• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 742 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clever boy Nairo. Knowing that there are that vast breed of riders who almost always seem to have the form (or hitting the form in the right time). 1998 Jan Ullrich after netting 10 kilos overweight at Mallorca still found the right form and it took a epic ride from the great Pantani to bring the kaiser down.

Its fun that AC plays these mindgames but he is too different rider for that to work.

BlurryVII said:
Anybody who watched the race could see that he went flat out both on Hautacam and PDBF.
Didn't he say " I climbed up Hautacam as if it was an uphill TT" ?
So your intial point " He has never gone all out the entire Tour" is just as biased and wrong. Nibali's proving you wrong by his own words. How convenient.
Not mentioning that AC did put him in the red at Gerardmer as well.

You guys keep bringing the same redundant arguments, "Nibali's never put in a little dig once" " He is on par with the best, see TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013"
And you say you're not overrating him... :rolleyes:

These Nibots. If they are not cheering their rivals crashes the logic is all over the place:

As i've said earlier, and it showed itself already in the Tour, that in order to keep the myth going Nibots has started to construct their own reality: if the numbers are not on par we'll create a parallell universe where "he didn't go as fast as he could" (of course ignoring Puritos remarks and his owns words), they've also started to act as if nothing ever happened during the Tour and that Froome and Contador still was in the race and if they was it still wouldnt matter since he "could have gone faster then the numbers" (lets pretend these numbers never have been hitted and construct that reality where they could exist).

Why are we even discussing Nibali in this thread when there is a thread about him collecting dust at page 2 in this forum? Its a shame they seems more intrested to talk about Contador then their own god.

Vinoattackseveryone said:
Yes, the great Milano Torino. The goal of the season. Some people even call it the classic of the year. Some on the other hand (myself included), find that the MT from 2012 has little value when we talk about peak performances in 2014

You was specifically asked to provide examples from races around 2014 where Nibali dropped AC, not in a passive-agressive manner pick and choose races where you suggest Nibali deliberately lost so that he could peak his fantasynumbers in races where AC didn't compete.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
"Surely we will see a duel with Contador", he assured, when asked about the presence of the Madrileño.

Lol. He just announced his participation at La Vuelta after fracturing his bones, and his opponent thought that he would be up there. That's a respect. (Even though there's no 100% guarentee what Bertie's shape of form would be..) :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Nibali didn't have to got all out on any climb the entire Tour. ;)

Lol. Good answer coz you can take the meaning either way. Either his watts ceiling was so high, he looks like just a sunday's strolling, or his opponents are mostly second rate climbers, even if he blow his nose at 20% climb with his two fingers stucks on his nose, he could still climb without even gasping for air. :D

Jelantik said:
Lol. He just announced his participation at La Vuelta after fracturing his bones, and his opponent thought that he would be up there. That's a respect. (Even though there's no 100% guarentee what Bertie's shape of form would be..) :D

Indeed no leeway will be given, he is to dangerous an opponent. I just hope he has some decent form!

sir fly said:
Where did you get that impression?

Arguing against the remark that it would have been a different race with him and Froome in the mix as mere speculation might give you a hint?

Note: I dont surely is saying AC would have won anyway and the comfort with that possibilty have made it easier to dealing with the crash, but some of the presented arguments in the aftermath really has made you wonder.

http://www.bt.dk/cykling/spansk-ekspert-contador-kommer-til-vueltaen-for-at-vinde

Carlos Arribas believes Contador will be very strong in the last 10 days, and will win la Vuelta.

Fingers crossed ! :) (I love that picture:p)
BvJ9dF3CcAEY6N5.jpg

Intresting article. Arribas more or less confirmed our speculations to be right and at another place in the paper:

Vi vil komme til Vueltaen og tage det dag for dag. Der er ikke noget pres på Alberto overhovedet, for selvfølgelig kan vi ikke regne med, at han er i topform. Derfor må vi afvente og se, hvordan det hele udvikler sig, Og hvordan, der bliver kørt, understreger Riis.

http://m.bt.dk/cykling/riis-faar-stjernen-med-til-vueltaen-her-er-min-plan-med-contador

Bjarne in full diplomatic mode. I cant wait for the action :cool:

BlurryVII said:
Can you post a traduction or a summary of the article please?
I struggle way too much with Danish :p

The quote quickly translated: We will come to the Vuelta and take it day by day. There isn't any pressure on Alberto at all because we obviously can't expect him to be in top form. Therefore we will have to wait and see how it all evolves and how there will be ridden.

