• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1922 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Carols said:
Wow, just Wow there is real life in those legs still. I know he is retiring but damn, how many riders would just love to have his talent even right now at age 34. All but one I suspect!

Yes indeed ! I agree with the other riders bit !. Although Rigo, Berdet et al where better at the Tour and this is the Vuelta !
What's the point... what are you trying to prove.
frankly your posts are just annoying

By the way I do respect your opinion and the fact that you have not put me on ignore because that is pathetic !. Most of my comments are fairly reasonable.
you're just going on and on about the same thing ... you believe Froome is genetically vastly superior, you're entitled to your opinion but we heard you the first time you posted it which was like several weeks ago... there's no need to repeat it after every stage and definitely not 10 times. :)
Kids do that to get our attention

I hope Contador and Froome can work together to distance the others, much like today although on a greater scale. This is win-win for both of those guys. Unless Froome has a disastrous day or incident, I don't see Contador putting much, if any, time into Froome. By Froome helping/joining up with Contador, he will win favor with the Spanish fans and secure his Vuelta position. In the end, I would really like to see Contador on the podium. I think that would certainly means he goes out almost on top. That would help erase some of the pain of the previous few years with the Tour.

I am also hoping Contador realize that he could have a legitimate chance at next year's Giro. Maybe he'll reconsider after a few weeks post-Vuelta and go for the Giro and that be the end. That I think would be cool.

benzwire said:
I hope Contador and Froome can work together to distance the others, much like today although on a greater scale. This is win-win for both of those guys. Unless Froome has a disastrous day or incident, I don't see Contador putting much, if any, time into Froome. By Froome helping/joining up with Contador, he will win favor with the Spanish fans and secure his Vuelta position. In the end, I would really like to see Contador on the podium. I think that would certainly means he goes out almost on top. That would help erase some of the pain of the previous few years with the Tour.

I am also hoping Contador realize that he could have a legitimate chance at next year's Giro. Maybe he'll reconsider after a few weeks post-Vuelta and go for the Giro and that be the end. That I think would be cool.

Trek is likely in talks with Uran and Woods now that Cannondale's future in serious doubt, using the freed cash from Contador's retirement. I'm fairly certain he's determined to end his competitive career in Madrid, regardless of his performance. There will be a huge void to fill. :(

gregrowlerson said:
Valv.Piti said:
Really hope Contador and Trek will look to close the race, Contador have great chances of winning tomorrow.

Agree.

It's a little frustrating that he has been the moral victor on two stages now....but for the bloody breakaway!

If there was no breakaway, Froome would try harder as well. Of course AC has a chance of beating Froome in a one on one mountain sprint, but if the breakaways weren't there, the dynamic would be entirely different.

Re:

Singer01 said:
If the opportunity to work with Froome arises, should he take it if it means securing a podium spot/stage win, or should he go all in to win?
One doesn't exclude the other... to have a chance to win he needs time on many others as well so yes work with Froome if necessary.
You can bet though if we're in the third week with Contador in 2nd place 3 minutes down with 2 minutes on his nearest rival - neither Froome nor Contador will have any reason to work together.

Re:

bambino said:
Ezaro is less than 2km, he is not Valverde at the end.

La Campenora is 8km, hardly comparable to 4km in terms of the needed stamina.

He lost 8 sec in Pena Caparga which I regard being there with the bests.
He was dropped by several riders including Quintana on Ezaro...
And no, he wasn't eith the best on Pena Cabarga.
Just compare it to this years Vuelta where he was with Froome on all of Ermita Sta. Lucia, Garbi and Xorret de Cati which is the definition of being with the best.

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
He wasn't with Froome all the way yesterday. At the end Froome dropped him, I guess we'll see the same today.
Didn't watch the stage so I only know that he and Froome arrived st (were they together at the top of the climb?)
Still being dropped by only Froome is much better than finishing on the same time as König on Pena Cabarga.
He got dropped badly near the top then somehow managed to get back to within 2 or 3 seconds, a moto may have been involved. Thanks to the downhill he could close the final gap quite easily. He looked good no matter what but it was obvious Froome was stronger.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
He wasn't with Froome all the way yesterday. At the end Froome dropped him, I guess we'll see the same today.
Didn't watch the stage so I only know that he and Froome arrived st (were they together at the top of the climb?)
Still being dropped by only Froome is much better than finishing on the same time as König on Pena Cabarga.
He got dropped badly near the top then somehow managed to get back to within 2 or 3 seconds, a moto may have been involved. Thanks to the downhill he could close the final gap quite easily. He looked good no matter what but it was obvious Froome was stronger.

I would say Alberto was too over eager together with Woods and Yates at the bottom of the climb yesterday. He paid for it towards the top but somehow saved the day.