• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 384 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cimber said:
According to himself he was at 75% in Dauphiné, 90% at the start of the Tour and the plan is to hit 100% in the 3rd week.

I think he will lose time on Ax3, but the key is if he can limit it to like 30 secs. That would be more than acceptable.

I think losing 30 seconds would be really bad for Contador in scheme of things. If we are going to go along with The theory he will peak third week, then he needs to be strong enough to stay with Froome in early mountains, and then drop him in final week. Froome, so far at least this year, has looked supreme in the mountains. I think Contador's best options are to isolate Froome and Porte as early as possible, and I also think a big early attack like at the Vuelta may be his best option. Tactically Contador is very good, but The time trials could prove too much for him to claw back in my humble opinion.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
I think losing 30 seconds would be really bad for Contador in scheme of things. If we are going to go along with The theory he will peak third week, then he needs to be strong enough to stay with Froome in early mountains, and then drop him in final week. Froome, so far at least this year, has looked supreme in the mountains. I think Contador's best options are to isolate Froome and Porte as early as possible, and I also think a big early attack like at the Vuelta may be his best option. Tactically Contador is very good, but The time trials could prove too much for him to claw back in my humble opinion.

Of course he would be disappointed to lose time to Froome on Ax3. I however would expect it. One thing is that the plan is for Contador to peak in the third week, but I also think a part of it is hoping that Froom will go from 100% to maybe 98% from Ax3 till the 3rd week.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
100%, 75%, 90% and now 98%????!!!!
Are we talking about smartphones in Quadrant? Those percents are just estimations, riders are not computers. You really think a rider can say he is at 98%? Maybe as a joke. 90, 100 are generic numbers...but 98?? Are we talking about Pro Cylcing Manager?
Regarding Bonascre, I think none of us knows what's going to hit us.I'm talking about Froome. Contador fans, Froome fans, Cameron Meyer fans, whatever...we don't have a clue. It's my opinion but I guess everybody feels it, even some don't like to admit it. Let's just hope that whatever this guy is going to do, he's honest. Cycling doesn't need another scam.

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am a big contador fan.

But the things are not good.

Froome is in top form.

We did not know yet about Contador form... he is better than in dauphine... but after the crash... what was already hard got worse.

I will be very happy if contador can stay with froome on saturday!

The theory of Contador losing time this coming Saturday is simply that- a Theory
There are many factors to consider:
Froome may out sprint him to gain a handful of secs- that's a given.
Froome to drop Contador-hhmmm - I hold my breath. Yes- Froome has dropped him in previous races-we know that-but now we're at The Tour,where the "entire competition is at top level"- so single out Contador here to be defeated by Froome is hard, considering that Purito, Quintana, Valverde, Rolland, Pinot-even Andy Schleck -and others will try as well to upset Sky's train & the pressure will be resting on their shoulders to chase down & control-big ask for Kiry, Lopez, EBH & Porte to deliver though....

and that's where Contador will profit from that situation....;)

remember what I wrote here for the coming stages...;):D:)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
oh boy, all this bs starts again :rolleyes:

Watch the race and shut the f.. up, nobody knows anything but AC and Riis.

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 3h
Thanks @jesushernandez3 @Benna80 @Roman86_K @sergiompaulinho @nicholasroche @mickrogers @Toso_74 &Bejamin Noval,you are GREAT!!! #Tdf2013

xrayvision said:
oh boy, all this bs starts again :rolleyes:

Watch the race and shut the f.. up, nobody knows anything but AC and Riis.

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 3h
Thanks @jesushernandez3 @Benna80 @Roman86_K @sergiompaulinho @nicholasroche @mickrogers @Toso_74 &Bejamin Noval,you are GREAT!!! #Tdf2013

Yer we should just close the forum really.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
McLovin said:
100%, 75%, 90% and now 98%????!!!!
Are we talking about smartphones in Quadrant? Those percents are just estimations, riders are not computers. You really think a rider can say he is at 98%? Maybe as a joke. 90, 100 are generic numbers...but 98?? Are we talking about Pro Cylcing Manager?
Regarding Bonascre, I think none of us knows what's going to hit us.I'm talking about Froome. Contador fans, Froome fans, Cameron Meyer fans, whatever...we don't have a clue. It's my opinion but I guess everybody feels it, even some don't like to admit it. Let's just hope that whatever this guy is going to do, he's honest. Cycling doesn't need another scam.

Talk about missing the point. Ok I will try without the numbers since they seem to confuse you.

The plan is that Alberto should peak in the 3rd week (Riis and Tikov have stated that). Furthermore I expect that they sincerely hope that it will be the opposite situation for Froome, i.e. that his form will slightly deteriorate in the 3rd week (meaning that he will be better on Ax3 than he will in the alpes, while the opposite should be the case with Contador).

