• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 616 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
First: For obvious reasons, AC is not a champion.
Second: I have to admit that I never would have believed that AC could do a spring like this (even if the gaps between him and his rivals have often been insignificant, and Rodriguez and uninjured Froome were stronger or equal to him in the mountains).
Third: Barring Froome crashes again, I stand my ground: AC will never win the Tour again.
what a a great post:rolleyes:
Avatar bet? (only this year Tour,advatage for ya)

SiAp1984 said:
Second: I have to admit that I never would have believed that AC could do a spring like this (even if the gaps between him and his rivals have often been insignificant, and Rodriguez and uninjured Froome were stronger or equal to him in the mountains).
Third: Barring Froome crashes again, I stand my ground: AC will never win the Tour again.

First: by your logic then, for obvious reasons no one is a champion.
Second: If you never could have believed that AC would have a spring season like he has had, then what makes you so sure he won't have a tour like 2009? You are admitting that you can't even predict what AC will be able to do.
Third: As Ilovecycling has said - Really? Want to bet on it?

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The racing on stage 8 was great. Would like every stage to be raced like that.

My regret is that Contador did not figure it out that he needed to chase down Talansky and the others sooner. As it happened though, might work out in his favor - he will not be similarly fooled again. Better to misread a clue to attack in the Dauphine than in the TdF.

Contador will be ready for anything. ;)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
murali said:
I just dont understand who were the "experts" who wrote off AC after last year's TdF.
AC is a Champion. ... QUOTE]

Trolling much?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
murali said:
I just dont understand who were the "experts" who wrote off AC after last year's TdF.
AC is a Champion. ... QUOTE]

Trolling much? :rolleyes:

Omg

LaFlorecita said:
Kreuziger, Roche and Rogers definitely, though I'd prefer them to leave Roche at home. CAS definitely not. Apparently Contador asked for Majka on the Tour team but Majka has not decided yet.

1. Roche rode very well for Contador last Tour except his climbing form wasn't there ....IT usually takes him ages ot get to form and is in his 2nd GT he is at his best...But there was no denying he was committed to Contador...In the stage in Aux 3 Dom he blew chasing leaders across the valley (which he caught) . He rode his heart out on stage 13 .. He chased on Mountains stages to be up there ...totally ridiculous to suggest he should be left at home

2. The reason TCS hasn't better domestiques is money....Bjarne didn't have it till too late last year and most riders gone by then Also Contador has highest salary in peloton so hard ot afford anyone prior to that...So mayeb if Contador not paid so much last year could have afforded more domestiques last year

3.Riders like Kreuziger need to be given a chance to ride for himself and is doing so in TdeSuisse so team at Dauphine couldn't be helped but punters vile about them on social media...wihtout knowing what happened at beginning of the stage

4. People here are also writing Froome off too soon....Its a long Tour and you do it at your peril....he is a tremendous rider and will not give it up easily and can TT better than Contador

5. Valverde will also be a major threat as will Garmin

6. Majka wanting to ride the Vuelata and not the Tour is him NOT thinking about himself as you accuse Roche of.....rubbish

7. Last year after the Tour I seem to remember people writing Contador off and saying he is too old , past it etc.. Same people now think he is invincible...Cycling should teach the 'experts' on here that nothing is certain or constant

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Contador looks better than I've seen him in since, maybe -11?
He looks ready for the Tour, but the team will be vital.

Paulinho and Jesus are on the Tour team, despite the abysmal Dauphine final day. Roman K., Roche and Rogers too.

Tosatto/Bennati for the cobbled stage?

Majka is not riding the Tour

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
pigoonse said:
The racing on stage 8 was great. Would like every stage to be raced like that.

My regret is that Contador did not figure it out that he needed to chase down Talansky and the others sooner. As it happened though, might work out in his favor - he will not be similarly fooled again. Better to misread a clue to attack in the Dauphine than in the TdF.

Contador will be ready for anything. ;)

He wasn't targeting for the win, just to clobber Froome, so the goal was achieved. Of course, I'm sure the win would've been nice icing on the cake so a lesson learned to ensure not to get tunnel vision over just one rider. Now that Froome has been eliminated as a potential champion, Contador needs to size up his real opponents and not underestimate them. Fortunately there is no Quintana or Wiggins to spoil the party.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
inthepink said:
1. Roche rode very well for Contador last Tour except his climbing form wasn't there ....IT usually takes him ages ot get to form and is in his 2nd GT he is at his best...But there was no denying he was committed to Contador...In the stage in Aux 3 Dom he blew chasing leaders across the valley (which he caught) . He rode his heart out on stage 13 .. He chased on Mountains stages to be up there ...totally ridiculous to suggest he should be left at home
The voice of calm reason. You're no fun at all!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
orangerider said:
He wasn't targeting for the win, just to clobber Froome, so the goal was achieved. Of course, I'm sure the win would've been nice icing on the cake so a lesson learned to ensure not to get tunnel vision over just one rider. Now that Froome has been eliminated as a potential champion, Contador needs to size up his real opponents and not underestimate them. Fortunately there is no Quintana or Wiggins to spoil the party.

Froome eliminated as a contender for the Tour? :confused: Your kidding, right?

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:

Yeah, I had to read that a couple times. I can't see Froome eliminated as a contender for TdF after his crash and consequent loss of the jersey to Contador in the Dauphine stage 7. Unless, there is something more serious about Froome's condition. CF should be physically fine but I don't view him as so invincible as I did at last years' TdF. Contador and Chris Froome will definitely need to be busy sizing up other competitors in the race than just each other, which will make this a more exciting TdF to follow, is what I'm guessing and hoping :p

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont think AC erred in attacking Froome late in stage 8. Nibali's attack was perfect. At that point, Sky was expected to chase it down. the gap to Nibali group was manageable. Even with Fugslang working for Nibali+Kelderman, the gap was falling down consistently.
Hesjedal or someone was really motoring in the lead group. I think we should give some credit to others too. Most guys who were caught by AC were not able to significantly help him. Konig was riding a bit. There was that Canondale guy, BMC guy,... but no one were able to help him much.

I dont think I am going to challenge the usefulness of Roche. He rode well in the crosswinds. But, right now he looks good only on slight hilly stages and not on hard mountains. AC needs 2-3 ppl with him when Sky is burning his bots. iirc, even Rogers was spewed out by the Sky train last year.

I just hope tinkov pays for some decent domestiques for the next season. The only reason i dont really hate him is because he is paying for the team.
btw, isnt AC's salary coming from sponsors? i think i read something like tht somewhere.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

I agree that it might be a rather optimistic stance...

But let's think about it for a moment, last weeks events may turn out to be quite significant regarding Contador's chances..

CF is not known to be the most clever/patient rider, and after last week He might do a similar thing to stage 2 of the Dauphine quite early in the tour and burn a lot of unnecessary energy. Furthermore has proven to tend to fatigue more than gaining strength during long stage races (at least compared to AC) hence He might "eliminate Himself as a contender" before we even know it.

Sky really need to keep Him in a short leash, otherwise He will just do as he historically has -and attack without thinking much about it.. (the flat attack in stage 8 last week as an example of this behaviour)

During last years Tour CF mocked AC about him not attacking uphill but downhill (and said that it was a sign of weekness).

So what does Froome attacking on the flat part means?

The point beeing Froome is not a great poker player and with a Contador who has upped his game, Froome needs much more than Power to beat him..

Everything above just my opinion of course.
I just really believe that experience and awareness will be a major factor come july..

With smart peopple like Bennati and Rogers in his team and Riis in the car + a possibly too eager Froome I see quite a few advantages allready...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I hesitated if its worth an answer,cuz its look like Jofans armada is coming this month,but on the other you did decent post (but with lot of bs),so here is my asnwer.
inthepink said:
But that was his goal.To help AC in the mountains,its nice he helped on the flat,but there were other riders for it,so he was almost useless.
Its not ridiculous at all to suggest he needs to stay home,there are better riders in team for Contador.
2. The reason TCS hasn't better domestiques is money....Bjarne didn't have it till too late last year and most riders gone by then Also Contador has highest salary in peloton so hard ot afford anyone prior to that...So mayeb if Contador not paid so much last year could have afforded more domestiques last year
Contador has long-term contract,so how could they change it:confused:
3.Riders like Kreuziger need to be given a chance to ride for himself and is doing so in TdeSuisse so team at Dauphine couldn't be helped but punters vile about them on social media...wihtout knowing what happened at beginning of the stage
They just made terrible mistake when breakaway was forming,you dont have to know anything else,these are elementary rules of cycling;)
4. People here are also writing Froome off too soon....Its a long Tour and you do it at your peril....he is a tremendous rider and will not give it up easily and can TT better than Contador

6. Majka wanting to ride the Vuelata and not the Tour is him NOT thinking about himself as you accuse Roche of.....rubbish
I agree with you on Froome with one exception,he may give up when he will see Contador is better,he is mentally fragile (almost like Wiggins imo)
Valverde wont be a thread ftw,same for Garmin,they will be lucky if half of they riders will finish the race:D

7. Last year after the Tour I seem to remember people writing Contador off and saying he is too old , past it etc.. Same people now think he is invincible...Cycling should teach the 'experts' on here that nothing is certain or constant
Nobody is claiming he is invincible.Or to claim he will be better than Froome means he is invincible?:eek:

inthepink said:

I have no idea what you're on about. My only point is that while Roche is a great rider when riding for himself, he isn't a great domestique. See last year's Tour and also this year's Giro.

I haven't got a clue what this entire post has got to do with me :confused:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Contador looks better than I've seen him in since, maybe -11?
He looks ready for the Tour, but the team will be vital.

Paulinho and Jesus are on the Tour team, despite the abysmal Dauphine final day. Roman K., Roche and Rogers too.

Tosatto/Bennati for the cobbled stage?

Majka is not riding the Tour
source please:)

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
If Belkin is in trouble, will Riis be able to get Kelderman?

It would be a very sensible move...

AC is not getting any younger but mentoring Kelderman would benefit both..

Then after two years or so, Kelderman would be elevated to captain learning from the best...!!

For Riis money has allways been an issue in terms of developing the team and adding the right riders.. It seems that Tinkov is not holding back (provided he gets something for his money) so why not...

Firstly what has my post to do with LaFlorecita???

Originally Posted by LaFlorecita
Yeah I think so. Though I really hope they don't take Roche (and Paulinho). They're pretty useless as domestiques. Roche because he'd much rather ride for himself, and Paulinho because he's simply not good enough.
I was reply to your quote above ...if you are going to make such statements then accept the reply

As for ILovecycling
Could you be more patronizing...deigning to reply to me .just ..with your superior knowledge and my lack of the basics ..
I hesitated if its worth an answer,cuz its look like Jofans armada is coming this month,but on the other you did decent post (but with lot of bs),so here is my asnwer.

Its not ridiculous at all to suggest he needs to stay home,there are better riders in team for Contador

Again total rubbish ! There are 8 better riders ....no way
And last year he did help in the mountains ....who rode at the front for most of the Queens stage ( stage 19)
He was on the train before Rodgers and Kreusiger ,defined by the earlier results int he Pyrennes....hence he was used up before them from stage 9 onwards. I guess if you don't see it on the TV it doesn't happen......Rather than talk down to someone else maybe you should bone up on cycling basics

And finally do you think Klerderman or Van De Broek or any of the top GCs will go to Tinkoff Saxo to ride as domestique when they can ride as leader somewhere else ....

Kelerderman to OGE

What Tinkoff Saxo need are domestiques ...not leaders ...they have enough of those ...good climbers who are happy not to be leaders

inthepink said:
And finally do you think Klerderman or Van De Broek or any of the top GCs will go to Tinkoff Saxo to ride as domestique when they can ride as leader somewhere else ....

Kelerderman to OGE

What Tinkoff Saxo need are domestiques ...not leaders ...they have enough of those ...good climbers who are happy not to be leaders

I think VdB knows by now that he will never be a top GT GC'er. WTF OMG YOLO... Peace... (ain't I just swag :rolleyes:)

TRENDING THREADS