• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 962 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"El equipo hizo un comunicado en el que confirma que el ciclista no sufre lesiones de consideración: "Contador fue tratado por el médico del equipo en el hotel. La primera evaluación es positiva y no parece tener lesión alguna". "

:eek:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Jack_89 said:
BlurryVII said:
Contador should just pull out of this **** race, it's not worth it. Looks like, it's one of those years where everything goes wrong. Ridiculous.
I personally don't have much hope anymore for the rest of the season.

He should retire already this year , after this Volta :rolleyes:

Eh, when karma repetitively strikes on you, it means it's just not your season. Even if he gets back on the right path, something else will happen.

Then we'll end up watching diminished Alberto, causing mayhem in the peloton, you know, entertaining people but still loosing at the end as usual. That's what you guys like apparently. He just can never truly be at 100% without Bull,*** happening.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jack_89 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Sergi López-Egea ‏@sergi_lopezegea 4m4 minutes ago
Oficial. Magulladuras y quemaduras superficiales en brazo, gluteo y pierna izquierda. Un ciclista del Colombia se le cruzó y tumbó Contador

Gosh darn Colombians :mad: :eek: ;)

So , "good" news. Nothing of serious apparently and the Giro is still far( 40 days , he has time to recover and training) :)

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I'm going to take it out on my Colombian neighbor ;)

BlurryVII said:
Jack_89 said:
BlurryVII said:
Contador should just pull out of this **** race, it's not worth it. Looks like, it's one of those years where everything goes wrong. Ridiculous.
I personally don't have much hope anymore for the rest of the season.

He should retire already this year , after this Volta :rolleyes:

Eh, when karma repetitively strikes on you, it means it's just not your season. Even if he gets back on the right path, something else will happen.

Then we'll end up watching diminished Alberto, causing mayhem in the peloton, you know, entertaining people but still loosing at the end as usual. That's what you guys like apparently. He just can never truly be at 100% without Bull,**** happening.
You (and others) are too pessimistic for my taste in this period. Too well accustomed to 2014 when Alberto was only the tour aims. This year he's going for double so he couldn't keep the same level of 2014's spring

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You (and others) are too pessimistic for my taste in this period. Too well accustomed to 2014 when Alberto was only the tour aims. This year he's going for double so he couldn't keep the same level of 2014's spring

I know that, It has nothing to do with 2014. Don't you see he already crashed 3 times this year? You think this is gonna help his preperation?

Even in 2014, when he was finally at his peak, and about to get an imperial win at the Tour, he crashed. 100% AC is just something that's not happening. It's a myth lmao

I'm not loving this season thus far, but I don't think he's that far off track. As for the crash, that's just unlucky, not fate or anything. He's clearly got excess weight, but it's not that much - and certainly 40 days of training and three of racing will take the bulk off. What's crap is the illness - though it happens - and Oleg being such a tool. What's he thinking?

As for team sky's season so far - well, it sticks in my craw. But they can win all the one day races and short stage races they like and I won't give a damn if it means they are not on form for the Giro or Tour.

BlurryVII said:

I know that, It has nothing to do with 2014. Don't you see he already crashed 3 times this year? You think this is gonna help his preperation?

Even in 2014, when he was finally at his peak, and about to get an imperial win at the Tour, he crashed. 100% AC is just something that's not happening. It's a myth lmao
In fact , last year he suffered only a crash ...but it was fatal. Today he was just unluky, not fate : i agree with Electress

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
It is not possible to peak for both the Giro and the Tour. He either needs to peak for the Giro and hold his form throughout the following 2 months, or build towards a peak during the Giro and reach that peak at the Tour.

Me thinks he needs to be in top shape at the Giro, but not before, as he is doing now. Then, after the Giro, he needs two weeks rest and then a period at altitude to build back up again, to be ready for the Tour. Batteries recharged willing. It's a gamble, but it has been done before by the great ones.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Well 3 crahses and a cold which hampered him in T-A. Not the best preperation. But with the solid wintertraining it seems he has been doing, i am quite comfortable that he can overcome this. He did win the Vuelta with one leg you know.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, everyone calm down. Let him recover and train well the next month and I think he will be flying in Italy. I think the rest of the team will also do much better when it's time to line up for the Giro.

Re:

Electress said:
I'm not loving this season thus far, but I don't think he's that far off track. As for the crash, that's just unlucky, not fate or anything. He's clearly got excess weight, but it's not that much - and certainly 40 days of training and three of racing will take the bulk off. What's crap is the illness - though it happens - and Oleg being such a tool. What's he thinking?

As for team sky's season so far - well, it sticks in my craw. But they can win all the one day races and short stage races they like and I won't give a damn if it means they are not on form for the Giro or Tour.

I think were having a great cycling season so far. So much good racing, unfortunaley I'd like to see Contador winning or showing more promiss as well, but unfortunately so far it's been mixed emotions.

Before the season I hoped he wouldn't be very good in the races before the Giro so he would be at his best in the 2 GT's he targets, but it's certainly not comforting.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
wow.. he has been getting a string of bad luck and back luck for some reason. Reminds me of the 2011 TDF. Is he tired, lost focus or weak team?? This is a bizarre year for sure. Contador and Froome, the most talked rider so far this season, they are struggles with illness, crashes. Oh my. Porte and Quintana seems to be one that's flying high. I don't know.. The riders are sick, tired, under performed and the management are fighting. this comotion with bjarne and oleg.. just making thing worse. fuffff.. this is going to be a tough year for Contador.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:

I would like to agree with you. But the thing is.. collectively sky is stronger than TS right now. (by the fact of different riders won different races). Even if it's only one day or 1 week stage race. You can't be far behind with that kind of form. Maybe they will fade, but it's better than until now, no one shows up. Even contador 2013's performance was at least better than the rest of TS team this year. And yet, he was almost non factor. Good form now, at least indication of what that might be later (even though it's not always guarantee). But at least it keeps your mind at ease)

SKY have strength in numbers while TCS do not ...I thought and still do that buying Sagan was a mistake....You could have got 10 very good riders for one Sagan ...Say a few Columbians & cobbles riders and one days riders,etc...One thing SKY has shown is you need the numbers , just even to statistically get the wins and you need the numbers to ensure you have riders to support the leaders
TCS has good riders but not enough and because of the amount they are paying him focus is very much on Sagan (and Contador) ...alot of pressure...for just two riders to win it all
Contador can take it but he could do with better help ..Not sure about Sagan ....I do think Sagan is a very good rider but in TCS with double focus and the pressure of Tinkov I am not sure he will flourish.
Team are either grand tour teams like SKY , Astana Movistar or classic teams like EQS, Trek ...hard to be both unless you ahave a good bunch of riders at the top level in both .... and no team has manged that in the last few years (though SKY might this year)

But nothig would do Tinkov...he wanted both Green & Yellow at the Tour .....You divide the focus of the team at your peril

Having said that some of the team looky bulky to me as if they have bulit too much muscle ?? I notice this with Sagan, Contador and others ...What gives....why change what was working ???

Re:

HelloDolly said:
SKY have strength in numbers while TCS do not ...I thought and still do that buying Sagan was a mistake....You could have got 10 very good riders for one Sagan ...Say a few Columbians & cobbles riders and one days riders,etc...One thing SKY has shown is you need the numbers , just even to statistically get the wins and you need the numbers to ensure you have riders to support the leaders
TCS has good riders but not enough and because of the amount they are paying him focus is very much on Sagan (and Contador) ...alot of pressure...for just two riders to win it all
Contador can take it but he could do with better help ..Not sure about Sagan ...
.I do think Sagan is a very good rider but in TCS with double focus and the pressure of Tinkov I am not sure he will flourish.
Team are either grand tour teams like SKY , Astana Movistar or classic teams like EQS, Trek ...hard to be both unless you ahave a good bunch of riders at the top level in both .... and no team has manged that in the last few years (though SKY might this year)

But nothig would do Tinkov...he wanted both Green & Yellow at the Tour .....You divide the focus of the team at your peril

Having said that some of the team looky bulky to me as if they have bulit too much muscle ?? I notice this with Sagan, Contador and others ...What gives....why change what was working ???

Again, maybe I'm projecting, but I shouldn't be at all surprised if one of the reasons AC is so definite he's retiring, is years and years of being the guy on which so much is resting. There must be a point when the will to win wanes. He clearly doesn't enjoy the TdF because of the pressure, even though he shoulders it extremely well for the most part.

I think Sagan is a tough cookie; it seems he stood up to Tinkoff. I think he'll do ok, but is in transition both in terms of being on a new team, and no longer being the 'brilliant new prospect'.

The 'divide your team at your peril' has happened once before - I've never forgiven Sky for what they did to Cavendish - promising much support and delivering…nothing. So, I think it's a very tall order. But if AC is doing okay and the goal is the yellow in th TdF, it might also take the pressure off Sagan and he might just enjoy marauding a little bit rather than being th focus of everything. Let's hope so.

I'm going to work on the basis of optimism, that the tide will turn and TS will have their moment in the sun this season. Let's just hope all the crap is over and done with now, and the rest of the year is plainer sailing.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
According to De Jongh a Columbia rider hit AC's and caused the crash. It really tells how important it is to have a strong team that can keep you in the front for the last 5k.

Re:

rm7 said:
According to De Jongh a Columbia rider hit AC's and caused the crash. It really tells how important it is to have a strong team that can keep you in the front for the last 5k.

Hope de Jongh looks back at that statement and feels ridiculous. Coldeportes' statement:

http://www.colombiacyclingpro.com/colom ... 99s-crash/
Following Tinkoff-Saxo’s statement on their official Facebook page concerning Alberto Contador’s accident in Vuelta a Catalunya stage 6, initially claiming one of our team riders had caused the Spaniard’s crash, and published by several medias, Team Colombia-Coldeportes wishes to clarify what follows.

Leonardo Duque was the only Colombia-Coldeportes’ rider in Contador’s group with 2 km to go. Having a teammate ahead of the pack, Duque moved to the fore with the intention of signaling to a motorbike riding too close to the lead of the bunch under the race rules. Duque took a bend in first position, and eventually heard the crash behind him: hence, there is no way he could have possibly touched Contador’s rear wheel.

As sportsmen and part of the cycling family, we feel sorry about Alberto’s crash, but we think it is unfair to aggrieve any team or rider with the fault of any crash (part of cycling’s everyday business) without a certain and clear evidence of it, particularly with claims coming from official sources with wide exposure.