Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ElChingon said:
Man, I'd like it if one day a rider would take on the Dave Chappelle attitude to the pre-race conference and just start going off on the other riders, "in you face so an so, you're going down!", "you can't climb @#$&#37]

The peloton can be an unforgiving place if you are all alone not having teams like USP or Sky around you. AC is one of those guys who probably could have spoken like this and still pull off the things he does. But that would look rather silly coming from him since he is more of the devil on the bike instead. But we had guys like these before: Gilbert, Ricco, Berzin, Hinault, Riis...

Miburo said:
Oh no really?

Everyone knows Contador does this so the comment had to be sarcastic.
Just for the record: i was sarcastic. I know you know but so, i have said it. ] Wooo that means he will be awesome
Slightly worried that he actually says his form is "good". To feel perfectly safe, i would have preferred his "unsure-of-form" comment pre Giro 2011 press conference. Perhaps the modern eras biggest smokescreen in cycling. But i guess it outweights of his "crappy first week" prediction.
 
Apr 18, 2010
156
0
0
may be or wiggins is paris...
no i do not think wiggings has the charisma or charm of paris.
one thing is for sure after a long (unvoluntary) slumber from the battle filed that the european races are everybody still fears him just like achilles was feared. also his undisputed talent make him the meassuring stick for othe stage racers and since he is the best at it anybody that beats him could become king.
 
Apr 18, 2010
156
0
0
The Hitch said:
My question to you is did you take your username from the retired footballer or the Brazilian rock sensation?

As for Froome, unfortunately looks like he is hector. A bit too tall to be david.
fortunately or unfortunately my mom was kind of a fan of the first as in the mid 70's and early 80's roberto carlos was a big thing in mexico. the soccer player became famous when i was in my early teens. 'till this day all of my relatives and mexican friends in los angeles still tease me about my name.
 
Apr 18, 2010
156
0
0
The Hitch said:
What, she actually named you Roberto Carlos?

Its a cool name to have no doubt. Anything Brazilian is cool.
yes those are my name first and middle name. i did not now the fame of roberto carlos reached the anglophone world, but that how the far the fame of great performers travels just like contador (although in a smaller scale in my neck of the world)
and getting back on the topic i only wish great for froome, and that he might become the great rival that alberto deserves. i hope that whoever comes on top during this vuelta can challenge the other next season in more than one race a year. i am rooting for contador as he is hispanic, about my height and built adn similar persona, but i do have to add that if anybody has the tools to properly deal with alberto is froome in riding styles i think they are analogue riders.
 
robertocarlos said:
yes those are my name first and middle name. i did not now the fame of roberto carlos reached the anglophone world, but that how the far the fame of great performers travels just like contador (although in a smaller scale in my neck of the world)
and getting back on the topic i only wish great for froome, and that he might become the great rival that alberto deserves. i hope that whoever comes on top during this vuelta can challenge the other next season in more than one race a year. i am rooting for contador as he is hispanic, about my height and built adn similar persona, but i do have to add that if anybody has the tools to properly deal with alberto is froome in riding styles i think they are analogue riders.
Nah, roberto carlos has no fame here, i just like brazilian culture
 
jamiephillips said:
Was this intentional? If so he really is worried about Froome! :)
Lol last year in the Giro people said that Alberto wasn't in form when he went for the bonus seconds on stage 8. We all know what happened on stage 9 ;)

Alberto said he was on the front with Sørensen anyway so he decided to go for it because "grand tours can be won by seconds" and if he "comes into a good position again tomorrow he'll go for the bonus seconds again".
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
LaFlorecita said:
Lol last year in the Giro people said that Alberto wasn't in form when he went for the bonus seconds on stage 8. We all know what happened on stage 9 ;)

Alberto said he was on the front with Sørensen anyway so he decided to go for it because "grand tours can be won by seconds" and if he "comes into a good position again tomorrow he'll go for the bonus seconds again".
if I remember correctly, he did something similar in vuelta '08 but not sure though.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
Btw Bertie is a bit concerned about stage 3 and says he would have preferred the first stage that finish on a climb to come later in the race so he could have got more racing miles.
 
Apr 26, 2010
358
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Lol last year in the Giro people said that Alberto wasn't in form when he went for the bonus seconds on stage 8. We all know what happened on stage 9 ;)
if this was a similar situation to the Giro one then i just hope he doesn't basically seal the overall after the first week. it would be way too cruel to Froomie...:D
 
Jul 10, 2009
918
0
0
jamiephillips said:
^ True he's probably just raring to go!!
Yes, i think he is itching to go. I think it will take a fresh Froome to stage any kind of battle with Alberto at this Vuelta. It reminds me of Giro and he wasn't sure about his form there. I think what alberto needs for form is motivation and hunger. he has both present at this Vuelta.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,399
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto said he was on the front with Sørensen anyway so he decided to go for it because "grand tours can be won by seconds" and if he "comes into a good position again tomorrow he'll go for the bonus seconds again".
Ahh, the good old standard cliches. :)
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
jamiephillips said:
Was this intentional? If so he really is worried about Froome! :)
Free time why not take it?
you take time whenever you can, that is racing instinct. Only IDIOTS think I can drop everybody mins in mountains so I don't need time on flat!! You never know what is going to happen tomorrow.
 
Jul 22, 2009
68
0
0
I think the telling quote is this one:

'As for the two upcoming summit finishes, Contador said they were "very different. Arrate [on stage 3] is short and punchy, whereas Valdezcaray is much longer and gentler. It'll be difficult to attack on Valdezcaray, though, if it's windy - it's very exposed at the top.'

It will be difficult to attack on Valdezcaray. On Arrata? Not so much! ^^
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY