• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 243 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Using a more conservative tactic Contador could maybe have finished a couple of seconds closer, but Froome was just much better today. To win Contador had to take time today, losing less wouldn't have helped him. His attacks were fine.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Then it makes to wonder why Contador attacks from 6k to go? It couldn't be accidental because the guy has huge experience. Very likely, he attacked since he considered much stronger than all the rest otherwise such a brazen move is like suicide. One can recognize that he is a 'puppy' only committing an attack like that. I think Contador was right when he decided to make a move, because it was the only way to check out how good Sky are and I'm saying so not because he lost. Sure, he could wait until the last 1.5-2 km to go, but there is no guarantee that he would turn out to be the strongest in this case, because we have an explosive climber Froome and Nibali who obviously worked well on his explosiveness.

I know that you subscribe to the notion that other riders have improved to the extent that they can challenge Contador. While I agree with this in part I believe more that Contador has dropped a few levels. Nibali may have worked on his explosiveness but to rival / better Contador is very odd. We saw a similar situation with j rod in the vuelta.

Contador came in today with Uran, this simply wouldn't have happened with Contador of old.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
So, the reason he shouldn't have waited for the last 1.5-2km is that "there is no guarantee that he would turn out to be the strongest", unlike when he would attack earlier, in which case it would be guaranteed that he is the strongest and that he isn't reeled in. Except no, that's absurd.

Airtight reasoning from airstream.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Ok, a theory (that you might have liked) is that he was still training hard to get a peak for the ardennes (like Gilbert and so on)

You know that's bull**** lol

I said that in T-A there are no excuses, he should be pretty good there. But ok it's just one day, his recuperation is his strength.

Maybe with some rain something might be possible on lanciano :cool:

There are really no excuses, i can't find any. Ok he shouldn't have attacked 2 times but that **** used to not matter.

Please Contador prove me wrong tomorrow :D

Miburo said:
You know that's bull**** lol

I said that in T-A there are no excuses, he should be pretty good there. But ok it's just one day, his recuperation is his strength.

Maybe with some rain something might be possible on lanciano :cool:

There are really no excuses, i can't find any. Ok he shouldn't have attacked 2 times but that **** used to not matter.

Please Contador prove me wrong tomorrow :D

Did not say it was likely :p

willbick said:
i really dont understand all the contador love on here. if u wanna see someone attacking all the time by cheating u might as well cheer on a guy on a motorbike

1. take it to the clinic
2. I'd rather watch a sole cheater providing exciting racing than a bunch of cheaters making every race more boring the the last one (might belong in the clinic)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
1. take it to the clinic
2. I'd rather watch a sole cheater providing exciting racing than a bunch of cheaters making every race more boring the the last one (might belong in the clinic)

Froome is able to improve to go ballistic in a Verbier style. Believe.
Will you start supporting him? I doubt.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
I know that you subscribe to the notion that other riders have improved to the extent that they can challenge Contador. While I agree with this in part I believe more that Contador has dropped a few levels.
It is too debatable question to take one of the sides entirely. Truth is always in the middle. One gets weaker others start looking better on one's background, other gets stronger and one looks weaker compared to other and so on...
Contador came in today with Uran, this simply wouldn't have happened with Contador of old.
Uran was weaker when they competed in person last time. The difference between riders rarely stays constant.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Like I said in another thread, Contador needs to stay behind the Sky train until the final few km's, and then go completely berserk. He did the exact opposite today. He's not far above anyone else, as if it was 2009, but this is reality. He needs to stop believing his fairytale self he once was, but he seems a little bit stuck there.

Time for AC to get serious and race more like Froome did today. Harsh for himself and his fans, but realistic.

yes, that's one good solution

another good solution is to do multiple attacks from far out like at the vuelta last year. Valverde and Rodriguez will be at the tour de france this year, with the 3 of them, and any other rider willing to attack, they should be able to isolate Froome relatively early on

multiple, strong attacks will/should manage to derail team sky's train:
today when Contador attacked at 6km, Cataldo popped
when Nibali attacked at 1.9km, Haeno popped

that's 2 sky riders popping in 3 attacks - Contador (at 6km, 2.3km), Nibali (1.9km)

once Froome is isolated it will turn a bit into "Froome against the national spanish team" and the advantage will be for Contador

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Like I said in another thread, Contador needs to stay behind the Sky train until the final few km's, and then go completely berserk.
If a working decision had been that simple, Contador would have guessed.

I'm asking not to consider my words a ridicule — I'm being serious — but Froome could win today's stage going solo in a more spectacular fashion too, but the plan was to use team tactical building maximally because this option was more realiable.

airstream said:
It is too debatable question to take one of the sides entirely. Truth is always in the middle. One gets weaker others start looking better on one's background, other gets stronger and one looks weaker compared to other and so on...

Uran was weaker when they competed in person last time. The difference between riders rarely stays constant.

Uran has never competed against Contador period. Yet he drives up a mountain like a madman and counters everything else thrown at Sky to deliver his boss and can still be within 5 seconds. Your ridiculous assertions are starting to wear very thin with this mod.

airstream said:
If a working decision had been that simple, Contador would have guessed.

I'm asking not to consider my words a ridicule — I'm being serious — but Froome could win today's stage going solo in a more spectacular fashion too, but the plan was to use team tactical building maximally because this option was more realiable.

No, I don't think you are being serious, I think you are surfing the edge of trolling and baiting.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Uran has never competed against Contador period. Yet he drives up a mountain like a madman and counters everything else thrown at Sky to deliver his boss and can still be within 5 seconds. Your ridiculous assertions are starting to wear very thin with this mod.

I know that you are an adherent of opinion about a big difference between Alberto and other guys, but Andy and I respect your opinion, BUT Uran was approximately 15 th in the 2011 Tour. If he hadn't crashed on the Izoard descent, he could have won the Maillot Blanc and could of been 10-11th. He finished 6th in the Giro. 6th in the Giro (I'm saying about an abstact guy, no matter who) and Contador is not already a gulf, especially considering Uran's age. Sure, we can look into bare names (palmares) and riders' actual strength and it is stupid to compare their names and titles, however their actual strength is quite comparable, howsoever it could be painful.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
ferryman said:

Yet, this comment sounds more like clinic talk to me... Airstream is making a fair point here. Contador is nowhere near his best career form and Uran is nearing the best years in his career. Of course they should be very close now, Uran worked hard and Contador attacked a lot.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
No, I don't think you are being serious, I think you are surfing the edge of trolling and baiting.

I'm prophesying Froome Verbier show since Pena Cabarga and to me it is rather logical. He'll necessarily indulge us one day. You dislike my opinion. OK, I can understand your disappointment...

Your ridiculous assertions are starting to wear very thin with this mod.
I suppose you are a conservator who doesn't want to put up with thought that some guy are eager to achieve Contador's level and work hard for it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You know it's bad when even the most optimistic guys lose faith :(

I hate that ****ing ban, it ruined everything, ruined Alberto's whole career :mad:

You know it's bad when i'm not thinking you're being crazy right now :(

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
You know it's bad when i'm not thinking you're being crazy right now :(

What we don't know is how much scope there is for AC to improve. With Froome appearing so strong it's easy to conclude that AC is finished. Ban aside, nearly all top cyclists in the peloton go through a bad period and are written off. Boonen pre 2012. Gilbert looked like a shadow of his former self at the start of last year etc