• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1754 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
All these Movistar victories remind me, when are they going to repay Contador for what he did at the 2016 Vuelta? At the Tour? Or are they planning to repay him once he's retired? Or perhaps they're just not as classy as Alberto and never planned on repaying him anyway?
Lol please. What do you expect, Valverde to intentionally lose Catalunya or Pais Vasco? Here Contador, thats for you because you helped my teammate win the Vuelta last year. :lol:
If there will be any repayment, which I think is weird to expect (talking about being classy), it will come from Quintana at some point. He was the one benefitting, not Valverde. You were crying when Movistar didn't help Contador chase down Chaves as well on stage 20 instead of actually pointing to the fact that he just should have closed the attack down in the first place. Are you gonna say this overtime he gets beaten by Quintana or Valverde?

LaFlorecita said:
KyoGrey said:
Never understood that some Contador fans despise Valverde. Greatness recognises greatness, and better than being fan of one of them is being fan of both champs!!!
I dislike him mainly because he seems quite arrogant and seems to dislike and disrespect Berto. I'm not a fan of his style of racing, but for me that's not a reason to dislike a rider. I like Gerrans, for example. It's all about the personality. A very exciting rider is easier to like though.
Valverde being arrogant? Word around the peloton is (what you hear from commentators, insiders, other riders etc) is that Valverde genuinely is one of the nicest guys in the peloton. Similar to Boonen, thing is Valverde just doesn't speak English so its a lot harder for him to express himself. You just don't like him. Because you don't like any of his rivals. Valverde, Quintana, Porte, Froome, Nibali, same thing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out now, does it.

And please. Valverde respects Contador, why do you think he races like he does? It motivates him, they have a rivalry. The only reason why they have a rivalry is because both are racing on an extremely high level and has been doing just that for +10 years. Such a weird thing to say.

LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/850737263399116800 :rolleyes:
I don't think Movistar are trying to rub it. They just say the victory is better when it is against riders like Contador who have so much calibre.
About todays stage, he once again went flat out on the beginning. I am not happy that he is 2nd again but at least it wasn't a small margin. (17 seconds on this route is a pretty big margin)
So they should keep it among themselves, Contador isn't going to take it as a compliment or feel better after reading it. The worst thing someone could say to you after finishing 2nd for the umpteenth time is "hey, at least you're a good #2, you make us look better!" especially when the ones saying it aren't exactly your friends.
It doesn't matter what they would have said, you would have found it hella annoying anyways because you ARE annoyed. You are probably more invested than Contador and Valverde themselves. You literally told people that you were gonna kill yourself because of all the 2nd places, maybe you should calm down a bit.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
He needs a couple of healthy training and racing months before the Tour to have any chance for a podium.
He's so underrated. I understand he hasn't podiumed a TDF since 2010 but if he doesn't crash he has a very good chance to finish on the podium. "Have any chance for a podium"? Don't make me laugh. If Froome crashes out and he does not, he's likely the #1 fave for the win. There, I said it.

Maybe you should learn some English comprehension. What did I say ? Contador has to avoid crashes and be healthy going into the Tour to have any chance. I am saying if he is healthy he has a chance. If you think he can be unhealthy and win the Tour what has happened since 2010 ? And he was healthy in 2013 and got blown off the road. How could Contador be underrated with his record but to admit he is the same rider that was dominating in 2007-2011 or even close to that is delusional.
Sorry, English isn't my first language as you know so maybe I misunderstood but you wrote he needs a couple of healthy training and racing months to have any chance for a podium, which to me reads like you believe even if things go right his chance for a podium is only minimal or only if he is well prepared, he has a chance to finish on the podium. I'd say with the right preparation he has a very good chance at a podium.

Yes I meant podium simply because of Froome's presence. But of course even for Froome, it still has to go right for three weeks. Valverde is on a Gilbert type year if this continues and I think it will continue at least in the Ardennes races. I still think there has to be a drop off for Valverde in the middle of the year.

The lack of graciousness among SOME Contadors fans on here to his rivals wining and beating him is childish, illogical and petty

If Valverde beats Contador he is the object of hatred. if Froome does then its Froome's turn , etc

Sport is about losing just as smuch about wining

Assumng Valverde is legit and there is no reason to suggest otherwise he should be appluaded for training so hard, racing so competeively and achieving so much...not the target of jealousy...because that is all this is ..jealousy

At least Contador is gracious in defeat

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere they're friends.
I can't say if you read it or not, but I can tell you that they're not - if your definition of friendship is the same as mine, that is.

