Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 800 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
I don't think it's that simple... Alberto didn't even try. He followed every attack at the start and seemed to be freewheeling. Then he just sat on Valverde's wheel:confused:
So he covered multiple attacks from other riders, but when his main competitor attacks, he doesn't even bother trying to follow him? Yeah :cool:

BlurryVII said:
That was litterally the ****tiest attack . Even Barguil and Purito accelarated better than Froome & AC jumped to both attacks from Purito, and didn't move an inch when Froome attacked. It just doesn't make sense. He wanted to settle scores with Valverde and Purito .
He attacked right after Purito put down the hammer, but yeah, what a silly attack :eek::eek:
 
SeriousSam said:
Most likely explanation:

Contador wasn't feeling well and when Froome attacked, rather than having to face not being able to hold his wheel and drop back, which would lift Froome's spririts tremendously and constitute an unbearable loss of face, he didn't even try to go with him.
Yeah, not really, imo.
 
Feb 21, 2014
2,133
0
0
SeriousSam said:
Most likely explanation:

Contador wasn't feeling well and when Froome attacked, rather than having to face not being able to hold his wheel and drop back, which would lift Froome's spririts tremendously and constitute an unbearable loss of face, he didn't even try to go with him.
Yep that totally makes sense, he followed Froome in the queen stage, and left him in the dust on a much harder & longer climb, 3 days later, on reasonably easy short climb, he is afraid to follow his little acceleration and drop back. Sure.

Enough of the bull****? :rolleyes:
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
BlurryVII said:
Yep that totally makes sense, he followed Froome in the queen stage, and left him in the dust on a much harder & longer climb, 3 days later, on reasonably easy short climb, he is afraid to follow his little acceleration and drop back. Sure.

Enough of the bull****? :rolleyes:
“Sometimes he’s had a problem with changes of pace. He had just attacked before and I was catching my breath when he went again. I thought I’d go with Alejandro because he was defending his second place overall. I thought he had more responsibility [to work] than me.
That supports my theory. "I was catching my breath because he just attacked, so looked at Alejandro to do the work" certainly doesn't support the theory that he is secretly super strong and capable of dropping everyone at will but decided to just **** around with Puirto and Valverde and lose all the advantage he gained on Monday.

Also, perhaps Contador is actually right when he says
I think Saturday’s stage [at Ancares, the Vuelta’s eight summit finishes – ed.] is very different to today’s. It’s one which is more suited to me because it’s about straightforward physical condition
His advantage over Froome diminishes when the climb is shorter.
 
BeagRigh said:
What sort of a eijit does that?! :rolleyes:
The thing is not that it was illogical to think that. Froome wasn't that strong and if Valverde had closed the gap Contador could've saved some energy. The dumb thing was that it was completely unnecessary for Contador to try and save energy.
 
SeriousSam said:
That supports my theory. "I was catching my breath because he just attacked, so looked at Alejandro to do the work" certainly doesn't support the theory that he is secretly super strong and capable of dropping everyone at will but decided to just **** around with Puirto and Valverde and lose all the advantage he gained on Monday.

Also, perhaps Contador is actually right when he says


His advantage over Froome diminishes when the climb is shorter.
Rule #1, don't just believe whatever Contador says in interviews regarding form and races
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,097
0
0
Some of you need to see this again now. HE doesn't seems so relaxed IMO and all this paying back to Valverde thing ( paying what and for what? Froome is just a flat tire in TT behind) falls when you see him taking turns and attacking. Anyway, we'll see Saturday. Excellent Vuelta so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISvW3wU0Fw
 
Feb 21, 2014
2,133
0
0
SeriousSam said:
That supports my theory. "I was catching my breath because he just attacked, so looked at Alejandro to do the work" certainly doesn't support the theory that he is secretly super strong and capable of dropping everyone at will but decided to just **** around with Puirto and Valverde and lose all the advantage he gained on Monday.

Also, perhaps Contador is actually right when he says


His advantage over Froome diminishes when the climb is shorter.
You can also see it from this point of view :
"“I knew the time differences would be minimal because the last part of the climb wasn’t that hard, and independently of whatever the time loss has been, I hope it's not a problem"

No need to waste energy & jump on Froome's wheel given the easy and short climb.
if it was a longer climb, he would have never let him go especially given the initial weak acceleration.
 

Netbalp

BANNED
Jun 26, 2014
85
0
0
Contador couldn't follow Froome. It can never be unnecessary to say to the other one 'you couldn't do anything against me once again'. Both are weak and long way out of their peak form though.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
LaFlorecita said:
Rule #1, don't just believe whatever Contador says in interviews regarding form and races
True, he misled everyone about the severity of his injury but even Contador's statements occasionally contain a grain of truth. :p


If you don't believe he struggled, what do you think happened today?
 
SeriousSam said:
That supports my theory. "I was catching my breath because he just attacked, so looked at Alejandro to do the work" certainly doesn't support the theory that he is secretly super strong and capable of dropping everyone at will but decided to just **** around with Puirto and Valverde and lose all the advantage he gained on Monday.
Somehow you missed the last sentence (about the responsibility-part) which makes our theories highly plausible. I can understand that from a mind circulating around Froome 24/7 AC:s own effort is actually something that Froome could be held responsible for.

Tomorrow, at this time, you'll be proven wrong, very much like the last three
week.
 
