• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 722 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Let's take our hope low. So far it means nothing. He might just put his leg on the pedal on stationary bike. Nothing more. Let's wait until we see he said "back in training". Now.. then.. we can have our hopes up again..:D

The only reason why it gives me hope is because of the tweet that someone saw him ride in lugano on the roads. And the same day Contador says he made contact with the bick.

That can't be coincidence and the person that made the tweet seems pretty reliable.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Yeah ok. But it's huge unlikey, nearly impossible. And if he's able to do so, then it's the question if it's good for him to do anyway. Making your comeback in a Tour of Beijing, and focus trully on 2015 looks better to me.

If he doesn't feel the pain anymore, he should definitely give it a go.

It would be cruel if he had to end his season right here, he was so great this year, he certainly doesn't want to let this season go to waste without winning something big.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
This guy on twitter says he saw Contador already on the bike monday?

That's crazy, i don't know if i can believe that.

Edit: this guy has pictures of Contador training in june, he seems to be reliable. I don't know, we'll know in a few weeks i guess.

Contador has just twitted he is starting again on the bikem becouse he can bend his knee.

I think he will be ready for the Vuelta. It is similar than when he won the Giro.

He even rode more days on the Tour than Froome, so he has his work done, and has been just three weeks of total rest. In a week he will be training properly, so, it is time enough to be in his best shape at the end of the Vuelta.

We must remember he talked about he was close to leave in the first week a Giro that later won.

I hope to see him on the Vuelta, he will talk it is a big challenge for him, that it is difficult to figh for GC with that preparation, but he will be ready in fact.

Taxus4a said:
Contador has just twitted he is starting again on the bikem becouse he can bend his knee.

I think he will be ready for the Vuelta. It is similar than when he won the Giro.

He even rode more days on the Tour than Froome, so he has his work done, and has been just three weeks of total rest. In a week he will be training properly, so, it is time enough to be in his best shape at the end of the Vuelta.

We must remember he talked about he was close to leave in the first week a Giro that later won.

I hope to see him on the Vuelta, he will talk it is a big challenge for him, that it is difficult to figh for GC with that preparation, but he will be ready in fact.
If he manages to show up in good form, I will cheer for him all the way that's for sure :)
The AC/Aru/Quintana combos will brake even the mighty Horner. Not to mention that Froome guy :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
Being able to bend the knee doesn't necessarily mean that he will be training properly in a week.

For me when i had my surgery it simply meant that walking up or down stairs or simply sitting down was no longer such a PITA.

You're right, the only reason why i think he might be already training is cause of the things this guy on twitter was saying. Only time will tell if he was telling the truth.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Taxus4a said:

The thing is that Alberto doesn't have that protecting - auspicious lucky star that he had pre-ban (for example during Giro 2008). Since the Tour 2010, he is caught in a freaking negative spiral who prevents him from winning the Tour again, and makes things everytime very complicated for him.

See in 2011 he got caught 3 times in bad luck crashes during the Tour (twice in massive peloton crash, once pushed by katusha rider Karpets) , in 2012 he had to stumble upon a Rodriguez who was in the shape of his life during the Vuelta, then Off season last year because of a messed up winter.. like the guy will never have a GT handed to him like Wiggins in 2012 or Nibali this year .
He's got to be in great form or he is not gonna win otherwise. It's not like all of his main opponents will crash out. This will never happen to a rider like Alberto.

BlurryVII said:
The thing is that Alberto doesn't have that protecting - auspicious lucky star that he had pre-ban (for example during Giro 2008). Since the Tour 2010, he is caught in a freaking negative spiral who prevents him from winning the Tour again, and makes things everytime very complicated for him.

See in 2011 he got caught 3 times in bad luck crashes during the Tour (twice in massive peloton crash, once pushed by katusha rider Karpets) , in 2012 he had to stumble upon a Rodriguez who was in the shape of his life during the Vuelta, then Off season last year because of a messed up winter.. like the guy will never have a GT handed to him like Wiggins in 2012 or Nibali this year .
He's got to be in great form or he is not gonna win otherwise. It's not like all of his main opponents will crash out. This will never happen to a rider like Alberto.

WHAT?!

Are you fu*king serious?

In 2005 Armstrong retired, in 2006-2007 Landis, Basso, Vinokourov and Ullrich disappeared from the scene.

That's all the top GC-riders at the time.

Then in the 2007 Tour, Rasmussen was removed from the Tour and the victory was literally given to Contador.

If anything, Contador had it easy when he started winning GT's. All the main GT riders had either retired or be caught doping. Or as in Levi's case, have to ride in support for Contador. Let Levi ride for himself in the 2008 Vuelta or the 2007 Tour and I am pretty sure Contador would have won neither (all else equal).

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:
WHAT?!

Are you fu*king serious?

In 2005 Armstrong retired, in 2006-2007 Landis, Basso, Vinokourov and Ullrich disappeared from the scene.

Then in the 2007 Tour, Rasmussen was removed from the Tour and the victory was literally given to Contador.

If anything, Contador had it easy when he started winning GT's. All the main GT riders had either retired or be caught doping. Or as in Levi's case, have to ride in support for Contador. Let Levi ride for himself in the 2008 Vuelta of the 2007 Tour and I am pretty sure Contador would have won neither (all else equal).