In response to your other post (sorry, I'm not quoting your whole essay ;) ) it seems I wasn't clear enough in the first two times I posted. I couldn't care less what Movistar do, I despise them either way, they have no obligation to repay those favors but it wouldn't look bad on them if they did. What I was wondering is this, after that stage several fans (not just me) were upset because Contador and Quintana had equal parts in that stage but it earned Quintana the overall victory and Contador absolutely nothing. Some Movistar fans (they know who they are) tried to present Movistar and Quintana in a favorable light by assuring us that Contador would be repaid, that Quintana wouldn't forget, even after Quintana said that he wasn't sure why Contador expected any help on stage 20. I want to know if those fans now realize Movistar isn't quite the team they thought it was?

Be sorry about saying A while trying to say B. More productive and sincere that way. ;)

Re:

HelloDolly said:
The lack of graciousness among SOME Contadors fans on here to his rivals wining and beating him is childish, illogical and petty

If Valverde beats Contador he is the object of hatred. if Froome does then its Froome's turn , etc

Assumng Valverde is legit and there is no reason to suggest otherwise he should be appluaded for training so hard, racing so competeively and achieving so much...not the target of jealousy...because that is all this is ..jealousy

I think there is only a lot of human nature going on here. There is rational and irrational. For example, I don't think you are a Contador fan and are having a wee dig at him. Irrational. My take on your posts. Can't name posters but the pro Bertie fans are taking offence to the obvious wee sleekit and constant asides thrown in here and there by the posters who are trying to be neutral but clearly aren't and have their own anti-Contador bias. Again, irrational by me, but my take on most of the posters who are up against the the poster I can't name but defends him the most. And, I don't agree with said poster on a lot. Me, it's just like a real Football Factory, the sooner the new generation take over the better for me.

Novak Djokovics's Quote:
'Sometimes, I have dinner with Andy or Rafa; but the reality is none of us can be real mates while we are fighting for history. But one day, when we've all retired, I look forward to sitting down over a beer with them all, and their families, and remember what we went through.'

Similarly for Froome, Valverde, Contador. They just cant be friends.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
As for Valverde being arrogant because he wants to beat Contador or win all the time ....o they all want to win ...Contador wants to win all the time

I have it from a good source that Valverde is well liked in the peloton
Wanting to win isn't arrogant... saying you're by far the best and dismissing others is. Once again Contador would never say something like that because he's a humble guy.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Sad he didn't win but I hope this goes like my predictions in the 2017 thread and he goes on to dominate the Tour.
For the CdD and TdF he should just stay on Froomes wheel and hopefully avoid the crashes.
That last part is a big if. I think I'd give him a 75% chance to make it to the first rest day and 50% to make it without crashing. After that he has to defeat Froome and his team. At least he has a good superdomestique in Pantano but it's a tall ask. As I've said many times, his best chance is if Froome DNFs but that would be a hollow victory.

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
You were crying when Movistar didn't help Contador chase down Chaves as well on stage 20 instead of actually pointing to the fact that he just should have closed the attack down in the first place.
Isn't that the only point where help matters? When you are unable to do it yourself? :lol:

Perhaps Alberto has a lot more respect for his former foe than he lets on.

9780224064736.jpg

Re:

jens_attacks said:
Everything perfectly aligned for his 4th tour win.
You'll never give up, will you :lol: but we luv you for it

I haven't seen anything that suggests he can win the Tour without a hefty dose of good luck. In fact it's the opposite:
- He is now a diesel climber which means he'll probably explode trying to follow Froome's attacks and he won't be able to counterattack either in the unlikely case he does manage to stay on his wheel.
- His sub-20 minute efforts are great but he loses power very quickly after that mark. You can bet Sky and Movistar have noticed this as well and will make every stage as hard as possible so Alberto arrives at the final climb completely cooked and unable to do anything.
- He isn't TTing well enough, I know nothing about the parcours except that there are two TTs, he'll likely lose over 1 minute in both.
- He can't stay on his bike.
- His team isn't strong enough (no disrespect for Pantano but he can't act as 8 teammates on his own), we must pray there'll be no crosswinds or he'll be caught out for sure.

So to summarize, he needs to stay on his bike and find 50 extra Watts and he may stand a chance.

LaFlorecita said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Sad he didn't win but I hope this goes like my predictions in the 2017 thread and he goes on to dominate the Tour.
For the CdD and TdF he should just stay on Froomes wheel and hopefully avoid the crashes.
That last part is a big if. I think I'd give him a 75% chance to make it to the first rest day and 50% to make it without crashing. After that he has to defeat Froome and his team. At least he has a good superdomestique in Pantano but it's a tall ask. As I've said many times, his best chance is if Froome DNFs but that would be a hollow victory.
Yes, and after that he would have to go up against the Movistar-duo who have entered 6 stage races and won 5 of them (only one being Abu Dhabi Tour, probably even shouldn't be recognised for a race, but lets say 5/6 for good measure). Its not a UK Postal strong-team, but isn't anything to sneeze at either.

1st Comunidad de Valenciana - 1 stage win
1st Tirreno Adriatico - 1 stage win

1st Ruta de Sol - 1 stage win
1st Volta a Catalunya - 3 stage wins
1st Vuelta al Pais Vasco 1 stage win.

LaFlorecita said:
jens_attacks said:

I haven't seen anything that suggests he can win the Tour without a hefty dose of good luck. In fact it's the opposite:
- He is now a diesel climber which means he'll probably explode trying to follow Froome's attacks and he won't be able to counterattack either in the unlikely case he does manage to stay on his wheel.
- His sub-20 minute efforts are great but he loses power very quickly after that mark. You can bet Sky and Movistar have noticed this as well and will make every stage as hard as possible so Alberto arrives at the final climb completely cooked and unable to do anything.
- He isn't TTing well enough, I know nothing about the parcours except that there are two TTs, he'll likely lose over 1 minute in both.
- His team isn't strong enough (no disrespect for Pantano but he can't act as 8 teammates on his own), we must pray there'll be no crosswinds or he'll be caught out for sure.

So to summarize, he needs to stay on his bike and find 50 extra Watts and he may stand a chance.
Luckily, neither TT are much longer than 20 minutes. I don't think this one gives a fair indication due to pacing

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
jens_attacks said:

Luckily, neither TT are much longer than 20 minutes. I don't think this one gives a fair indication due to pacing

Yes, they are both - disgracefully - short TT's for Tour standards. This parcours is great for the current day Contador. I think he has lost much more in his TT ability from the 2015 Giro than he has with his ability to climb.

Hence he should be able to limit his losses pretty well against the clock in July. In addition to that there are a number of descent mountain stage finishers this year, which I think can work better for Alberto then just having MTF's. And we don't know what form Froome will bring to the race. Nobody is guaranteed to be there in super form, not even Froome. Apart from Froome, Contador looks to be fairly equal with Porte and Valverde; in fact over the three weeks I'd still rate him slightly above those two. Chaves is very good, but he has had an injury interrupted season, and Quintana is of course doing the double. Assuming that Contador stays on his bike, he has still a reasonable chance to win this years TDF. However, if Froome does have a AX3 or PSM day, then Contador needs to not try to follow; lose one minute rather than two.

ferryman said:
HelloDolly said:

I think there is only a lot of human nature going on here. There is rational and irrational. For example, I don't think you are a Contador fan and are having a wee dig at him. Irrational. My take on your posts. Can't name posters but the pro Bertie fans are taking offence to the obvious wee sleekit and constant asides thrown in here and there by the posters who are trying to be neutral but clearly aren't and have their own anti-Contador bias. Again, irrational by me, but my take on most of the posters who are up against the the poster I can't name but defends him the most. And, I don't agree with said poster on a lot. Me, it's just like a real Football Factory, the sooner the new generation take over the better for me.

You are totally wrong ...I am a massive Contador fan...And not becuase he wins or I expect to win all the time like his so called biggest fan on here
Its becasue he never gives up

You are typical of all the posters on here who are diagreed with ...They think a dig at them is a dig at Contador...not at all ..One can admire Contador but dislike the posts of his 'fans' on here

But some people cannot seperate themselves from the object of their fanaticism..they actually think they talk for Contador...if that is not irrational I don't know what is

Its goes like this "Dont diagree with me or anything I say or you are anti Contador" ...what a conceit

No one 'owns' the Contador support rights ...

In fact anyone on the fence who came on here would soon turn against suppoting Contador given the irrational , emotional and downright petty posts targeted at Contadors rivals

Buy hey you see what you want if that makes you feel better about poor behaviour

There's 2 big things at play right now

The big trend from 2016 and 2017 is that initital efforts all seem very impressive, but he seems to be fading a lot at the end of longer efforts. It's like he blocks when he's going deep for a longer time. He literally hasn't done anything great on a long effort since May 2015.

We can't really know how his performances in Catalunya and PV have been affected by fatigue. PN was raced crazy hard and fatigue may have been more of an issue than in 2014 and 2016. He's said he went into last year's DL overtrained, and I'm starting to wonder if you can go into the DL well rested with enough training if you ride 4 stage races hard in the spring. It seems that there's a lot that can go wrong.

The biggest turn-off is the contempt for all of Contador's big rivals, all of them are either arrogant, frauds, freaks or what have you. Its so, so classless when compared to how Contador copes with losses, always classy - if just some of his fans had a fraction of that. It doesn't matter if its Quintana, Valverde, Froome, Porte or Nibali for especially one certain poster - they are in Contador's way hence why they are treated like that.