• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1918 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I still live in the hope that he'll realise the legs arent gone yet and stick around for one final year
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/vuelta-a-espana-2017-satge6-roadside-contador-the-fans-favorite/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#.WaAgzCirTIU
Contador was getting himself ready for the off next to a cafe and there was a bit of banter going on: "One more year Alberto!" Was shouted. "No, no", was the answer. "But what will you do?" Quick as a flash, Alberto counters with: "Go on holiday, like you!" Good point.

FYI, this evening on Eurosport there'll be an item about Alberto. At 19:30 CET.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
I still live in the hope that he'll realise the legs arent gone yet and stick around for one final year
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/vuelta-a-espana-2017-satge6-roadside-contador-the-fans-favorite/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#.WaAgzCirTIU
Contador was getting himself ready for the off next to a cafe and there was a bit of banter going on: "One more year Alberto!" Was shouted. "No, no", was the answer. "But what will you do?" Quick as a flash, Alberto counters with: "Go on holiday, like you!" Good point.

He deserves a real holiday! It's been an awesome 10+ years, Great One. You will be missed.

Go make some babies that will become Campeons!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

He deserves a real holiday! It's been an awesome 10+ years, Great One. You will be missed.

*campeones.
We will have to wait 25 years to see a new contador :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

portugal11 said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

*campeones.
We will have to wait 25 years to see a new contador :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

+100

Maybe even longer. Riders of his class don't come around very often!

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

Couldn't agree more. hopefully someone will ask him what his first holiday destination will be :D

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

he better hurry up, I'm the same age as Bertie and we've been trying for over a year an nothing is happening, honestly its that bad that my wife doesn't want me to go cycling and she checking the temperature of my baths....she reckons bike saddles have ruined my best swimmers :mad:

rick james said:
he better hurry up, I'm the same age as Bertie and we've been trying for over a year an nothing is happening, honestly its that bad that my wife doesn't want me to go cycling and she checking the temperature of my baths....she reckons bike saddles have ruined my best swimmers :mad:
Post of the month :lol:
Maybe his wife is similar to yours and that's why he's retiring :lol:

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm pretty sure the next Alberto Contador is already like 6 years old. Ill dig it up later
I was wrong. He's 4.

From the 2016 Tour of Rwanda team profiles

1371247407Joseph-.jpg

Rider: Joseph Biziyaremye
Nickname: "Grumpy" because he's direct and to the point and doesn't put up with any BS...EVER
Tour History: This is his 6th Tour of Rwanda
Family: Two children, not married. Little boy is named Alberto Contador (3) and Samson (1)
Favorite Food: Potatoes
Favorite Country: South Africa
Motivation: To show my racing skills and earn some money for my family
Goal: Win the GC

He will be Alberto Contador Velas -uh-Biziyaremye

Red Rick said:
Red Rick said:
I'm pretty sure the next Alberto Contador is already like 6 years old. Ill dig it up later
I was wrong. He's 4.

1371247407Joseph-.jpg

Nickname: "Grumpy" because he's direct and to the point and doesn't put up with any BS...EVER
Family: Two children, not married. Little boy is named Alberto Contador (3) and Samson (1)

Favorite food: potatoes :D

movingtarget said:
Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
I don't see Froome gifting Alberto a stage either, fortunately.

Absolutely agree on all counts.

Would Contador ever gift a stage to Froome ? Probably not. Gifted stages usually go to domestiques or team mates.

I doubt we'll ever find out, but actually, I think he would. In a particular set of circumstances. He has done before [gifted stages, I mean]

As for the Madrid stage win...well, I think that would be touching. Doubt it would happen, but it's a nice thought.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Red Rick said:
I was wrong. He's 4.

1371247407Joseph-.jpg

Favorite food: potatoes :D
potatoes are good eatin'

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Not a Froome's gift but the whole peloton's.
Madrid. Last stage of his career.
No sprint. Contador wins, whole peloton 10 m back.
Even as a Sky fan I must aknowledge such scenario as nice.

Replying myself:
It could'nt have to be a gift, but a kind of appreciation.
I am a little surprised that nobody followed my idea, especially in this thread.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

Replying myself:
I am a little surprised that nobody followed my idea, especially in this thread.

It's nice, but it's not fitting for the sport, and not fitting for a rider who's always had to fight for it. Battle Royale on the Alto de l'Angliru followed by an honorary lap in Madrid seems more fitting.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

Replying myself:

If the teams allowed it to happen without competing for the win, then it's still a gift, regardless of what label is stamped on it. Now of course, the teams with sprinters desperate for a chance at a win aren't going to be gifting a stage to anyone.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Contador is Froome's biggest rival for this Vuelta in my opinion, even if he has lost 3 minutes, the last three days he has looked fantastic. Great way to bow out. His only problem is, Froome is strong, maybe strongest Vuelta version of Froome since 2011.
Yeah, if not for Froome I'd think Alberto is still in an excellent position to win despite the time loss. It's a shame.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
Contador is Froome's biggest rival for this Vuelta in my opinion, even if he has lost 3 minutes, the last three days he has looked fantastic. Great way to bow out. His only problem is, Froome is strong, maybe strongest Vuelta version of Froome since 2011.
Yeah, if not for Froome I'd think Alberto is still in an excellent position to win despite the time loss. It's a shame.

Unfortunately Froome is exstant !

Re:

Singer01 said:
Tomorrow the indian summer begins in earnest, Contador v Froome will make Contador v Rasmussen seem like Meintjes v Leipheimer.

ha ha ha ...made me laugh

Watched the ES special on Contador.... felt emotional.....will really miss him

But also glad that I think he is bowing out at the right time and seems quite happy about his decision

His form is very good in the Vuleta and even if he cant win he is going to push SKY to the limit

Fairytale ending ..a decisive win on the Angliru

Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
It's uploaded on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpJByachOA

Thanks, very good show. He seems very happy and content with his decision.

What a Legend, he will never be forgotten as he has written his name large in the lore of the sport. He will be Missed :(.

TRENDING THREADS