• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1903 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Ariane said:
Some say "Good riddance" - but it very triste to think that the Vuelta will be the last time we see Alberto race a bike: Certainly -a true gran campeón
I will miss him: might sound weird/creepy but he has been a big part of my life in recent years. Not just in races but also looking for news, photos, social media posts, interviews, everything will change :(
All good things must come to an end.

But even when this door closes, others will open.

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
If that's true about refusing the 5 month contract then it's just incredibly sad.
Why? I guess he just changed his mind. Thought about it long and hard and figured it was time to say goodbye.
Because he planned to do it for longer, and now because of another disappointment he apparently he doesn't think it's worth doing anymore.
Oh I thought you meant sad in the pathetic kind of way.

42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
perico said:

Mick was a good team mate. It seemed to be mutual.
Contador was a very popular team mate. Even Armstrong's $$$ struggled to turn people against him.
From the reactions on social media it seems Alberto is well-liked in the peloton especially among teammates and the Spaniards and Italians.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
If that's true about refusing the 5 month contract then it's just incredibly sad.
Why? I guess he just changed his mind. Thought about it long and hard and figured it was time to say goodbye.
Because he planned to do it for longer, and now because of another disappointment he apparently he doesn't think it's worth doing anymore.
Oh I thought you meant sad in the pathetic kind of way.
Were you questioning my fanboyism? :(

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Such a shame reading so much negative speculation here. I don't know how your minds work, but mine these days is just filled with sadness because of his retirement but also with happiness and curiosity about seeing the legend going to La Vuelta apparently in a good form.

And for the future I guess it will be only more Fundación Contador and FundContaTeam.

perico said:
LaFlorecita said:
perico said:
Getting tired of this man.
Read the rest of the article. Says Contador is basically the greatest modern rider and has much love for him.
It's clear Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he has no chance to win big races anymore - there is a different reason which we can only speculate about so it is strange to me to see Riis "angry".
Also I think Riis has lost touch with reality. Everything he's said about Contador recently makes it sound like Alberto could win anything he wants if he trained properly (implying he isn't doing that now) which is obviously nonsense.

LaFlorecita said:
perico said:
LaFlorecita said:
perico said:
Getting tired of this man.
Read the rest of the article. Says Contador is basically the greatest modern rider and has much love for him.
It's clear Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he has no chance to win big races anymore - there is a different reason which we can only speculate about so it is strange to me to see Riis "angry".
Also I think Riis has lost touch with reality. Everything he's said about Contador recently makes it sound like Alberto could win anything he wants if he trained properly (implying he isn't doing that now) which is obviously nonsense.

Riis isn't really angry, Flo. You have to remember that it was a two way street. Alberto won a lot for Bjarn, and Bjarn stood by Alberto during dark times. There's a mutual love there.

He's neither pissed nor angry. A better translation of "ærgre sig" is upset, annoyed or disappointed. He thinks it's unfortunate that he's retiring, since he believes that he still has more left in him.

Which matches my own feelings quite well. I would personally much prefer if he also raced next year.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I think we all kind of have that feeling haven't we? Alberto could absolutely have won some more Tours. And I certainly believe Riis have some credibility here.

@Flo all this speculations why he's retiring, possible fights with Trek, it's really annoying. It could be perfectly true but there's absolutely no record of it in my view.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Bjarne Riis certainly is an idiot tho, theres no way around it. The media is giving that man far too much airtime recently - link me an article where he actually says something that isn't negative. Pretty much always complaining or critisizing.

Often, though, he's actually being asked for a critical view or perspective on a matter, not necessarily proactively being negative. The Danish (sports) journalists are often horrid at getting any meaningful answers, as they care more about sensationalism and hot takes rather than useful answers - it's borderline sad.
In regards to Contador, however, I don't get the sense that he has anything but respect for the man.

I don't think Riis has anything against Contador but his comments are unnecessarily negative and critical IMO, especially if he has a good relationship with Alberto.
He can be disappointed with Alberto's retirement as all of us are but it's Alberto's decision and we have to respect that. He will have his reasons for it and will have thought about it very well.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't think Riis has anything against Contador but his comments are unnecessarily negative and critical IMO, especially if he has a good relationship with Alberto.
He can be disappointed with Alberto's retirement as all of us are but it's Alberto's decision and we have to respect that. He will have his reasons for it and will have thought about it very well.
Riis loves Contador, absolutely adores him.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Riis loves Contador, absolutely adores him.
I know :)

ferryman said:
Carols said:
I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(
Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)
Wow sorry I missed this,i've been off line! Last night I was at the Tattoo, awesome, and left Edinburg this am. now I'm just outside Inverness, heading tk Skye by tomorrow pm. so sorry to have missed your Kind Offer!

Carols said:
ferryman said:
Carols said:
I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(
Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)
Wow sorry I missed this,i've been off line! Last night I was at the Tattoo, awesome, and left Edinburg this am. now I'm just outside Inverness, heading tk Skye by tomorrow pm. so sorry to have missed your Kind Offer!
To my shame as an Edinburgher, I've never been to the Tattoo:( You will love Skye:) My Mum was born not far from Inverness, so I love it up there:) The offer stands if you are passing near NQ on your way South:) Enjoy, but look oot for the midges on Skye;)

Even for a rider and fighter like Contador, it must get harder and harder to sacrifice for one more win - he's won so much after all. I have wondered whether what happend to Porte this tour, and the crashes AC has had recently, have also taken their toll on his motivation and mental energy needed to continue. And perhaps there are family reasons we'll not know about. He spent a long time living in a place he didn't much like, and even though he's moved back to Pinto, the amount of time away from family must get wearing.

Whatever - I only hope he won't disappear. He's been a big inspiration for me.