• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 734 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I said you can't use it while he is losing, and for pretty obvious reasons.

I don't agree with that.

He lost the tour 2011 but he gained a lot of respect there. The way you lose is the showing of a great champion.

Netserk said:
You support Evans and the Schlecks, right?

Fränk? No way. Should be out of cycling.

Andy? Wasn't a fan back in his hey-days and now I mostly cheer for him because of his injuries. I suffered some injuries during my career and I know how hard it can be. Would be fun to see hime back at a decent level.

Cadel? Yeah, sure I support him.

Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think so. You show me some credible evidence of Cadel doping and I would have no problem dropping him like a stone.

I used to think I could tell who was clean and who wasn't but I have come to change my mind over the years, unless the case is a slam dunk i.e. Armstong.

So now I only support non sanctioned riders.

wattage said:
I was never a big fan of Alberto. Until 2011 Tour. Still remember the crowd booing when he came to the team presentation. It was ugly.

The greatest efforts from champions are the losing efforts. Alberto driving that break all day long on stage 19, and then dying a thousand deaths on the Alpe. It was amazing.

None of that waiting for the last 2km on a MTF to gain 15 seconds on your rivals bs we've seen, well almost every rider on the peloton these days. And pacing your efforts by your power meter like a robot.

To me he seems almost like relic from what the sport used to be, when men were men and not some friggin babies crying that you cannot attack on a downhill. Geez..

VAMOS ALBERTO!!!

Yes he is special :)

Walkman said:
Show me the "hypocrisy" in my posts please.

Just calling it like it is.

1. You know perfectly this is the wrong subforum to make that kind of post, you're doing it just to bait
2. At the time, Contador was not a convicted doper, he was cleared by the Spanish anti doping association, or whatever that is called
3. You defend your statments in the Nibbles vs Cuddles thread with the most ridiculous and circumstantial assumptions and you basically don't listen to any sound argument other people have.

Red Rick said:
1. You know perfectly this is the wrong subforum to make that kind of post, you're doing it just to bait

Not relevant.

Red Rick said:
2. At the time, Contador was not a convicted doper, he was cleared by the Spanish anti doping association, or whatever that is called

Actually he was. He was convicted and then exonerated. Then again, the spanish anti-doping agency isn't receiving much praise for their work either.

Red Rick said:
3. You defend your statments in the Nibbles vs Cuddles thread with the most ridiculous and circumstantial assumptions and you basically don't listen to any sound argument other people have.

Also not relevant. You may argue that my logic is flawed but that does not make me a hypocrite.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:
Ok, he was sanctioned for having a banned substance in his body. You maybe think that this makes all the difference, but I don't. That is like, the definition of doping.

Nope it isn't, don't try and make up defintions. Doping and banned substance aren't the same thing at all.

Your argument is thus completely invalid

Walkman said:
Just out of curiosity, wanna state your case?

The prosecution calls as its first witness: Plateau De Beile.

1998 Marco Pantani : 43.30 (finishing a little lower down the mountain)
2002 Lance Armstrong : 45.43
2004 Lance Armstromg: 45.30
2007 Alberto Contador: 44.08

The Prosecution calls as its second witness, 2009 Verbier.

Top-climbs-list.png

The prosecution rests its case.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It makes no sense. Even when he's losing, he's still The Great One because of what happened in the past.

And you told me even this spring that I could not use the name anymore until he showed something Great again.
yeah,he was talking serious bs back then.:eek: but it happens to all of us probably

welcome back fleur:)

Jelantik said:
I don't know.. maybe the answer is so simple. We are the one that over analyze everything too much (as usual) :D. I guess we are the victims of our own fantasy and our own mind games.. Maybe what he did, was just stating what his actual feeling... nothing more, nothing less.. :D

I might be overanalyzing but saying your dude is barely on a stationary bike cause of all the pain when he is in fact climbing cols are not simply down to a bad day on the office. With that said, he might be in a far better shape then this video hints. Although i wouldnt bet my money on it.

Jilbiker said:
If AC came to Vuelta on crutches or a wheelchair his rivals still will not let him join the breakaway

That brought a smile but you are of course right.