• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
where the **** is all this hatred for froome coming from.

He goes for wins accross the season not just tdf, has a strong attack and is not afraid to use it (even against team orders), is humble and well spoken about the fans and seems to be well liked by Vino.

The above description does not only describe Froome, it can also perfectly describe Contador. It can perfectly describe Vincenzo Nibali and Phillipe Gilbert too.

Just because wiggins runs his mouth and races defensively yall going to hate on every rider that comes out of great britain for all eternity. Even if that rider has all the qualities you adore in everyone else?

4e8a92b2dd9e11e193de22000a1e8ca9_7.jpg

Froome is okay and so is Wiggins even if they are totally different riders and personalities. I hope Froome makes an impact at the Vuelta and I think he will. People who are saying Froome came from nowhere have not been paying attention plus he had problems with illness that have been well documented. Sky's victory in the Tour may not have been too exciting but you still have to admire the team and the way they dominated the race. Lot's of preparation went into that performance.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Froome is okay and so is Wiggins even if they are totally different riders and personalities. I hope Froome makes an impact at the Vuelta and I think he will. People who are saying Froome came from nowhere have not been paying attention plus he had problems with illness that have been well documented. Sky's victory in the Tour may not have been too exciting but you still have to admire the team and the way they dominated the race. Lot's of preparation went into that performance.

I was a wiggins fan back in the day, but can't say that I am anymore. I'm still a Sky fan though... well, when they don't tt their way to victory, thats just boring. They were great to watch in the giro, poland, etc! I'm thinking the vuelta will be similar. Froome, Uran, & Henao are often better with changing pace.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
No. Unlike Contador fanboys, I just treat that dispassionately.

So sad when fans arent passionated imho. Its just like when ppl are pessimistic cos they are afraid to get disappointed (I tend to do that sometimes too, but tbh I prefer realistic optimism and risk the disappointment. Realitisc is a keyword though, and dont think its unrealistic to think/hope that Bertie will win the Vuelta)

gustienordic said:
Hehehehe! Airstream, good for you for supporting someone most of us dislike!

I don't dislike Andy just think he has mostly wasted his tremendous talent, is Soft and lacks the killer instinct of true champion.

Alberto has the talent, the will and the mental fortitude of a Great Champion; win or lose he will Always Try to Win!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
I don't dislike Andy just think he has mostly wasted his tremendous talent, is Soft and lacks the killer instinct of true champion.

Alberto has the talent, the will and the mental fortitude of a Great Champion; win or lose he will Always Try to Win!

Ye I feel the same way. And I surely did miss Andy in the Tour.

What I dislike about both of them are all the excuses and blaming. I do admire his 2011 attack from afar though.

But I am going offtopic here, its not a Schleck thread. What I do like about Alborto is that he always rides to win, his attacking style, his dedication, his willingness to take race-schedule risks (Giro+tour, eneco-cobbles fx) and his mental strength.

But tbh what I made me like him was his epic crack in Paris Nice. Made him human. Big champs gotta experience some big losses sometimes to get public symphathy. Think he also won alot of synphathy in the 2011 Tour despite the clen case haunting him and the Tour.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Any opinions are welcomed in this thread, no? :) If not, I won't post in order not to impair your enthusiastic idyll.

I can't remember any big risk from Contador. There was no risk in the Telegraph attack. The podium was lost the day before. And surely he couldn't help starting the 2011 Tour consirering sponsor requirements. Lol, his team dragged a forensic process purposefellythat he could start the Tour! :eek: What risk are you talking about? :) I can discern the only risk there - the risk of non-participation in le Tour.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Any opinions are welcomed in this thread, no? :) If not, I won't post in order not to impair your enthusiastic idyll.

I can't remember any big risk from Contador. There was no risk in the Telegraph attack. The podium was lost the day before. And surely he couldn't help starting the 2011 Tour consirering sponsor requirements. Lol, his team dragged a forensic process purposefellythat he could start the Tour! :eek: What risk are you talking about? :) I can discern the only risk there - the risk of non-participation in le Tour.

Are you so bored? I mean your life seems to be sad for me. I know, you have lost little Andy, we know the story of Frankie boy, but please, we just want to be happy because the best rider in the peloton is back, and he has shown a good form in a race, where normally a rider like he end outside the top100.

vcampbell said:
Are you so bored? I mean your life seems to be sad for me. I know, you have lost little Andy, we know the story of Frankie boy, but please, we just want to be happy because the best rider in the peloton is back, and he has shown a good form in a race, where normally a rider like he end outside the top100.

I wouldnt call that freak a "Shleck-fan" despite that cute avatar. I mean, the only thing he talk about is Contador.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

Pretty much sums up why I don't like Andy and why I like Contador so much.

Besides Cancellara and gilbert last year I can't name any guy who always ride to win like Contador and ALWAYS attacks whatever it is it doesn't matter.

No talking just attack and we'll see what happens.

Well maybe other guys have that mentality aswell but they don't have enough talent.

Giro 08, the eneco tour and the his first race in 2012 in Argentina are the best examples of that.

Thinking about it Canc and Contador are more similar to each other than on first sight you would think.

The 2 best riders in the last 5 years without any doubt. And I don't think many dislike them well maybe Contador although I think that changed this year.

Seriously how can you hate these guys? Without them for example rvv '11 and tour '11 wouldn't have been so exciting.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Any opinions are welcomed in this thread, no? :)
If not, I won't post in order not to impair your enthusiastic idyll..

Well, u are certainly entitled to your opinion, but dont expect a bunch of ppl padding u on the shoulder agreeing with u. Ppl will disagree with u, and u should be ready for that. If u dont like that then u can choose not to post. Noone is forcing u. I do hope u continue posting, cos its not fun when everyone agrees

airstream said:
I can't remember any big risk from Contador.

Let me refresh your memory then. But I would like to add showing balls/courage/heart on top of taking risks:

-Stating that he wants to win all 3 GTs in the same year, and starting out trying the Giro-Tour. He failed hard, but he failed trying.
-In general focusing on more than only the Tour, and always trying to win and animate a race, even when not in form.
-Finishing the Tour 2011 and kept attacking despite multible crashes, knee injury, fatigue and a hostile crowd (Something I cant imagine the Schlecks doing)
-Attacking on a wet and twisty descend (that other riders were complaining about being way too dangerous)
-Doing a cobbled race like ENECO, especially considering it was his 1st race after 6 months absense, and actually attacking on the cobbles

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
You would be wrong.

Probably, cos I tend not to spend too much time in there, but I do remember a thread named Tiernan-Locke in the spring and sky+wiggo was discussed alot in july...
The Hitch said:
Of the 170 or so weeks that the clinic has been in existence, i would estimate that Armstrong has been the main topic for about 150 of them, and he hasnt won a race since 2005.

Haha true, but he did win so much that they got alot of catching up to do :D But one can understand why he is a hot topic nowadays. Anyways, we are going offtopic here.