BlurryVII said:
Can you post a traduction or a summary of the article please?
I struggle way too much with Danish :p

You better catch up. Many good things to be find there :p

Anyway. He says they will take the Vuelta day by day and that he (AC) will not be in top shape and have no pressure at all. They will see how the race develops
and how it will be ridden and from there shape a strategy. He also says (not in the quoted area) that we cant compare this Vuelta with 2012 since this time we'll have a stronger field.

It's like the mother of all diplomatic answer you can possibly think off (Tinkoff).

Edit: its a tie.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
The quote quickly translated: We will come to the Vuelta and take it day by day. There isn't any pressure on Alberto at all because we obviously can't expect him to be in top form. Therefore we will have to wait and see how it all evolves and how there will be ridden.

No_Balls said:
You better catch up. Many good things to be find there :p

Anyway. He says they will take the Vuelta day by day and that he (AC) will not be in top shape and have no pressure at all. They will see how the race develops
and how it will be ridden and from there shape a strategy. He also says (not in the quoted area) that we cant compare this Vuelta with 2012 since this time we'll have a stronger field.

It's like the mother of all diplomatic answer you can possibly think off (Tinkoff).

Edit: its a tie.

He wasn't gonna say anything else , all we have to wait for now is Jerez, the TTT will be interesting to see, whether he'll be pulling the team most of the time as he usually does or not, it'll be a clue about his shape..
Thanks!

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I really hope Kreuziger will ride too.Decision should be 20th August.It would be great:)

Where did you hear there was still chance for Kreuziger to race? I am almost certain he is finished for this season.
Would be great if he could race, the team without him is far too weak to support Alberto for GC. Anyway, with his injury and 2 weeks out of training, it takes a miracle man to compete for win in by far the most quality GT of this year.

My interest in this years Vuelta recently doubled!

Hopefully Contador can hold on in the first week, and maybe we will see a miracle.

I'm sorry if you don't believe in miracles.

Oh no, I've become Lance! ;)

Anyhoo, I'm gonna believe. Not saying he's going to win, but I'm saying there's a chance.

And better than Lloyd had of ever being with Mary Swanson!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
My interest in this years Vuelta recently doubled!

Hopefully Contador can hold on in the first week, and maybe we will see a miracle.

I'm sorry if you don't believe in miracles.

Oh no, I've become Lance! ;)

Anyhoo, I'm gonna believe. Not saying he's going to win, but I'm saying there's a chance.

And better than Lloyd had of ever being with Mary Swanson!
It will be tough as stage 6 is 'mountain' stage iirc.Froome and Murito will attack for sure like madmen,maybe even Nairo.Alberto will have hard days,Kreuziger can be crucial in a first week:)

btw Could you be so kind and delete your last line of your signature?:D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
this is hillarious,about 4-5 riders (so far) from Burgos said in interviews Contador will win Vuelta (they are spaniards,but still:D)

Obviously he only races to win, no one believes that bs about getting a stage in the last week.

He's already been training for 3 weeks after only being 2 weeks non-active, that's what the originaly guy on twitter said and i tend to believe him. He has a chance to win this.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Obviously he only races to win, no one believes that bs about getting a stage in the last week.

He's already been training for 3 weeks after only being 2 weeks non-active, that's what the originaly guy on twitter said and i tend to believe him. He has a chance to win this.
this,I apologize to that guy.Very good info by him.

Miburo said:

Another time agree.
Many people think Contador ride to win a stage. Muahhaha
It's obvius they don't know Alberto. We will see!!