• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 312 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
xrayvision said:
His legs are not supposed to feel that good...yet Carol.
Have faith in that Riis and AC knows what they doing, so far from what I´ve seen, the team is looking pretty good and prepared, not anything like the early season.
We will see some truth the coming week. :)

Alas I will be away and won't see Dauphine/Suisse; unless I can find coverage in Finland/Sweden!! See you all in 16 days :) Hopefully good news is reported on Bertie's form!
 
xrayvision said:
I think it has do with a new approach. He been used to managing his own training, scheduled his entire season as he wanted to, and now it all been laid in Bjarnes hands. Riis have for a long time wanted him to prepare differently than he was used to, and this season he had his will.

I´m pretty sure we will see a fit for fight and confident Alberto in Dauphine, and to me it sounds he has reasons for his confidence. He will remove all doubts in 10 days time, and we will all have something to look forward to the 29th of june.

EDIT: Except air of course.

I think that I read somewhere that Riis was very worried about Contador's shape after FW in 2011, and Contador just said: "give me two weeks, and I'll be ready." A few weeks later, Giro 2011 happened
 
Jan 10, 2012
451
0
0
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I think that I read somewhere that Riis was very worried about Contador's shape after FW in 2011, and Contador just said: "give me two weeks, and I'll be ready." A few weeks later, Giro 2011 happened

No, that's not the correct story. That discussion took place before the start of that season, when they were planning the racing calender. Riis put together a racing schedule for Alberto at the first training camp. Alberto saw it and said "Bjarne, I don't need that many races. Give me two weeks, and I'll be ready."

It's without a doubt that they have different views on how to prepare for races. Contador is always ready, he maintains a pretty high level and only needs a really hard training block on top of that to become in top shape. Riis doesn't quite get that, probably because he's just not used to that level, nor were his former leaders. Bjarne prefers to gradually build towards peak condition. Racing to build form, not to fight for the win every time.

For Contador it always was pretty much the other way around: you train at home and in the races you try to go full gas. Considering the amount of races he is doing now, his slightly below par form and the fact that he's only just now had his first (old school) intense block of training could imply that Bjarne finally got some influence on his schedule and preparation. If it turns out to be a steep curve of peak condition like Andy and Ivan in the past, Contador actually could be flying in July.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Visit site
Don't know what to make of this but Brian Smith just said he has been told Contador is struggling with form. Obviously someone is feeding him this. The training camp mightn't of gone well for him after all if this is to believed. Only today he said the overall for the Dauphhine wasn't a big objective. Maybe he's playing down his chances for this very reason.

Brian Smith ‏@BriSmithy 20m
Lets look forward to the Dauphine....I have been told that Contador is struggling with his form also....interesting times!
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Visit site
well, hold your breathe and don't expect contador to win Dauphine.

excerpt from his interview:
"Every time I've raced the Dauphiné," he continued, "it's been for gearing up for the Tour. I've come second [in 2010], third [in 2009] and sixth [in 2007] here before and once again, I'll race without thinking of the overall victory. The Tour is the goal. I'm motivated. I need to resume racing and ride long climbs. Shall there be a day to test myself, I'll give it a go but I'm looking at a bigger picture. The overall classification of the Tour de France is the one I want to win."
 
gooner said:
Don't know what to make of this but Brian Smith just said he has been told Contador is struggling with form. Obviously someone is feeding him this. The training camp mightn't of gone well for him after all if this is to believed. Only today he said the overall for the Dauphhine wasn't a big objective. Maybe he's playing down his chances for this very reason.

Contador never tries to win the Dauphine and why would someone privy to the training camp tell that he was doing poorly? Other than to sandbag?
 
Jan 15, 2013
909
0
0
Visit site
Carols said:
Alas I will be away and won't see Dauphine/Suisse; unless I can find coverage in Finland/Sweden!! See you all in 16 days :) Hopefully good news is reported on Bertie's form!

I know channel norge 2 will live stream from dauphine, and they can watch norge 2 in Sweden, so maybe you can follow the race from there.
Good luck.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Visit site
Publicus said:
Contador never tries to win the Dauphine and why would someone privy to the training camp tell that he was doing poorly? Other than to sandbag?

Contador tried to win in 2010 but had an average TT and couldn't get it back on Alpe d'Huez. His poor TT form was carried on into the Tour and was significantly worse. He went flat out in that Dauphine.

Smith isn't on about his performances in Pais Vasco, LBL and FW as he said "I'm told" his form is bad. We know he had poor form by his standards in these races and the way Smith said it he was implying it was more of a recent thing and outside of what we have seen from Contador in racing this year. It mightn't be told directly to him from the training camp or whatever. It could easily be second hand information for all we know. I don't know but what he said is definitely open to interpretation after he publicly says it.
 
The Hitch said:
Well i recall contador said before Dauphine 2010 that it wasnt really an aim, and he used it to try out his new tt bike, but i agree that Contador fans should be worried with the Smith tweet.

As a fan, I'm not worried in the least bit. Contador says he's pleased with his preparations and that's enough for me. I don't expect him to win and frankly would be worried if he did.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,594
0
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well i recall contador said before Dauphine 2010 that it wasnt really an aim, and he used it to try out his new tt bike, but i agree that Contador fans should be worried with the Smith tweet.

Worrying for any one who wants and interesting Tour. Smith is a guy who is usually well-informed. That said Contador is known to be able to get in form fast.

Anyways hé also writes that Stannard will leave Sky (and as already known Uran)

Hé also indicates that Wiggo's knee injury is BS
 
May 24, 2010
855
1
0
Visit site
This
Beech Mtn said:
11_liege.jpg

to this

That's about 6 kilos, I'm very much in the wait and see category but just looking at the physiological changes between LBL and now is enough to say he's getting there.

Smithy is pretty well informed but I doubt at this stage Riis will allow anything other than sandbagging. As DS Riis is focussed on Contador, Berto has never had that before. Hog was running on past laurels with Berto trying to fund the replacement for HWMNBN.

Lets wait and see, I am confident we'll see something special come July if not this week :)
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
Experience of assessing sportsmen looking at body fat proprotions against muscle tissue that sort of thing, i'm probably right +/- 1KG.

I fear you cannot imagine how redundant 6 kilos would weaken even such an amazing athlete like Contador. It that had been 6 kg, there wouldn't have been any talk about attacks.
 
Sep 3, 2012
638
0
0
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
This


to this


That's about 6 kilos, I'm very much in the wait and see category but just looking at the physiological changes between LBL and now is enough to say he's getting there.

Smithy is pretty well informed but I doubt at this stage Riis will allow anything other than sandbagging. As DS Riis is focussed on Contador, Berto has never had that before. Hog was running on past laurels with Berto trying to fund the replacement for HWMNBN.


Lets wait and see, I am confident we'll see something special come July if not this week :)


I thought the top picture was recent? If so how could he loose 6 kilos? Just asking.
 
May 24, 2010
855
1
0
Visit site
airstream said:
I fear you cannot imagine how redundant 6 kilos would weaken even such an amazing athlete like Contador. It that had been 6 kg, there wouldn't have been any talk about attacks.

"Talk of attacks" ........isn't this your standard BS troll-line that he can't attack any more?

Look at the rolls over his knees, the paunch of his stomach, there is mass on his body you'd never have seen before in the way he was always prepped. He is older so his body is changing and that's also an issue. In addition to body fat you can carry up to ten pounds in excess fluid in your body tissues that is fairly easy to shed (part of the reason diuretics are banned). Burning body fat as opposed to glycogen stores is about working at certain threshold levels which most of us do when on our bikes they are different for all of us.

I'm quite confident in those numbers and 6kg (+/-1kg) is not as debilitating for a supreme athlete as you might think. It would explain why he couldn't attack and sustain attacks they way we'd have expected at St Luis or Pais Vasco or Oman or the Ardennes, but he could still compete just not they way we'd expect. Don't forget it wasn't unusual for the likes of Ullrich to have to lose 10kg before a tour.

Confidence punters confidence; sandbagging and putting the opposition off gurad in the Dauphine and Suisse are part of the Tour prep.

(PS Airstream - for info I was until a year or so ago(when I retired) a IIHF Level 3 hockey coach, part of my preseason job was ensuring my players shed their summer fat in readiness for the new season, fitness and conditioning are the same theories whatever sport you are in)
 
Jan 15, 2013
909
0
0
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
"It's too early for me to tell in what condition I am right now. There's still one month to go to the start of the Tour de France and the third week will be very difficult."

Sounds like he is not confident at all..

Why??
He´s just being realistic, fact is there´s still 1 month to tour start, why would he reveal anything prior to the time it really counts?

He been ready every freaking tour he has ridden, with or without fatigue, and he be ready this tour as well. If anything, Bjarne make sure of that.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
4
0
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
"It's too early for me to tell in what condition I am right now. There's still one month to go to the start of the Tour de France and the third week will be very difficult."

Sounds like he is not confident at all..

Damn Fleur, you were having hope for a week orso and now it's gone again :D

The only reason why he says this is cause you jinxed him by voting on him for winning le tour