• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 735 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
The prosecution calls as its first witness: Plateau De Beile.

1998 Marco Pantani : 43.30 (finishing a little lower down the mountain)
2002 Lance Armstrong : 45.43
2004 Lance Armstromg: 45.30
2007 Alberto Contador: 44.08

The Prosecution calls as its second witness, 2009 Verbier.

Top-climbs-list.png

The prosecution rests its case.

Two climbs, that's…a little light for the best climber of all time, I think.

Also, there Verbier VAM's are totally skewed. Everyone posted insane numbers on that climb. Didn't Armstrong put up better numbers on Verbier than he did Sestriere?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:

Also, there Verbier VAM's are totally skewed. Everyone posted insane numbers on that climb. Didn't Armstrong put up better numbers on Verbier than he did Sestriere?
and whats your point? he still has by far the best VAM

Walkman said:

2 climbs where he went faster (or at least as fast as) Pantani used to, and faster than Armstrong ever did, not enough? Who else in the history of cycling has even 1 climb where they went anywhere near as fast:eek:

BTW I said "arguably" the best climber.

I think Pantani was better, with Contador 2nd and Heras 3rd.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
2 climbs where he went faster (or at least as fast as) Pantani used to, and faster than Armstrong ever did, not enough? Who else in the history of cycling has even 1 climb where they went anywhere near as fast:eek:

I thought Grossglockner climb was quite impressive as well, AC and Rujano went at 440 watts average (Giro 2011), they won by 1 min 30.

AC & Rassumussen have the record time on Peyresourde, Etna couldn't be calculated because of the strong wind but was outstanding as well. He also showed he is great on extreme gradient (Angliru 2008) as well as low gradient (etna & andorre arcalis). It's pretty safe to say that he is one of the best climber ever, I'd place him second to Pantani overall.

ILovecycling said:

The Hitch said:

I can't respond. I was warned and I don't want to be suspended for the upcoming Vuelta.

All I can say is that I do not believe Contador to be the best climber. And also, a graph? I have seen it before but give me some real data and calculations before I even begin to believe those number are real.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
That graph doesn't show all efforts. Basso also did around 1800 VAM (Giro '06). And like someone mentioned...averaging 440 W on a 30+ min climb like Grossglockner was impressive from Alberto. But Verbier is only 7.8 km long - half the lenght of a normal mountain. It was one of his best efforts, maybe his best - but VAM or W should not be calculated on climbs with less than 30 min effort.

Personally I like the calculation of Watt but not so much the VAM. Too many variables and it's too hard to do a great VAM on steeper climbs.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I hope you guys didn't forget the 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 (dauphiné) pattern of Alberto this season, next race is Vuelta, get yourself ready for the most exciting win of the decade :eek: :D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
sir fly said:
Contador has been beaten too many times during this decade to be considered as one of the all time greats.
And that's about a half of his career.

Wonder what you talking about, he is one of the best stage racer all time, since 2007 he's got beaten only at the Tour 2011 (One of the hardest giro route ever beforehand, and 3 crashes at the tour), Tour 2013 (Off season which every great champion has in his career) and that's about it in GTs.

Apart from Armstrong, who is the last rider to win at least a GT per season over 6 years?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:
I can't respond. I was warned and I don't want to be suspended for the upcoming Vuelta.

All I can say is that I do not believe Contador to be the best climber.
And also, a graph? I have seen it before but give me some real data and calculations before I even begin to believe those number are real.
Why? Give reasons,otherwise its only trash talk.
and if you mean clinic stuff,well then **** you

Walkman said:

Why? It is a different discussion. You spoke about how great it was that Alberto got booed 2011 while at the same time cheering on native dopers.

All I can say is that I do not believe Contador to be the best climber. And also, a graph? I have seen it before but give me some real data and calculations before I even begin to believe those number are real.

You asked for evidence and (while not giving the whole picture) the presented arguments are very valid in regarding the climbing greats. I'm sorry to drop the bomb but the history of cycling does not circle around your bias.

(No, i dont either think he is the best of all time. But defintively up there)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:

Then be a man and go to the clinic or shut up.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:
Uhm…isn't it obvious?

This is freaking cycling. You don't know sh*t about who is legit and who isn't. So saying Contador is the greatest ever is just plan stupid.
In this part of forum doestn exist anything like this.Pantani,Rasmussen,Landis,Riis - their climbing is what counts here,nothing else.

so its not stupid at all,you are just making fool of yourself here.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Walkman said:
Uhm…isn't it obvious?

This is freaking cycling. You don't know sh*t about who is legit and who isn't. So saying Contador is the greatest ever is just plan stupid.

Hmm, then you shouldn't judge Contador? We don't know, better leave it there.
It's just like saying Merckx is the best ever when the guy tested positive 3 times in his career :eek:
What about Indurain, best of the best during the boom of a certain doping product :rolleyes:
What about Pantani? You should just stop the Contador bashing right now

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Settle down everyone and drop the insults.

If you want to discuss who the best is through a clinic perspective, you have the clinic. If you want to discuss it through a racing perspective, you have PRR here.

BlurryVII said:
Hmm, then you shouldn't judge Contador? We don't know, better leave it there.
It's just like saying Merckx is the best ever when the guy tested positive 3 times in his career :eek:
What about Indurain, best of the best during the boom of a certain doping product :rolleyes:
What about Pantani? You should just stop the Contador bashing right now

I don't really get your point. I dislike all those riders. My point was that in a sport like cycling, it's crazy to talk about "the best ever".

BlurryVII said:
Wonder what you talking about, he is one of the best stage racer all time, since 2007 he's got beaten only at the Tour 2011 (One of the hardest giro route ever beforehand, and 3 crashes at the tour), Tour 2013 (Off season which every great champion has in his career) and that's about it in GTs.

Apart from Armstrong, who is the last rider to win at least a GT per season over 6 years?
Keep wondering.
In this decade he started 5 GTs and won 2 (officially 1).
The 2012 Vuelta he's won because of his tactical sense, and not because of his dominant climbing ability, which is the topic of current discussion.
His 2011 Giro victory* hasn't been achieved against the best riders at the moment.
So, during this decade he hasn't shown he can beat the best of the best.
We could talk about his 2010 season as well, but I'm sure you'll exclude from the calculation everything you dislike.

ILovecycling said:

VAM is just one cherry picked stats that are influenced by a lot of factors such as wind, gradient, length of the climb, length of the stage, how many mountains were climbed before the final climb, average speed during the stage and how far in into the tour the stage in question is.

Hence I don't accept this one VAM diagram, without calculations, to back up the claim that Contador is best ever.