• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
That Cobo was magical. Contador would have collided with huge difficulties, fighting against him. It is not correct to take Contador and his palmares on one side, Cobo in the Vuelta '11 on other one and say 'Cobo is nobody by and large'. Such a point is a huge in rider's name rather than in racing reality.

Following your logic Contador couldn't drop Rodriguez who failed to beat a miserable Hesjedal who has never been match for Contador.

It's different races, different stories with lots of circumstances. Polntless to compare them.

Trust you to focus on the least important part of my question. :rolleyes: So have another go. How many minutes, seconds, any time at all did Froome put into Cobo with his "outerworldy blistering" attack at Pena Carbega? You are allowed a 25% deviation and you answer will still count as correct. :D:cool:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
GJB123 said:
Trust you to focus on the least important part of my question. :rolleyes: So have another go. How many minutes, seconds, any time at all did Froome put into Cobo with his "outerworldy blistering" attack at Pena Carbega? You are allowed a 25% deviation and you answer will still count as correct. :D:cool:

Pena Cabarga wasn't presented like a demonstration of diabolic strength. The guy told that it was impressive. Nothing more. Do you hint if one couldn't drop the 2011 Vuelta Cobo, it can't be called a fantastic perfomance or what?

Yes, it's difficult to talk to me for someone for who Contador is cycling. Though, seems like we could find a common language with Miburo.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
What an attack it was. He was out the pedals sprinting up 15% for 40 seconds. This is the sort of thing Alberto can now only sustain for max 20 secs

Anyway it boils down ability go faster than rivals after 20/40 sec, not to number of secondes.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Why do people keep leaving Romandie out? :confused:

If we look purely at palmares to determine who will win in July then Contador will obviously always win. But Froome didn't emerge until 2011. And things change. As it stands, this year, Froome has been the better and looks like more of a favorite for the win then Contador IMO. Not to say that Contador can't beat him (I think he still has a good chance of winning the Tour, despite his performance thus far this season), but looking only at past palmares to determine who will win isn't the most accurate way of logically predicting a winner.

I'm confused. you contradicted yourself. You said past palmares shouldn't be the measure for predicting winner. But yet you said, Froome is more favorite to win based on this year's performance (his feb, march, april = his past performance, and now he has palmares of winning Oman, Crit and Romandie). So past palmares isn't = to past performance? You achieve your palmares based on your performance on the race? No?:D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree but you must admit AC cannot hold an acceleration like he used to

Give him until the tour, if he fails there then start talking this.

Using the vuelta 2012 as a basis for your theory is ridiculous.

His season until now was bad but he was also sick and it seems all saxo guys are getting real good.

Wait until July. 2 months.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
Give him until the tour, if he fails there then start talking this.

Using the vuelta 2012 as a basis for your theory is ridiculous.

His season until now was bad but he was also sick and it seems all saxo guys are getting real good.

Wait until July. 2 months.

I hope you are correct. If not the Tour could be very one sided i.e. the Chris Froome show

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree but you must admit AC cannot hold an acceleration like he used to

Like in Verbier? Yes. Though, it's very difficult. Necessary to be much better than opponents on a separate day to do Verbier. Contador rather smashed opponents with persistency, hurricane of attacks.

Your conclusion just seems hasty to me, given he's had the only run at Prati Tivo this year. Dauphine is gonna answer many questions. I bet Contador and Froome want to test each other full blast. Contador will attack because it's Contador, Froome will attack because he wants to try how it is to attack Contador first.

airstream said:
Pena Cabarga wasn't presented like a demonstration of diabolic strength. The guy told that it was impressive. Nothing more. Do you hint if one couldn't drop the 2011 Vuelta Cobo, it can't be called a fantastic perfomance or what?

Actually he called it "pretty spectacular" and said it was the only time we witnessed "Froome going all out". Now I 'll agree that the initial attack looked somewhat spectacular although it wasn't explosive enough to distance Cobo immediately. But the overall result of the attack was less than impressive gaining him absolutely nothing on Cobo. If that is Froome going all out people should watch some other video's (not only of Contador) to see and understand what is really impressive. All imho naturally.

Yes, it's difficult to talk to me for someone for who Contador is cycling. Though, seems like we could find a common language with Miburo.

Is this referring to me? If it is you are totally clueless. Then again, that would be no surprise.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I'm confused. you contradicted yourself. You said past palmares shouldn't be the measure for predicting winner. But yet you said, Froome is more favorite to win based on this year's performance (his feb, march, april = his past performance, and now he has palmares of winning Oman, Crit and Romandie). So past palmares isn't = to past performance? You achieve your palmares based on your performance on the race? No?:D

Relying on only past results from years back (2007, 08, 09, etc.) isn't the best way to predict a winner.

Now, past results (no matter how many years back they were) should be taken into some account as they do tell us what a rider is capable of. But the more recent the results you look at the better, as the most recent results are most indicative of where a rider stands.

Alberto Contador‏@albertocontador16m
Hoy entrenamiento duro y muy frio!Today training hard and very cold!

BLCfBU5CMAAlvPS.jpg

Alberto is the master of google translate :D

Edit: Damn I'm not capable of copying pic urls on this stupid laptop

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto Contador‏@albertocontador16m
Hoy entrenamiento duro y muy frio!Today training hard and very cold!

large

Alberto is the master of google translate :D

Edit: Damn I'm not capable of copying pic urls on this stupid laptop

Here you go, didnt he train with Jesus, Roman, CAS and Roche?

BLCfBU5CMAAlvPS.jpg:large

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
Here you go, didnt he train with Jesus, Roman, CAS and Roche?

BLCfBU5CMAAlvPS.jpg:large

LOL! While the guys of the Giro are relaxing due to snow and cold weather outside, he's riding in it. :D
I know, not as much snow and cold as at the Giro.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:

The last perfomances just have a bigger weight in any estimations.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Timmy Duggan
Mickey Rogey
Nicki
CAS
Noval (Noooo..!)
Sergio
and ofc Jesus

I hope they just put Noval in the team so Alberto won't cry when he doesn't get included in TDF team.

According to a Danish newspaper it seems 5 guys are fighting for the last 2 spots: Mørkøv, Noval, Paulinho, Tosatto and Benatti.

The 7 who seem to have cashed in their tickets are: Bertie, Jesus, Nicki, Roche, Rogers, Kreuziger, and CAS

TRENDING THREADS