Anyways, there is a whole other thread for the Froome vs. Contador discussions so lets continue such discussions there.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
In 2 days we'll know everything guys or at least 90% from everything. ;) I tend to think other mountain stages won't bring new sensations compared to Ax-3. Contador should attack.
No,he should not.He should wait what Sky and Froome will do.
airstream said:
30 sec at Ax-3? Damn, it would be a blazing defeat. How to put into 2 min in the Alps? I don't think Contador will lose 30 sec at Ax-3, surely if Froome is not head and shoulders better than others. Sky are very likely to give a team initiative to Saxo-Tinkoff at the stage the day after tomorrow.

Why?They like to 'control' the race.Just send Kiri to the front for 150k.

Cimber said:
Talk about missing the point. Ok I will try without the numbers since they seem to confuse you.

The plan is that Alberto should peak in the 3rd week (Riis and Tikov have stated that). Furthermore I expect that they sincerely hope that it will be the opposite situation for Froome, i.e. that his form will slightly deteriorate in the 3rd week (meaning that he will be better on Ax3 than he will in the alpes, while the opposite should be the case with Contador).

Anyways, there is a whole other thread for the Froome vs. Contador discussions so lets continue such discussions there.

Are there any links to actual statements from those referenced above that they in fact are anticipating a drop in Froome's form as the Tour progresses? It just seems rather ludicrous to gear one's success on such a variable.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Are there any links to actual statements from those referenced above that they in fact are anticipating a drop in Froome's form as the Tour progresses? It just seems rather ludicrous to gear one's success on such a variable.

No their plan is that Contador is peaking in the 3rd week and will set things straight then. The part about Froome is just my speculation regarding what they hope for on top of that (icing on the cake if it happens so to speak)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador don't need a drop in Froome's form, he should only look at himself and if he's still the same man he'll get the job done.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
airstream said:
So if Contador loses the Tour it will be a defeat of the rider of a higher class?

Yeh their will be no congratulations comming Froome's way that's for sure, it will be Contador is not on form etc. I can promise if Alberto wins I will be in this section straight away giving him credit for the mother of all comebacks but La Flo wont do it to Froome.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hitch you do make me laugh, what is so wrong about getting into Cycling at a certain time, your probably one of those who think because you watched Cycling longer or before someone then your opinion counts more. It's like if fans sign up in July so be it what is so wrong with watching the TDF and being a fan of a certain rider or team. I can assure you its just like me in 2004 being a big fan of Basso, and I bet when Contador came along their were fans. So when Froome becomes good what is so wrong with supporting them? Lets be honest if Alberto was gruppeto rider he would have hardly any fans just like in 09 with Froome, everyone needs to start somewere. The reason I bought this up is because you seem to always go n about it being a crime to support "Sky".

Find it interesting that so many folks are buying into the "past is prologue" aspect of things, despite Contador's clear statement that he is aiming to peak for the Tour. I think Saturday will not be about Alberto showing his cards, but biding his time. Should be fun .

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Of course he would be disappointed to lose time to Froome on Ax3. I however would expect it. One thing is that the plan is for Contador to peak in the third week, but I also think a part of it is hoping that Froom will go from 100% to maybe 98% from Ax3 till the 3rd week.

and also remember that between his Dauphine to TDF third week is almost more than one month. If in 3 weeks after dauphine, he said that he's not 100% yet (*75% at dauphine), then "logically", he might calculate *or hope* by 3rd week he's finally getting his full form.

disclaimer: i'm not emphasizing the percent, but rather the time calculation for him to keep progressing

Saturday, I think Froome will do some showboating. He is itching to show that he is in his super mario power :D For contador, let's hope his leg muscle is getting better. I haven't heard to this day he said anything about "my sensation is good." So he might be still nursing his leg and his form.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Forunculo said:
About Andy's form? Yes because he (and his recently fired brother) are fighting for their future in 2014.

I have to say, I've been watching Andy, and he seemed very comfortable now. He might be quietly building his form. I hope contador and andy will animate the race like no one business this weekend, now that his salary would be cut to 3x lower that the current one.:D I kinda miss his whining to almost about everything, the descent, the rain, even his belly anger :D.

TANK91 said:
Yeh their will be no congratulations comming Froome's way that's for sure, it will be Contador is not on form etc. I can promise if Alberto wins I will be in this section straight away giving him credit for the mother of all comebacks but La Flo wont do it to Froome.

Why would I congratulate Froome, I don't like him one bit. I'm not gonna pretend I am fine with him winning.