• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 898 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Red Rick said:
He might need to go to a new team next year. Tinkov's company is doing pretty bad due to the crappy Russian economy and the UN sanctioning Russia. Tinkov might have to stop sponsoring the team.

Wow that would totally stink :( Riis would be back to scraping up $$ here and there and some good riders would need to go. Just when it looked as if his team woes were behind him. Hopefully there is a more pleasant solution.

LaFlorecita said:
Berto 3rd for "Hero of the year"

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...014-cycling-weekly-reader-poll-results-150080

not bad, behind 2 British riders on a British website:)

And Vuelta wins "International stage race of the year" :)
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...014-cycling-weekly-reader-poll-results-150055

Site is biased so ****ing bad, what has Adam Yates done all year, I honestly can't remember a single thing of which I'm sure it was him.

They're also super degrading about the Vuelta.

"Yes, the Vuelta. That’s the one with wide, featureless roads and no spectators, where in the past even the riders have fallen into a ditch to try to put an end to three weeks of misery."

Seriously?

Red Rick said:
Site is biased so ****ing bad, what has Adam Yates done all year, I honestly can't remember a single thing of which I'm sure it was him.

"Yes, the Vuelta. That’s the one with wide, featureless roads and no spectators, where in the past even the riders have fallen into a ditch to try to put an end to three weeks of misery."

Seriously?

Yes they're very biased...I've learned to ignore alot of their articles. IMO the only decent thing they cover is the different woes bikers experience in traffic with cars hitting them and stuff like that.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Jspear said:
That would be a bummer. I think AC is more set up now than ever...hopefully all ends up well.

And one thing that would help is if he had a strong team. It doesn't matter if they aren't as strong as AC. The more support he has the less energy he uses....and also, most likely Aru will try to attack plenty. That's the type of rider he is - not saying it will be successful. :)

Not really, in the giro 2011 his team was **** but he still didn't have to do much at all, yet he wasted a lot of unnecessary energy.

Contador knows that i think, he won't make that mistake again.

Miburo said:
Not really, in the giro 2011 his team was **** but he still didn't have to do much at all, yet he wasted a lot of unnecessary energy.

Contador knows that i think, he won't make that mistake again.

We will have to agree to disagree. :) I would prefer to see him with a moderately strong team...keep him sheltered as much as possible. In 2011 he wasn't starting the Giro with the Tour in mind. This time he is, so no doubt he will want to not only conserve his own energy, but be able to also rely on a strong team. All the help he gets helps him get closer to actually doing the double.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys;

The last time Alberto did the Giro/Tour he ended up paying for it in the Alps. Yes, that Giro was one of the hardest Giros in recent history but... the doubts will be there. I certainly hope he understood what he did wrong and that there's a way for him not to lose too much form in the process.

Him getting dropped on the Galibier, which is a pass he always attacks on, is still stuck to the back of my head.

The_Juan said:
Guys;

The last time Alberto did the Giro/Tour he ended up paying for it in the Alps. Yes, that Giro was one of the hardest Giros in recent history but... the doubts will be there. I certainly hope he understood what he did wrong and that there's a way for him not to lose too much form in the process.

Him getting dropped on the Galibier, which is a pass he always attacks on, is still stuck to the back of my head.

Yep in a recent article (don't feel like looking for it right now) he explained what went wrong in the 2011 Tour. He is aware of what went "wrong." In short: #1 he wasn't really ready to do the Tour - he didn't know he would be riding the Tour till a couple of weeks before it I believe, then there was the multiple crashes, ect...point is he learned from that....I think we can expect better this time. :)

Red Rick said:

Seriously?

The poll is fair enough if that's what the readers like, but the editorial is snide. Remarks like that about the Vuelta and the raking up about 'dodgy steak' in the context of a poll in which your readers have just voted someone as the 3rd placed hero is really rather unnecessary.

Par for the course, though. Why I find myself decidedly unpatriotic about sports these days. Really have to like an individual to overcome my natural resistance to such bias.

Re. Tinkoff…Doesn't he get 2% of TCS profit just for the privilege of using the Tinkoff brand name? Isn't he worth £1.4 Bn? He could probably fund the team from his petty cash.

