• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1916 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Not sure if Contador is as strong as Froome. On climbs like todays or yesterday, yeah it looked like it. However I fear that on longer mountain stages with more than one serious climb he will be clearly worse.
I think you are right. Contador has been worse in longer climbs but we will see what he will do on stage 11

Baldinger said:
shalgo said:
LaFlorecita said:
perico said:
On another note, Jesus palmares is just sad.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TAgNR
He has no personal ambition at all which is admirable.
Don't forget he wouldn't be in cycling anymore if Alberto hadn't asked Astana to sign him in 2009.
Nonetheless he has had some decent results on mountain stages, IMO he could have been a Monfort type of rider, between 10th and 20th on GC in GTs.
I remember a funny comment by Jesus in an interview some years back, that when they were just getting started Jesus would always beat Alberto. :lol:
He did finish 19th and 21st overall in the Vuelta, both of which are more notable results than the one in the link.
He was ninth in the last mountain stage in the 2013 Tour.

I can only remember 11th, right behind the red jersey (and in front of Nairo?), in stage 17 of 2012 Vuelta

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I know one person who will sleep better during races with AC's retirement ---- Froome ---- ha-ha. My consolation for this Vuelta if AC does not win it is that he messes up Froome's rhythm and gives him some parting nightmares....on the road.

Re:

jilbiker said:
I know one person who will sleep better during races with AC's retirement ---- Froome ---- ha-ha. My consolation for this Vuelta if AC does not win it is that he messes up Froome's rhythm and gives him some parting nightmares....on the road.

Poor Froome, really poor..... these nightmares... :eek:

Btw, after 11th stage Contador will be ca. 10 min behind Froome.

I hope he will win a stage. Xorret de Catí might just be his best shot, but Angliru would probably be the sweetest. Seems Andorra was a one off - I don't really know whether thats good for the race or not, but we wouldn't have seen him attacking like today with that off-day.

Re:

jilbiker said:
are you watching the same race as me? Froome is easily sitting on Berties wheel, welcome top the sky train bertie

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully when the moment is right Froome may gift him a stage as a retirement present. That is not to say that Contador does not have a chance of winning this race outright, it is the Vuelta.

Re:

arvc40 said:
Hopefully when the moment is right Froome may gift him a stage as a retirement present. That is not to say that Contador does not have a chance of winning this race outright, it is the Vuelta.

I would hope that it would be a stage won on merit, him being the strongest or smartest on that day and not as a gift. That is what a true competitor would prefer.

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
arvc40 said:

I would hope that it would be a stage won on merit, him being the strongest or smartest on that day and not as a gift. That is what a true competitor would prefer.
Just ask Il Pirata! No gifts in cycling please

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:

Yeah Froome seems thoroughly scared, it's breaking up his rhythm to the point where he spends half his time more concerned with whats behind him than whatever aborted attack Trek is brewing up front.

Angliru said:
arvc40 said:

Exactly.
It would be sad if Berto's last win was a gift.

rick james said:
jilbiker said:
are you watching the same race as me? Froome is easily sitting on Berties wheel, welcome top the sky train bertie

It's a tiny line from easily sitting to easily dropping off his wheel, you might see that already on Xorret de Cati. Don't be surprised :p

rick james said:
Screenshot_2017_08_24_22_09_02_1.png

"I'm not going to stop the train. I'm going to break the train."

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

rick james said:
jilbiker said:

Did you read Froome's interview? He was like "I won't let AC go" even at 2.5mins behind? ha-ha. but its consistent with the way Froome has been wary of AC all his career. I really want to see AC one up him before he leaves. Deliberate stick it on Froome.