• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 406 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Wow who would've thought Alberto would lose a lot of time :rolleyes:

Wtf do you mean with the second point.

By beating Kreuziger he remains team leader for now but boy it was close! :rolleyes:

Don't worry I expected him to lose time too; it is just that I predicted the total time lost to Froome correctly ;)

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
robow7 said:
Was it really that long ago that he was beating Cancellara in TT's and now he's losing minutes, and yet he should be in his prime. Hmmm?

I particularly liked when either Phil or Paul said (can't remember which one) that Contador's TT abilities haven't been the same since he has come back from his ban. Not a truer word has been spoken IMO.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
robow7 said:
Was it really that long ago that he was beating Cancellara in TT's and now he's losing minutes, and yet he should be in his prime. Hmmm?

That is one huge misconception about Alberto: He's never done well with ITT. The ones he's aced are the ones that have some gradient in the profile, but the pancake-flat stuff he is average.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
See you all again when SKY gets busted.

I sincerely wish you to grow up, learn to take things you dislike with dignity (what you are not able to do so far) and lots of luck in your life. See you later.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
When?

At Paillheres.

Alejandro was dumb enough to divulge Movistar's plan to isolate and drop Froome to Alberto, who most likely told Riis, and the Dane most likely told Contador to stay put and let Movistar do all the work thinking that Froome was actually going to crack.

Most likely, mind you.

Publicus said:
Just a horrible comparison here. Go back and look at the profile for the Annecy ITT in 2009. There's a lovely Cat 3 climb in the middle.

And yea, it was such hilly profile that Cancellara (the incredible climber that he is) beat all the rest other than AC by a couple of seconds.

All results should be looked at in relation to how others finished.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So Miburo, La Flo, Carol and Jelantik are you happy with today? I thought he was better for sure, it don't say aloto be beat by Mollema but he has defo improved hasn't he.

robow7 said:
And yea, it was such hilly profile that Cancellara (the incredible climber that he is) beat all the rest other than AC by a couple of seconds.

All results should be looked at in relation to how others finished.

Indeed. You should look at when Cancellara started. Differing wind conditions. How hard the GC candidates worked over the preceding stages compared to Cancellara. Lots and lots of things to compare and contrast. All of which adds up to this is a terrible comparison to what Froome just did. Just terrible.

My electric went out just when Berto went down the ramp...no router, no tv!

I've been on pins and needles. Actually Very Pleased he only lost 2 mins! It could have been much worse. There is still Hope he will find some form!!!

How did he look on the bike?

Carols said:
My electric went out just when Berto went down the ramp...no router, no tv!

I've been on pins and needles. Actually Very Pleased he only lost 2 mins! It could have been much worse. There is still Hope he will find some form!!!

How did he look on the bike?

He looked a heckuva lot better than at the Dauphine. He was getting blown around quite a bit by the cross-head/tail wind on the last two-third. He seems confident despite coughing up another 2' to the Alien.

Publicus said:
He looked a heckuva lot better than at the Dauphine. He was getting blown around quite a bit by the cross-head/tail wind on the last two-third. He seems confident despite coughing up another 2' to the Alien.

Good news if he looked comfortable. There is replay on tv shortly so I will be able to see for myself. It is all about his fluidity, if it is evident there is hope :) Not for this race in particular but for his future!

Today was the final test and 2 mins isn't really that bad. Maybe the light is just on low beam right now and will gain strength. Fingers Crossed!!!!

I will Never be so happy to be wrong in my life :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yes because Valverde is a loser. Champions don't ride for second place because everyone will forget about anything but the winner in 5 years time.

You're wrong, second place is as important as first place in this tour.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just read this last page. I think Contador was much better than in the first week. His position on the bike was terrible, but he was always like that. Almost 4 minutes? Maybe a bit much, but what's then? I have no doubt, that he will try something on Ventoux. I don't know that it will be an(or many) attack(s) or just Saxo will ride on the front a hard pace, but he will try something. And there are the other moutain stages (the quality of the stages is another question). Last year I was already like he lost the Vuelta, then Fuente De happened. Yes, Froome is strong, but the hell cares? He is nothing compared to Alberto.

And I'm sure if Contador will not be able to win the Tour, he will be at least 2nd. But I still think that he can and he will do it.

TRENDING THREADS