I was going to post the same thing, but I think the post you quoted was referring to 2010 onward. I'm not 100% sure though.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Walkman said:
WHAT?!

Are you fu*king serious?

If anything, Contador had it easy when he started winning GT's. All the main GT riders had either retired or be caught doping. Or as in Levi's case, have to ride in support for Contador. Let Levi ride for himself in the 2008 Vuelta or the 2007 Tour and I am pretty sure Contador would have won neither (all else equal).

So first of all, my post was all about the period post Tour 2010 so you don't make any sense.

In 2007 Leipheimer never worked for Contador, apart from Aubisque, he was supposed to be the leader at the start in London but Contador just proved he was better throughout the race.

Same at the Vuelta 2008, Leipheimer only worked for him on the Angliru, and Alberto was much stronger that day anyway .

Basso Vino Ullrich didn't have the level to compete anymore, it's not Alberto 's fault. And he has proved to be a better climber.

roundabout said:
Being able to bend the knee doesn't necessarily mean that he will be training properly in a week.

For me when i had my surgery it simply meant that walking up or down stairs or simply sitting down was no longer such a PITA.

Of course, but he is on a bike doing something...they have the best profesionals around. alberto use to put thing very dark, to put excuses and thing like that, so I think he is not so bad. contador has done his work this year. Maybe this way is better to fight for the Vuelta than to fight for the Tour in top form, and later la Vuelta.

Officially, he is not going to ride, but I think he could be ready, and I think that if Riis or Tinkoff put pressure on it, he will ride. He dont need to be in top form at the begining, and he is the kind of rider that get the shape quickly.

sacrifice&hardwork said:
Neutral kit??? It's hard to believe (almost impossible) Alberto would be out training in one of his kits. Alberto has previously stated that he always trains in his team kit and nothing else. He says that he owes it to the sponsors for supporting him and the team. And it's also really hard for me to believe he would be out training already. Of course he knows what's best for him right now but hopefully he's still resting on his sofa right now.

On the other hand, who looks like Alberto Contador (wouldnt be possible to mistake him for a happy amateur) and riding around Lugano in a Tinkoff-shirt with bandaged knee? Dude also said specifically his neutral kit which is inspired from his website.

I am starting to believe he is out there working it :cool:

Afrank said:
Unless he's right now able to and is doing the 3 hour or more rides with efforts and all that stuff that training involves, then 22 days may not be enough for him to get into a form that would let him compete for the win.

The hope that he didn't lose too much of his conditioning in his time off the bike and can get back to form relatively fast would give him the best chance of being able to compete for the overall in the Vuelta.

He was in top form three weeks ago.. this is not winter, you dont lose the form in three weeks, to take a rest and later to work two weeks, with one week working a little is not a bad preparation for a grand Tour.

Do you think Valverde has train a lot this week?? Maybe he got his bike seriously one day, and another day in relax way.. no more...and he won today.

He talked about one month out of the bike is too much, but three weeks is very different, and maybe before, and that man on twitter dont lie.

The Hitch said:
What advantage would it give him? His opponents will prepare the same whether they think he is coming or not.
I dont know if there is and advantage or not, but he is always that way...even when he won in his glorious years of 2009, 2010,.. with an insultant difference, the day before he was always understimating his chances or talking about some problems...

Maybe is a question of: guauuu, Contador was ill and he is able to win, how big he is... or maybe is a question of his rivals to take him less into account, or to have a good excuse to quite if he has some small problem on the Vuelta, I dont Know, but he use to do that.

Taxus4a said:
I dont know if there is and advantage or not, but he is always that way...even when he won in his glorious years of 2009, 2010,.. with an insultant difference, the day before he was always understimating his chances or talking about some problems...

Maybe is a question of: guauuu, Contador was ill and he is able to win, how big he is... or maybe is a question of his rivals to take him less into account, or to have a good excuse to quite if he has some small problem on the Vuelta, I dont Know, but he use to do that.

Well, before last Tour when he was ****tyesque he said he pulled recordtimes in training if I am not mistaken. Downplaying your own chanses for less pressure is not that uncommon overall.

Hakkapelit said:
Well, before last Tour when he was ****tyesque he said he pulled recordtimes in training if I am not mistaken. Downplaying your own chanses for less pressure is not that uncommon overall.

He use to say those things when he is not so strong or when he nees the expectation with him, becouse he is not the big favourite. Anyway, I think Contador has improved in this kind of things

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:

The important thing is - this is no 2008 anymore.These are freakin Froome n Quintana.Back then there were only attack-inept Leipheimer and clinic Ricco who couldnt tt.
The thing is win his eight gt,not to be in Top5, he is no vdb2 and we know that.

Miburo said:
I don't know, ask him, he always does it. Give me one interview where he says he's the big favorite to win a race.

If i should guess, that way the public won't expect anything from him and there's still an element of surprise if he performs.

I think there's a difference between being humble when you are on form and saying others are favourites, and straight up playing deception by misrepresenting an injury.

He underplays his chances because he's not the kind of guy who will stare the camera in the eye and say something like "im the best cyclist in the game. When you try me with a sorry rider like Froome, that's the result you gonna get. Don't you ever talk about me"

He prefers to say- yeah whatshisface is good too. But I thibk it's because he's humble, not because he thinks the other riders will go - oh contador says he's not sure who will win, we can relax in that case.

There's nothing humble about overplaying an injury though.