• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1919 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Not a Froome's gift but the whole peloton's.
Madrid. Last stage of his career.
No sprint. Contador wins, whole peloton 10 m back.
Even as a Sky fan I must aknowledge such scenario as nice.

I don't think that would be the best option. I'm hoping he wins the day before. But coming into Madrid, they will do 3 circuits I believe. They should let Contador lead the peloton for a provisional lap or at least lead into the city for the fans, then it's race on at the end. I think the peloton tried to allow George Hincapie do that in his last Tour de France, do the lead solo onto the Champs, but numbnuts Chris Horner didn't get the message.
In any case, Contador will be celebrated someway. I'm just happy he's still fighting and animating this race. I'm going to miss him greatly.

Alberto Contador is an all-time champion, he doesn't need the peloton full of mediocres to gift him a sprint stage in Madrid.

There is something called pride, prestige and honor.

He wins in the Angliru with a Cobertoria attack, or in a crazy scenario involving the most unexpected long-range attack at whatever stage.

Re:

Simurgh said:
Even though he was shortly dropped, he recovered well (or perhaps he didn't want to blow himself up following Froome's acceleration)! I am so excited about Alberto's chances right now! :D VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS
I don't know what happened. Maybe similar to what happened on a stage last year when Berto came back or he got a ride on the TV moto :D

I think tomorrow Contador should have his team work and go for the win. I know there's the risk to be dropped and gift the win to Froome, but it's a risk worth taking.

I hope but I'm not completely sure he'll this good in the high mountains, so better go for it now.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I think tomorrow Contador should have his team work and go for the win. I know there's the risk to be dropped and gift the win to Froome, but it's a risk worth taking.

I hope but I'm not completely sure he'll this good in the high mountains, so better go for it now.

Yep, for someone whose recovery seems to be the problem recently, he needs to capitalise now

Re:

Matteo. said:
Beyond the good performance, today has shown tactical intelligence. He did not go into the red following the second brutal attack of froome, so he had the strength to recover.
Bravo bravo Alberto

This.
Thankfully Contador didn't go into the red. Great ride form Alberto, let's hope that his form keeps increasing.

Damn Contador was strong. The biggest question is if that translates to proper mountain stages like the ones to Calar Alto, La Pandera and Angliru as always with Contador lately. I don't know what to think honestly... that was a proper mano-a-mano tho today with Froome.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
SafeBet said:

Yep, for someone whose recovery seems to be the problem recently, he needs to capitalise now
I think is more lack of endurance

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

skippo12 said:
Contador won`t be able to win the race because of the Andorra stage but he might be able to prevent Froome from winning. One long range attack with Nibali or Chavez could be enough for both of them to take the red jersey.

Id rather he not race to make another lose. Thats *** sad !!!!!!!.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Contador has shown possibility to place 2nd today. Froome dropped him at will and he was lucky the climb flattened out. Great performance all the same.

Froome generous enough to let Alberto cross the line first for a change !.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Climber123 said:
deValtos said:
This is the strongest I've seen Contador since 2015 Giro. I almost wonder if he will be tempted to cancel his retirement again.

Lol saw your post just after stating the same :lol:

Yeagh, he should target the Tour next year. clearly able to stay with Froome today ?????