• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 381 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
It's observed, not made up.

Compare Froome's Tour-Vuelta with Contador's Giro-Tour.

It's not a proof, just a sequence of circumstances taken in a pile with a goal to serve it the way someone needs. More presicely, it's anyway an argument, but it's so indirect and consisting so many particulars that looks far-fetched All the more so everyone understands thathe 2011 Tour had included a beast like today's Froome, Contador's race ended up in the Pyrenees yet.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:

And if Airstream states that it doesn't say anything about the fact that Froome's recovery is bad since not many can perform good back to back GT's.

It must then say something about Contador's great recovery, right? ;)

xrayvision said:
Another interesting statement during an interview with Lars Seier Christensen on danish TV, in company in the car with Riis today, Bjarne stated that Berto is planned to peak in 10 days from today, and everything goes as planned. ;)

Btw, how come we are not hearing from air today? :D

Geez you brought him here.....just when we were having decent conversations :(

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
And if Airstream states that it doesn't say anything about the fact that Froome's recovery is bad since not many can perform good back to back GT's.

It must then say something about Contador's great recovery, right? ;)

I don't say it's completely wrong. But it's so situative that simply can not be extrapolated on the present. To take 2011 season with millions factors and 2012 with millions its factors and make an allegedly transparent conclusion as you do. I wouldn't do like that because big self-deception is laid in that.

Rider Contador rode better in the Giro-Tour in 2011 than rider Froome rode Tour-Vuelta in 2011. What does it tell about? That Contador has better recovery in general? Non. It just says Contador did his 2 GTs more meaningfuly and brightly in terms of spectacle (they were equal by sum of spots).

Ill agree with airstream (or what im guessing he said cos i didnt bother actually reading what he said) that you cant judge froomes recovery on that 1 event. And i really doubt froomes recovery is poor. Isnt having a year long peak like he is currently on actually a sign of good recovery?

Anyway unfortunately the whole debate on recovery is to me totally subverted by the fact that the clinic has a far bigger impact on that particular physiological aspect than any other. Peoples recovery can improve or decline from race to race in manners which even their climbing and tting cannot, and same is true for their opposition so one simply cannot read too much into recovery at all.

xrayvision said:
Another interesting statement during an interview with Lars Seier Christensen on danish TV, in company in the car with Riis today, Bjarne stated that Berto is planned to peak in 10 days from today, and everything goes as planned. ;)

Btw, how come we are not hearing from air today? :D

I do wonder if this is aimed at getting Froome to start wasting bullets NOW rather than holding his fire. In any event, it really seems that there is a fair amount of truth to what AC has maintained all year (peaking for the Tour). He looked good out there today.

Netserk said:

Froome rode as a domestique in the Tour while Contador was gifting stages in the Giro. It's a bit early to be talking about recovery after 4 stages. Just because Contador has targeted the third week to hit his peak does not mean that others won't have done the same or be just as good. Everyone wants to be good in the third week as that's where the race is usually won and lost.

BOPP_JeCEAAcm-c.jpg:large

blue hood covers. where is parrulo?

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
I do wonder if this is aimed at getting Froome to start wasting bullets NOW rather than holding his fire. In any event, it really seems that there is a fair amount of truth to what AC has maintained all year (peaking for the Tour). He looked good out there today.

Naaa, I don´t think Froomey watch danish TV :p

I would say you are right, this has been the setup for the entire season, also for his doms, Noval is doing great, Bennati is still there on the climbs, and Roche and Kreuziger both looks incredible strong. I would say Saxo has the better team over Froome this time...as predicted months ago :p

A nice little addition: Rolf Sørensen rode with the motor cycles yesterday during the TTT, and were following Omega and Saxo most of the way, he said Kreuziger was the biggest engine and took some huge leads where he matched Tony Martins top speed with 65 kmt on the long stretch.

The team is ready, no doubt about it, if it´s enough only time will tell, but Bjarne was more happy than Lars Seier Christensen had seen him for a long time. Bjarne would leave the tour probably today, but word is he will be back for the Pyrenees.

The summary is quite simple:

Contador has more slightly more class as a rider than Froome, but Froome's form was better heading into TdF.

Andy Schleck has alot of class but is in a terrible form rut.
Wiggins had out of this world form in 2012, but his (relative) lack of class as a climber/descender has shown up this year.

He still has great class as a TTer so may still be able to do something in the World Champs this year, though he is against Tony Martin who has great class and form as a TTer at the moment.

Class is permanent, form temporary...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Tell that to ze football pundits. :D

I don't know... To me such statements are always very doubtable. Say, Barcelona's fans would say that Bayern or Real lack class. It's pretty funny to think about that. Everyone defends its sandbox :)

TRENDING THREADS