• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1736 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
I think he may race La Vuelta if he retires at the end of the year.
And I don't think he'll retire :) He'll go for Il Giro next year. I'm already looking forward! I hate the Tour :)
I hope he does the Romandie-Giro-Suisse-Vuelta-Worlds combo next year, going for two 1-week stage races he has never won and the brutal course in Innsbruck. And Contador in Giro is always a great thing to see :)

That should have been his plan this year. With the amount of TT in the Giro he would have had the beating of Quintana.

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Oh,I forgot that he has never won Dauphine :D
So he can go there too, but as you said TDS has an easier field so he has much more chances of winning overall there.
The 2014 Dauphiné is the race I regret most, I've never felt that bad after a race :cry: :( closely followed by Paris-Nice this year, I thought last year was bad but this year was even worse because it brought back the memories of last year.
This years P-N is the one I regret most, followed by Tour 2016 :( Not regretting Tour 2014 that much because one of my other fav riders (Nibali) won and Contador came back from his injury to win he Vuelta. And the last stage of Dauphine 2014 was awesome from a neutral perspective, with many riders going on the attack together against much stronger riders. Also Contador was extremely strong that day and was the nr 1 favourite for me going into the Tour that year.
I don't really regret the 2014 and 2016 TDF because I don't know what would have happened. His losses at the Dauphiné and Paris-Nice seemed "avoidable" and unnecessary, if you know what I mean. However, I was an emotional wreck after his crash at the 2014 TDF :cry:

Climber123 said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
And I don't think he'll retire :) He'll go for Il Giro next year. I'm already looking forward! I hate the Tour :)
I hope he does the Romandie-Giro-Suisse-Vuelta-Worlds combo next year, going for two 1-week stage races he has never won and the brutal course in Innsbruck. And Contador in Giro is always a great thing to see :)

That should have been his plan this year. With the amount of TT in the Giro he would have had the beating of Quintana.
If Quintana had broken his leg as reported, otherwise I have a hard time seeing Berto gain more than 1.30 on Quintana on the TT and ot this stage, Quintana is one level above him in high mountains.

LaFlorecita said:
portugal11 said:
2011 come to my mind...
Sure he was strong there, but he wasn't racing against the very best, we must keep that in mind.
The 2011 version of Scarponi waas very strong, peaked from February to May, winning a stage in Sardegna, coming3rd in T-A with a stage win in Chieti, riding to an epic 6th place in MSR (he caught the peloton alone on Cipressa and still went witht the attacks on Poggio), got 2nd in Catalunya and Giro d'Italia and won Trentino.

And Contador still beated him with 23 seconds on this climb: ( that stage finished on Cruce a Pal from what I get)
estaciondepal.png

Also pre-Etna injury Basso, Evans who jst won T-A, Leipheimer and Horner were there and Contador won ths stage very easily.

Contador: "Estoy súper contento. No hemos podido rematar, pero estoy satisfecho con el rendimiento. La preparación va bien encaminada"

Berto is "súper contento", really happy
jens attacks posted the climbing time for today's finish, seems Piti was just at a whole other level. So still a good performance by Berto

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Well he is certainly not a "limping duck". If we are really honest with ourselves he only has Froome to fear in a 3 week race. So things actually looks splendid people. Have a little faith, no?

Valv.Piti said:
Climber123 said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:

If Quintana had broken his leg as reported, otherwise I have a hard time seeing Berto gain more than 1.30 on Quintana on the TT and ot this stage, Quintana is one level above him in high mountains.

Please Stop. Everybody knows is FAKE NEWS!

https://twitter.com/NairoQuinCo/status/845315946956935168

Valv.Piti said:
Climber123 said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:

This years Giro route is very bad, no hard hilly stage, no sterrato and some pathetic unnecessary -----/ MTFs. (Oropa, Piancavallo)
However you know that Quintana may have a bad day, miss a crucial move(L'Aquila, Formigal style), crash while trying to follow a better descender etc?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yes, Contador would have the beaten of Quintana and yes, he has only Froome to fear in a 3 week race. Obviously.
I never said that. Quintana would still be the nr. 1 favourite. But Quintana is more exploitable to weakness in this years Giro than Froome in this years Tour. However, this years Giro suits Quintana much more than 2015 or 2016, which had some very hard hilly stages and descent finishes which don't suit Quintana very well.

Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yes, Contador would have the beaten of Quintana and yes, he has only Froome to fear in a 3 week race. Obviously.
I never said that. Quintana would still be the nr. 1 favourite. But Quintana is more exploitable to weakness in this years Giro than Froome in this years Tour. However, this years Giro suits Quintana much more than 2015 or 2016, which had some very hard hilly stages and descent finishes which don't suit Quintana very well.
I know that, Climber123 did.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
I know that, Climber123 did.
Climber123 agrees with the above :p

portugal11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
rei_da_montanha said:
portugal11 said:
this performance by valverde is clinic's stuff. I never see the guy so strong in my life

Because you never saw Pantani, Armstrong and Indurain in their prime.
I don't understand this comment. What do the three have to do with Valverde?
Portuguese people are stupid sometimes

Yeah, true.