• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1920 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
skippo12 said:
Contador won`t be able to win the race because of the Andorra stage but he might be able to prevent Froome from winning. One long range attack with Nibali or Chavez could be enough for both of them to take the red jersey.

Id rather he not race to make another lose. Thats **** sad !!!!!!!.

More like him trying to win against any odds taking somebody with him.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

arvc40 said:
Climber123 said:
deValtos said:
This is the strongest I've seen Contador since 2015 Giro. I almost wonder if he will be tempted to cancel his retirement again.

Lol saw your post just after stating the same :lol:

Yeagh, he should target the Tour next year. clearly able to stay with Froome today ?????

No, that ship has sailed. The Giro and the Vuelta next year would been great. On form he can still climb like Froome and Quintana. Why stop now?

Re:

deValtos said:
This is the strongest I've seen Contador since 2015 Giro. I almost wonder if he will be tempted to cancel his retirement again.
Agree with both statements. If he can follow Froome in high mountains in Andalucía theres absolutely no reason to retire from a sporting perspective. Considering he wanted to retire after the disappointing Tour this Vuelta may convince him to take half a year extra.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Climber123 said:
arvc40 said:
Climber123 said:
deValtos said:

Lol saw your post just after stating the same :lol:

Yeagh, he should target the Tour next year. clearly able to stay with Froome today ?????

No, that ship has sailed. The Giro and the Vuelta next year would been great. On form he can still climb like Froome and Quintana. Why stop now?

Why stop now ?. Because he does not win any races anymore !. I hope he can but he is not !. He is not going to be content keep coming second is he.

lenric said:
Matteo. said:
Beyond the good performance, today has shown tactical intelligence. He did not go into the red following the second brutal attack of froome, so he had the strength to recover.
Bravo bravo Alberto

This.
Thankfully Contador didn't go into the red. Great ride form Alberto, let's hope that his form keeps increasing.

yep. And I am confident that he will give us other good performances on these muritos.
The big doubt will be on multiple climbs, I'm fear he will lack the endurance, but we'll see

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Wow, just Wow there is real life in those legs still. I know he is retiring but damn, how many riders would just love to have his talent even right now at age 34. All but one I suspect!

Yes indeed ! I agree with the other riders bit !. Although Rigo, Berdet et al where better at the Tour and this is the Vuelta !

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
arvc40 said:
Contador has shown possibility to place 2nd today. Froome dropped him at will and he was lucky the climb flattened out. Great performance all the same.

Froome generous enough to let Alberto cross the line first for a change !.
:rolleyes:
I don't know what to think. I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume you are joking

Damn you sussed me, I was just kidding. If im honest Froome looks weaker than Contador.

Valv.Piti said:
deValtos said:
Agree with both statements. If he can follow Froome in high mountains in Andalucía theres absolutely no reason to retire from a sporting perspective. Considering he wanted to retire after the disappointing Tour this Vuelta may convince him to take half a year extra.
Nah, before the race he said he would retire even if he won. In the Eurosport special it sounded like he wasn't looking forward to another winter preparing, another season with the same races etc. Like he lost motivation, which I guess kinda makes sense after so many near misses and crashes. The first few times you can draw motivation from setbacks, but after a while you start wondering what the point is.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
deValtos said:
Nah, before the race he said he would retire even if he won. In the Eurosport special it sounded like he wasn't looking forward to another winter preparing, another season with the same races etc. Like he lost motivation, which I guess kinda makes sense after so many near misses and crashes. The first few times you can draw motivation from setbacks, but after a while you start wondering what the point is.
#Contador4Cobbles confirmed

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
deValtos said:

Yes he sounded very happy and content with his decision. The man deserves to take a real vacation and he has a team to keep him occupied :).

arvc40 said:
Carols said:
Wow, just Wow there is real life in those legs still. I know he is retiring but damn, how many riders would just love to have his talent even right now at age 34. All but one I suspect!

Yes indeed ! I agree with the other riders bit !. Although Rigo, Berdet et al where better at the Tour and this is the Vuelta !
What's the point... what are you trying to prove.
frankly your posts are just annoying

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Carols said:

What's the point... what are you trying to prove.
frankly your posts are just annoying

LOL that is why I have him on ignore and would have never seen this :)

LaFlorecita said:
Brullnux said:
Great again today, it's a really pity about the stomach bug on Monday. Hopefully the form stays for the high mountain stages as well
I expect him to do much worse in the multi-mountain stages. We've seen it many times in recent years.
I honestly think it's not that bad. The bigger problem has been that he always blew himself up, and he sort of stopped doing that. His reaction to Froome's first acceleration was great, relatively high cadence

TRENDING THREADS