Mar 28, 2014
507
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Funny :)



Stupidity happened
I agree.
He simply paid a small sleep :rolleyes:

I hope that on Saturday proves, once again, who is the strongest with a nice
stage victory ( finally making the team work to keep closed the race :p)
 
Apr 16, 2014
533
0
0
Wondering why the Froome discussion thread is not lit up with pages of posts congratulating Froome on his wonderful performance today?

Oh, yeah, what fun would that be when there are aspersions to cast over on the Contador thread :rolleyes:
 
“Sometimes he’s had a problem with changes of pace. He had just attacked before and I was catching my breath when he went again. I thought I’d go with Alejandro because he was defending his second place overall. I thought he had more responsibility [to work] than me.
Enough said.

Lets pretend Contador didn't have the legs to go with Dawgs thermonuclear Alien ultra attack. He would still have to at least tried to ride within his limits because he just the other day stated him as his fiercest rivals, to limit his losses. This didn't happen because he at the moment thought about Valverdes overall ambitions. He says: "i thought he had the responsibilities to pull".

The only reason why he wouldnt pull (or rather couldnt) where if he was on his limits or was about to bonk. That didn't happen.

It cant be any clearer.

There is something about Alejandro Valverde.
 
There is nothing in this at all, Purito made an attack, Contador followed, was catching his breath as he said and didn't feel like immediately jumping on the next wheel, Froome's in that case. So he was looking at Valverde to do the pace only it wasn't fast enough to keep Froome in check. When he realized that he accelerated himself for a couple of seconds, didn't manage to drop either Purito and Valverde and after that made no further efforts to get away from the group, despite having had a great opportunity to jump up to Froome/Aru after the big turn Purito made, most likely because he had to catch his breath again. After that he did a turn of steady pacemaking under the last km banner and at the line was outsprinted by Valverde and Purito.
To me that looks like on this particular day on this particular climb, Aru was the strongest, Froome second strongest, and Contador third along with Valverde and Purito.
 
Apr 9, 2014
466
0
0
Mark my words Alberto could have followed and passed Froome if he was more aggressive. He's waiting for Saturday.
 
Alcanelo said:
Mark my words Alberto could have followed and passed Froome if he was more aggressive. He's waiting for Saturday.
Don't think he would have beaten Froome. He ain't that fast on a finish like today's - And he certainly wouldn't have gotten away from Froome on a stage like today's. He said yesterday that today was not a day that suits him. He said Saturday was more in his favor. I agree with you on your last point...I think he'll shine a lot brighter on Sat.
 
No_Balls said:
Enough said.

Lets pretend Contador didn't have the legs to go with Dawgs thermonuclear Alien ultra attack. He would still have to at least tried to ride within his limits because he just the other day stated him as his fiercest rivals, to limit his losses. This didn't happen because he at the moment thought about Valverdes overall ambitions. He says: "i thought he had the responsibilities to pull".

The only reason why he wouldnt pull (or rather couldnt) where if he was on his limits or was about to bonk. That didn't happen.

It cant be any clearer.

There is something about Alejandro Valverde.
Contador's mistake was that he doesn't read CN forums, particularly posts about Alejandro Valverde. He could have learn that Valverde will never ever pull when in a group even if he were about to loose Tour de France. Apart from the moments when he suddenly realizes that he's one of the best all-rounders in the recent history of this sport, attacks and goes alone for the win, Valverde will always be satisfied with a podium finish. That's what he achieved today and probably at the end of Vuelta.

As for Alberto, he is in control and if nothing dramatic happens he'll follow Froome anywhere, maybe even snatch another win. After all the dawg, even if he tuned down a bit his alienness, was and is the only one who can challenge a resurrected Contador.
 
pigoonse said:
Wondering why the Froome discussion thread is not lit up with pages of posts congratulating Froome on his wonderful performance today?

Oh, yeah, what fun would that be when there are aspersions to cast over on the Contador thread :rolleyes:
LOL it's much more fun to come over here and bait the Berto fans than to go to their own guys thread and say nice things. But what else can one expect from internet users under fake names? Adult behavior? Sometimes that seems in short supply by some on this forum :p

IMO Alberto had just made multiple hard efforts and didn't have the legs to follow Froome, who actually made a great little move there, at the time. Why he didn't try later is beyond me. But it doesn't seem to be like him at all to wait for someone else to do the work if he can.

If this was his 'bad day' I can live with that :).
 
Rollthedice said:
Contador's mistake was that he doesn't read CN forums, particularly posts about Alejandro Valverde. He could have learn that Valverde will never ever pull when in a group even if he were about to loose Tour de France. Apart from the moments when he suddenly realizes that he's one of the best all-rounders in the recent history of this sport, attacks and goes alone for the win, Valverde will always be satisfied with a podium finish. That's what he achieved today and probably at the end of Vuelta.

As for Alberto, he is in control and if nothing dramatic happens he'll follow Froome anywhere, maybe even snatch another win. After all the dawg, even if he tuned down a bit his alienness, was and is the only one who can challenge a resurrected Contador.
Pretty much. AC does not have to do anything, he is in the drivers seat. Alberto shows he understands the race and other riders abilities. Whenever he needed to show something he does. He does not waste energy. Looks at race as three weeks, not one stage.
As for Valverde, I think AC gave him the big payback. When they had the chance to put Froome away days ago, Valv and Purito did not want to help. They thought they were going to put time on AC. Big mistake. So Froome has new lifw and Purito is off the podium and Valverde lucky he is in third.
Ac will win Vuelta. Absolutely no question about it. Today was game for him.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts