• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 451 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IndianCyclist said:
Taking too much risks means now he will finish 4th. bad tactics by Saxo:eek:

What risks did he take? The attack on the downhill didn't look too risky and couldn't have cost them much energy. Though having to fight back to the front of the group after the bike change couldn't have helped.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Just because he isn't dominating the Tour doesn't mean he has no future in GT's. He is still the 2nd best stage racer in the world. If he skips the Tour next year and does a Giro/Vuelta double, I can see him winning one, possibly both. Assuming he loses a little weight, of course.

Alphabet said:
Just because he isn't dominating the Tour doesn't mean he has no future in GT's. He is still the 2nd best stage racer in the world. If he skips the Tour next year and does a Giro/Vuelta double, I can see him winning one, possibly both. Assuming he loses a little weight, of course.

I think he's still a GT great. But I wouldn't be so sure he's the second best stage racer in the world. Based on this years tour Quintana would clearly appear to be above him, and I think at this point so is Nibali. I would place him 4th with Rodriguez and Valverde close behind (based on the respective performances in last years Vuelta and the current Tour).

That being said, that is still definitely good enough to win one or more GT's in the future. Add to that the fact that I don't think he's at his best yet and he'll still have a part to play the coming year, there's just a chance his time fighting for the tour win is over.

Ramira said:
I think he's still a GT great. But I wouldn't be so sure he's the second best stage racer in the world. Based on this years tour Quintana would clearly appear to be above him, and I think at this point so is Nibali. I would place him 4th with Rodriguez and Valverde close behind (based on the respective performances in last years Vuelta and the current Tour).

That being said, that is still definitely good enough to win one or more GT's in the future. Add to that the fact that I don't think he's at his best yet and he'll still have a part to play the coming year, there's just a chance his time fighting for the tour win is over.

Yes his dominant days are over but he is still competitive.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt look super lean

6638095-cycling-tour.jpg

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yes we were discussing that earlier.

Ok missed that.

Btw Riis stated that they have to evaluate things after the Tour cos obviously Contaor isnt where he is supposed to be. About the rest of this Tour he sarcasticly said (maybe with a pun intented): "we cant just inject form into him"

Also Riis said that the attacks yesterday were stupic and that they werent called by him (but the riders themselves).

Maybe all of the above means he will take a little more control about preperation and tactics though he has stated he will do less of that?

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
That might be his problem in a nutshell, rather than it being a decline or something clinic related. He looks like he could lose another few kilo's, which could make up a lot of the difference. If he came into this Tour looking like Froome, then he may only have lost a couple of minutes to him by now rather than 5.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Scirea said:
And he doesn't have a chance against Quintana and Purito.

R.K was stronger on AX-3, and yday he and AC done silly attack so no you cant say RK would not have lived with Purito, RK as done is best GT imo.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Alberto is fighting like real champion. He is trying as hard as he can.

He doesn't have legs but he is using every tactic he knows against stonger opponent(s). Most of the time it doesn't work, sure.
But, that makes race interesting and that makes him great rider.

Plus, I can't help myself thinking that getting second place on podium may get him win after all.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
**** next year. Just another Tour. This is the one that mattered. This is the one Sky were weakish in. You think next year they wont just train it up every climb?

yes it's true. But next year every team will catch up closer to team sky. there's no guarantee that froome will be as strong as this year. And bertie at least learn from this year. We saw that quintana can still rode away from the train.