He was probably having a bad day / has had a whim to do something else / stirring up publicity. There are no flies on Oleg, but I can't see him not being able to find a few million here and there for something which takes his fancy. I'd be more worried if I thought he was getting bored of owning a cycling team.

Basso on Alberto's double attempt.

“As a spectator, my opinion is that if all the top GC decide to ride the Giro and the Tour and they all target the win then Alberto is the favourite for both races. If Alberto rides the first and the second and someone only rides the Tour, then that’s more difficult, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve never really rode close to Alberto. Sometimes in France and then now in training camps. He’s a Hors Categorie champion, he does his job and he takes care of all the small details as if he was a neo-pro and that’s the biggest difference. If you’re a big talent and you do everything right then it all makes a big difference.”

Basso is ready to help in the effort!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bas...ontadors-super-domestique-in-giro-tour-double

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Wow that would totally stink :( Riis would be back to scraping up $$ here and there and some good riders would need to go. Just when it looked as if his team woes were behind him. Hopefully there is a more pleasant solution.

Red Rick said:
He might need to go to a new team next year. Tinkov's company is doing pretty bad due to the crappy Russian economy and the UN sanctioning Russia. Tinkov might have to stop sponsoring the team.

yeah.. i just read it. I'm like WHY.. WHY.. WHY????? they are just get to the point where they have a solid team, good chemistry, now.. problem again. It's like they are following Riis everywhere. Contador seems to never has a quiet year. It's almost something is happening. They got big goal 2015.. this news isn't great because it's a distraction! I hope he sold it to Alonso before it's too late. Otherwise.. it's a dooms day.. <sigh>.

Carols said:
He seems to have faced the 'reality' of his situation and new duties. We will find out soon enough!
I doubt it, but hey it's just around the corner.

Netserk said:
What are you babbling about?
Fish memory? Basso 2012 TdF what a great helper he was. Hey, it's simple, just watch...of course, provided Contador gets to ride the Giro (I need to be consistent with my thoughts).

cineteq said:
Fish memory? Basso 2012 TdF what a great helper he was. Hey, it's simple, just watch...of course, provided Contador gets to ride the Giro (I need to be consistent with my thoughts).

He was loyal and did all he could. Your mistake if you after that Giro thought he would be able to do more in the Tour than he did...

Perhaps if you had your eyes open in 2010, you would have realized that Basso wouldn't set the peloton on fire in the Tour after having done the Giro.

Netserk said:
He was loyal and did all he could. Your mistake if you after that Giro thought he would be able to do more in the Tour than he did.
Loyal ain't the same as helpful, right? And if he does what you say I'll be the first one to admit it and praise him.

LaFlorecita said:
Babbling nonsense, as usual.
This poster is so funny that she's willing to contradicts herself in order to have a dig at anyone :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Contador was gonna be a domestique for Basso in '07.

He kinda got lucky Basso got suspended cause at that moment Basso was by far the best GT rider (ullrich retired), it might have delayed his progress for a year or 2

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
And Cineteq exposed himself again. Ask F. Schleck who helped him in the classic in '06.

He pulled for nibali too in tour'12. And loyal not meaning the same as helpful is ***, it doesn't even support his argument since he then admits basso is loyal.

Typical idiot who can't even troll properly anymore.

Miburo said:
And Cineteq exposed himself again. Ask F. Schleck who helped him in the classic in '06.

He pulled for nibali too in tour'12. And loyal not meaning the same as helpful is ***, it doesn't even support his argument since he then admits basso is loyal.

Insults are not arguments, when people resort to insults and personal abuses, then, they have run out of logic!

Miburo said:

His arguments are so ridiculous, he can't possibly believe them himself. In other words, he only posts to provoke --> trolling. Can't believe the mods still have not taken action.

Miburo said:

True. I just recently watched my video of the LBL from 2006 and Basso was quite prominent chasing down attacks for Frank Schleck in the final km's. It was one of the more exciting editions IMO.

Miburo said:

a gynecologist?

had to be done :p

i think basso can be a super domestique but above all a great leader like JFK or mandela were. he gives you that zen state, he mades you tranquilo during a race and that is still important even for alberto
but i still dream of him getting at least a stage win!