• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1772 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I really don't think Federer is playing his best tennis ever right now. None of the top 5 at the ATP tour are.

Nadal and Federer were epic in the Australian open, they rolled back the years.
Nadal latest match in the French Open 6-0 6-1 6-0 :p

Re:

LeSensei said:
I'm sorry but saying Quintana will podium in this Tour and Contador won't is a joke. Contador in his peak wasn't able to achieve the double. Quintana is like 2 steps below the best Contador we've seen. It's not even debatable.
While Contador's top-level certainly has been half a level above Quintana's best, we have seen that level on two occasions, Quintana's perhaps biggest strength is his consistency and recovery. Thats why its pretty likely he will podium in this Tour as well.

Re: Re:

Climber123 said:
Red Rick said:
I really don't think Federer is playing his best tennis ever right now. None of the top 5 at the ATP tour are.

Doesn't mean much. I'm sure Bardet and Pinot can deliver a very good performance and a very good battle. Doesn't mean they're at the same level of the best riders, only that they are relatively (that is the key word, remember) better than the others.

The same happens with Nadal and Federer.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

lenric said:
Climber123 said:
Red Rick said:

Doesn't mean much. I'm sure Bardet and Pinot can deliver a very good performance and a very good battle. Doesn't mean they're at the same level of the best riders, only that they are relatively (that is the key word, remember) better than the others.

I meant throughout the tournament. They were immense.

Point is Contador decline is overstated. I have a feeling he will prove it in devastating fashion this July.

Last years Vuelta was no indication as he was a broken rider yet he still stayed pretty close to Quintana/Froome for much of the time.

Climber123 said:
lenric said:
Climber123 said:
Red Rick said:

Last years Vuelta was no indication as he was a broken rider yet he still stayed pretty close to Quintana/Froome for much of the time.

That's a fallacy. Because a) no one knows how the crashes had affected him, thus it's unknown how'd he performed in the Vuelta without them and b) both Quintana and Froome (and Chaves, for that matter) had ridden one more GT prior to the Vuelta, unlike Contador.

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
The point isn't to say that Contador was on Froome/Quintana's level last year (he wasn't). But that it's fair to say that the injury/crashes had a wattage drain > 0, which is enough to suggest that we didn't know what his level would have been compared to his competitors when he is at full strength.

There's nothing more that needs to be said regarding his level then. Just that trying to overanalyze how he performed at the Vuelta last year is probably an exercise in futility.

There's two assumptions that need to be true for Contador's Vuelta of last year to indicate his best level

1. He started the Vuelta in his best possible shape
2. He wasn't affected by the crashes.

2. is an assumption that's impossible to be verified. I think that crashes certainly affect you down the race. But then we can all say it fits our argument because we simply can't know

1. is an assumption that I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's false, and I'm basing that off the level Contador showed in the Dauphine and in Burgos. In the DL he won the MTT against a field that would later get 4 out of 5 top 5 placings in the Tour, and put the hurt on everyone in the last mountain stage, whereas in Burgos he got dropped hard by Sergio Pardilla and could barely beat Ben Hermans.

Re:

Red Rick said:
There's two assumptions that need to be true for Contador's Vuelta of last year to indicate his best level

1. He started the Vuelta in his best possible shape
2. He wasn't affected by the crashes.

2. is an assumption that's impossible to be verified. I think that crashes certainly affect you down the race. But then we can all say it fits our argument because we simply can't know

1. is an assumption that I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's false, and I'm basing that off the level Contador showed in the Dauphine and in Burgos. In the DL he won the MTT against a field that would later get 4 out of 5 top 5 placings in the Tour, and put the hurt on everyone in the last mountain stage, whereas in Burgos he got dropped hard by Sergio Pardilla and could barely beat Ben Hermans.
And remember he was peaking for July, not August/September

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Last year Vuelta can't be compared to 2014's. In 2014 he was in an amazing shape in the Tour and he managed to mantain that form during the Vuelta. The situation this year was different, he abandoned the Tour with fever, and he didn't recover as well from the season effort. That is probably the biggest difference as of now compared to 6 or 7 years ago. Alberto's recovery over the weeks is great, but not as great over the whole season. This is probably why he decided to go slower this year.

"I am happy because I felt very good," added Contador. "I think my feeling was better than I hoped. I made some good watts in some parts of the stage, I made it through with no crashes, no problems, and it was a nice day of work for the legs."

Anyone still convinced he won't top-5 here? :D

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Let's imagine that at the Tour Contador manages to improve on form of the past two years, though obviously doesn't reach the levels of 2009/2014; would a Contador with similar form to that of 2010 be able to challenge Froome in the mountains? By this I mean purely head to head, ambushes discounted.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

LanLions said:
Let's imagine that at the Tour Contador manages to improve on form of the past two years, though obviously doesn't reach the levels of 2009/2014; would a Contador with similar form to that of 2010 be able to challenge Froome in the mountains? By this I mean purely head to head, ambushes discounted.
2014 contador wouldn't beat 2010 contador.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

portugal11 said:
LanLions said:

2010 Contador couldn't drop Menchov on AX3 and lost time to Schleck and Sanchez at Morzine. 2014 Contador looked almost invincible.

Re:

LeSensei said:
I'm sorry but saying Quintana will podium in this Tour and Contador won't is a joke. Contador in his peak wasn't able to achieve the double. Quintana is like 2 steps below the best Contador we've seen. It's not even debatable.
Are you one of those people that says FACT in capitals a lot?

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

LanLions said:
portugal11 said:
LanLions said:

2010 Contador couldn't drop Menchov on AX3 and lost time to Schleck and Sanchez at Morzine. 2014 Contador looked almost invincible.
He lost time because he was too cocky and was responding to everybody, so he cracked when andy atracked. Contador dropped menchov very easily in all big mountains. He and andy were toying with the competition in every single mountain.

Re:

LanLions said:
It all depends on Froome's shape. He wouldn't be able to beat 2013 Froome, but 2016, possibly.