TRENDING THREADS