• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jilbiker said:
In soccer there is what is known as "match fitness" very different from regular fitness. I think we are now realizing what this means in cycling. AC has enough experience as a pro that he knew it would be a factor. But it is a 3 wk race which is good and so he can sharpen his skills, gain some confidence. A win would have been good from a mind fitness point, but it is more important to get the win this week rather than last. i am not ruling out a win in the ITT, I think he has planned for it and it will be be just perfecto for confidence and sharpness going into saturday.

Remember though. AC won his first Giro with zero preparation (even though it's not the same as not racing for 6 months). And if I'm not mistaken, he didn't won any stage either. He won Giro by 'being the most consistent' in 3 weeks. I think we'll see something similar to this on the Vuelta.

ferryman said:
Agreed. But I noticed from one of the comments from AC in admitting he messed up his attack Sunday that he felt good and could have gone with Gilbert. Given that Froome was out on his feet already that would have been interesting. Just saying:)

You're right. It was a missed opportunity. Not that he would have won the stage but he definitely would've gained valuable time on Froome.

Jelantik said:
Remember though. AC won his first Giro with zero preparation (even though it's not the same as not racing for 6 months). And if I'm not mistaken, he didn't won any stage either. He won Giro by 'being the most consistent' in 3 weeks. I think we'll see something similar to this on the Vuelta.

If I recall correctly he never attempted an attack the entire 3 weeks and raced a portion of the Giro with a fracture I believe in his elbow from an earlier crash, making out of the saddle climbing difficult.

The Hitch said:
Well Purito is popular, he did afterall make the front cover of Marca, full page, after his Assisi stage win.

but id say Contador would be responsible for a larger number of new viewers ;)

...and the fact that you have 3 high profile Spaniards prominently battling daily for the gc. That can't help but draw in Spanish viewers.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and the fact that you have 3 high profile Spaniards prominently battling daily for the gc. That can't help but draw in Spanish viewers.

...and the race has started one week earlier so there's more people on holiday able to watch/sleep after lunch

A bit about Alberto in stage 10 thread (thanks Hitch)

Hitch said:
Head to head questionaire.
What would you be if you werent a cyclist

Contador :Vet

Froome: I studied economy at Uni (cue 2 minute speech to basically say:Economist)

Your idol?

Contador Lance

Froome :Jens Voigt (cue 2 minute speech about why he likes Voigt)

The others best quality?

Contador :Froomes Time trial
Froome: Contadors explosiveness (cue about 1 minute speech)

Finish the sentence "If nothing goes right...
Contador: Champion is revealed
Froome: well, i would say (2 minute speech culminating in - ) take it as an experience

Qualities youd take from other riders
Contador:
Indurains tt
Armstrongs determination
Climbing like Pantani

Froome:
Sprint like Cav (2 minute speech on Cav)
Voigts determination (2 minute repeat speech on Voigt )
Indurains tt (run out of breath by nbow)

Best moment of your career
Contaodr: when i won Chrono in Annency

Froome : Stage 17 of last years Vuelta to Pena Cabarga. That was special because....

I added the Pantani climbing bit.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Yeah,but rather snooze-effect in Tour:rolleyes:

I think this is a big reason too. The ratings here in the Netherlands for the Tour were a lot lower than previous years too. And I doubt that was because of all Dutch hopes crashing, since we are used to that by now.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
I think this is a big reason too. The ratings here in the Netherlands for the Tour were a lot lower than previous years too. And I doubt that was because of all Dutch hopes crashing, since we are used to that by now.

Lol it's funny cause it's true xD

You gotta pety the Dutch people especially Gesink. I think he fell in the latest 4 tours 3 times and bye GC :(

I wonder what Gesink can do tomorrow. Sometimes he can TT really good but on some occasions he's pathetic. Let's see what it'll be this time :D

do7ll.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Publicus said:
As much crap as I give Noval for being a fat a$$, he's the last guy with Contador today. It looks like they told Rafal, Serghio, Dani, Jesus and Bruno to take it easy. All came in 3'49"

They only need to be good in stage 14,15, 16 and 20. The rest doesn't matter.

And kudos to Noval he did his job, still in last 10 km Contador was on his own.