• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 383 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Cinelli64 said:
Noval most likely fell back due to his injury from yesterday. Jesus just have to complete the flat stages within the time limit and be ready for the mountains since GC is completely meaningless to him.

I mean that some of Saxo boys crashed...

Carols said:
Well Andy has class, always has. With form and an ITT light parcours he could win a GT (on the road). A GT like the Vuelta most likely.

Sagan has class but isn't likely to ever win a GT, same for Fabu, Gilbert, etc. Many riders with class that will never win a GT but shine in their area of expertise.

Even Lance (gag) had class from day one, just not GT class, one day class.

Bertie has always had class, the question is will he find the form and recover from his injuries. And yes if he loses it won't be because he was outclassed by whoever beats him, simply that his class couldn't overcome the current obstacles. Sh*t happens :(

Andy has class ascending a mountain but when he has to descend and then hop on a TT bike the class kind of disappears. As for style, many riders look different. Contador just looks so smooth but other riders like Froome who looks awkward and Evans who always looks like he is straining still get good results. I think all three are classy riders in different ways. Andy also has class but more discipline in correcting his weaknesses or trying to, would probably made him even better.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't get alberto today. His team was riding strong upfront.. and it's pretty obvious his team mate kept looking around trying to find him. He kept loosing the wheel of his teammate????? why??? it's kinda funny to see.. at some point..there's 3 guys upfront and kept looking at the back.. and the guy at the back shake his head as if he said.. i don't know where he is???

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I don't get alberto today. His team was riding strong upfront.. and it's pretty obvious his team mate kept looking around trying to find him. He kept loosing the wheel of his teammate????? why??? it's kinda funny to see.. at some point..there's 3 guys upfront and kept looking at the back.. and the guy at the back shake his head as if he said.. i don't know where he is???

Don't you know Alberto? :rolleyes:

He sucks at keeping the wheel of his teammates.

Jelantik said:

yes it happened on other stages too. 5-6 teammates on the front and Alberto nowhere to be seen.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
In 2 days we'll know everything guys or at least 90% from everything. ;) I tend to think other mountain stages won't bring new sensations compared to Ax-3. Contador should attack.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
In 2 days we'll know everything guys or at least 90% from everything. ;) I tend to think other mountain stages won't bring new sensations compared to Ax-3. Contador should attack.

About Andy's form? Yes because he (and his recently fired brother) are fighting for their future in 2014.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
IMO if Alberto can stay with Froome and manages to limit his losses in the tt he still has a big chance to win. I expect him to lose time on the MTF and about a minute in the tt though.

He couldn't stay with Froome on a plateau in Valmorel so you expect to stay on a 8% climb? You will say it was just Dauphine and he was testing. I will say he would have been the happiest man in the world to beat Froome after all the ko's he got from Froome and even his gregario's this season. It would have been a huge moral thing for him.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:

I don't think Contador will peak until the 3rd week. I think Ax3 will be about limiting the loss for him.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
McLovin said:
He couldn't stay with Froome on a plateau in Valmorel so you expect to stay on a 8% climb? You will say it was just Dauphine and he was testing. I will say he would have been the happiest man in the world to beat Froome after all the ko's he got from Froome and even his gregario's this season. It would have been a huge moral thing for him.

According to himself he was at 75% in Dauphiné, 90% at the start of the Tour and the plan is to hit 100% in the 3rd week.

I think he will lose time on Ax3, but the key is if he can limit it to like 30 secs. That would be more than acceptable.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:

Ye I have said that for a long time. It is just weird. I think its a mix of his natural tendency to flicker around and the fact that other riders have an easy time to push him away from his "train" in the mid of the fight for position

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
Ye I have said that for a long time. It is just weird. I think its a mix of his natural tendency to flicker around and the fact that other riders have an easy time to push him away from his "train" in the mid of the fight for position

Saxo needs to have riders on either side of him. Its as if he goes into a trance following wheels in the peleton.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
In fact Contador would have been dropped by Froome at Valmorel from 400 meters to go if there hadn't been a little little descent before final 150 meters. Froome started sprinting and there was a little gap already which was neutralized with a downhill piece. On the other hand if Contador hadn't made a move back then, Busche could've taken a stage...So Contador obviously felt some reserve. He was pretty good on that day

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
According to himself he was at 75% in Dauphiné, 90% at the start of the Tour and the plan is to hit 100% in the 3rd week.

I think he will lose time on Ax3, but the key is if he can limit it to like 30 secs. That would be more than acceptable.

30 sec at Ax-3? Damn, it would be a blazing defeat. How to put into 2 min in the Alps? I don't think Contador will lose 30 sec at Ax-3, surely if Froome is not head and shoulders better than others. Sky are very likely to give a team initiative to Saxo-Tinkoff at the stage the day after tomorrow.

McLovin said:

I expect him to lose time on the MTF and about a minute in the tt though.

:confused: