• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1917 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

jilbiker said:
Did you read Froome's interview? He was like "I won't let AC go" even at 2.5mins behind? ha-ha. but its consistent with the way Froome has been wary of AC all his career. I really want to see AC one up him before he leaves. Deliberate stick it on Froome.

I think you got the personnel switched up there, it was Contador who lost a dauphine to a talentless dude on that Vaughters team because he kept following Froomes wheel in a paranoid stupor thinking it was all some big setup..

And this has been the story of his climbing performances ever since 2013, sitting on Froomes wheel then slowly going backwards.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Jspear said:
arvc40 said:
Hopefully when the moment is right Froome may gift him a stage as a retirement present. That is not to say that Contador does not have a chance of winning this race outright, it is the Vuelta.

Froome would never do that for AC.

I totally see that happening. After beating him in the first presented opportunity though. He needs some stage wins for himself as 2017 was pretty droughty for him as well.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
are you watching the same race as me? Froome is easily sitting on Berties wheel, welcome top the sky train bertie
Screenshot_2017_08_24_22_09_02_1.png

"I'm not going to stop the train. I'm going to break the train."
AC is the only one so far who knows what to do to break this train. You have got to attack very early. What is with pro-cyclist these days, sit on the train and wait?? why not break it up early, disrupt them even if you burn out. you do enough of it and that train will crack. Ridiculous. AC has said whatever now, he is doing his own thing does not care if he burns up. One radical the problem is Froome will not relax a moment if it is AC. The others Chaves and go should take advantage of that

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Froome fears contador because he knows contador can make him lose the race despite knowing contador doesn't have the legs to beat him but can "give" the victory to other rival. Froome started his professional career when contador was the dominant gt rider in the world so the main goal to froome was always surpass contador and become the best gt rider.

hazaran said:
jilbiker said:
Did you read Froome's interview? He was like "I won't let AC go" even at 2.5mins behind? ha-ha. but its consistent with the way Froome has been wary of AC all his career. I really want to see AC one up him before he leaves. Deliberate stick it on Froome.

I think you got the personnel switched up there, it was Contador who lost a dauphine to a talentless dude on that Vaughters team because he kept following Froomes wheel in a paranoid stupor thinking it was all some big setup..

And this has been the story of his climbing performances ever since 2013, sitting on Froomes wheel then slowly going backwards.

Vuelta 2014 Contador begs to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fNXFLtwcM&t=3m14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNwm30MyO4&t=119m36s

Re:

rick james said:
Was coming back on to add more to my post as it seemed a little harsh, contador doesn't need anything gifted from froome he has the form and a chance to fight for the podium, it's not really up to froome what Bertie wins or not
I agree I was just replying to some posters upthread who suggested Froome might gift Contador a stage, I don't see it happening and I don't want to see it happening, rather no wins than a gifted win. Alberto is a big champion, it would be sad and embarrassing for him if his final victory was a gift.

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
Was coming back on to add more to my post as it seemed a little harsh, contador doesn't need anything gifted from froome he has the form and a chance to fight for the podium, it's not really up to froome what Bertie wins or not
I agree I was just replying to some posters upthread who suggested Froome might gift Contador a stage, I don't see it happening and I don't want to see it happening, rather no wins than a gifted win. Alberto is a big champion, it would be sad and embarrassing for him if his final victory was a gift.
100% agree.

hazaran said:
jilbiker said:

Since we're not focusing just on the Tour, at the Vuelta this would not be the case for the most part.

movingtarget said:
Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
I don't see Froome gifting Alberto a stage either, fortunately.

Absolutely agree on all counts.

Would Contador ever gift a stage to Froome ? Probably not. Gifted stages usually go to domestiques or team mates.

He agreed not to contest one in 2009 when Frank won and another in 2010 when Andy won. He didn't gift them, but he certainly didn't try.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Not a Froome's gift but the whole peloton's.
Madrid. Last stage of his career.
No sprint. Contador wins, whole peloton 10 m back.
Even as a Sky fan I must aknowledge such scenario as nice.

One day earlier: amidst apocalyptic thunderstorms Contador attacks on the first climb of the day, thrashes the peloton and takes the leaders jersey as if he was Charly Gaul reborn. :D

...one can dream...

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Jspear said:
movingtarget said:
Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
I don't see Froome gifting Alberto a stage either, fortunately.

Absolutely agree on all counts.

Would Contador ever gift a stage to Froome ? Probably not. Gifted stages usually go to domestiques or team mates.

He agreed not to contest one in 2009 when Frank won and another in 2010 when Andy won. He didn't gift them, but he certainly didn't try.
Yeah, he doesn't have that cannibal instinct. I still don't why he didn't contest the win in 2009 mont ventoux and 2010 tourmalet, these two climbs are mhytical.

rghysens said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

One day earlier: amidst apocalyptic thunderstorms Contador attacks on the first climb of the day, thrashes the peloton and takes the leaders jersey as if he was Charly Gaul reborn. :D

...one can dream...
I once dreamt I saw Contador play a final at Roland Garros. Boy I was confused when I woke up

Red Rick said:
rghysens said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

...one can dream...
I once dreamt I saw Contador play a final at Roland Garros. Boy I was confused when I woke up
Did he play against Murray? If yeah, who did you root for? :lol:

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
rghysens said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

...one can dream...
Did he play against Murray? If yeah, who did you root for? :lol:
Gaston Gaudio. My brain mistook Coria for Contador.