• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 320 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Can we stick a fork in AC now after today's embarrassment in the TT? Unless a (clears throat) miracle happens, AC is not going to win the TDF this year.

The bookies think so.

This is an interesting site. http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/tour-de-france/winner It not only aggregates all of the odds across the big bookmakers globally, but also shows any trends. Contador blew out overnight. Went from equal fave to distinct 2nd. Went from around 2.30 Fave to high 3s and even $4+.

I'm happy to take him on. I'm not down with the allergy thing. He looked utterly pants

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Eggman said:
The bookies think so.

This is an interesting site. http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/tour-de-france/winner It not only aggregates all of the odds across the big bookmakers globally, but also shows any trends. Contador blew out overnight. Went from equal fave to distinct 2nd. Went from around 2.30 Fave to high 3s and even $4+.

I'm happy to take him on. I'm not down with the allergy thing. He looked utterly pants

This is all just a way the team will sort its budget next year. Get the odds up and then bet everything ;)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am going to say it now. I think Contador is done for this year's Tour. It's not happening for him this year and taking the form we have seen right from the start of the season along with Brian Smith's and Robert Millar's comments where a teammate said he was struggling in training, suggests there is not much evidence of an upturn in form in the near future. Now the argument is it's all about the Tour. This was also used after Oman where it was said he would perform in T-A and when it didn't happen there for him it was put off until Pais Vasco and then the Dauphine when he was found wanting there. Just denying the obvious. It's happening too regularly now in one race after the other and on what I have seen so far just inside the top 10 would be about the best result(if he's lucky) he would attain at the Tour.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I am going to say it now. I think Contador is done for this year's Tour. It's not happening for him this year and taking the form we have seen right from the start of the season along with Brian Smith's and Robert Millar's comments where a teammate said he was struggling in training, suggests there is not much evidence of an upturn in form in the near future. Now the argument is it's all about the Tour. This was also used after Oman where it was said he would perform in T-A and when it didn't happen there for him it was put off until Pais Vasco and then the Dauphine when he was found wanting there. Just denying the obvious. It's happening too regularly now in one race after the other and on what I have seen so far just inside the top 10 would be about the best result(if he's lucky) he would attain at the Tour.

I'm going to say it too. If he doesn't win it, he'll be in top tree and top 5 worst scenario. Who's his opponent anyway that's flying like Froome besides Porte. Purito isn't stellar either, valverde the same. Evan, he still got some giro leg. Quintana and Tejay? they are still young and non proven 3 weeks contender yet. Hesjedal isn't stellar either with his giro form. Gesink? forget about it. Andy? with TT, and a glimpse here and there, it would until next year to see Andy again.

gooner said:

That is,He is doing exactly the same year than others, but with less level. He was in Arrate one minute and a half behind himself in 2009, and sucking wheel.
He has always excuses, but always in the road very strong, the happy times for it finished.
Except something strange happen, he is just to be top ten in The Tour, no more, even Rogers could do it better probably, or Kreuziger.
I understand his fans try to think in other way...but...
Valverde was bad today, ok, just 8 second better than Alberto, but with Valverde you dont know, he is maybe here taking easy... but Alberto always taking easy Dauphine did podium. He won Vuelta a andalucia, was ok in Ardennes, he will do Vuelta for sure, is another thing, The same for Purito, but Purito was good for this parcous.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I realise not everyone reads the clinic, so thought this may be relevant to the AC discussion.

Originally Posted by bangnz
I kinda believe his excuse of sinus/hayfeaver.. He kept rubbing his nose in yesterdays ITT

rain today= no pollen in the air = no excuses
but even if he stays with the skytrain today thats proof enough hes doping for you lot right?

I've seen this written a couple of times on this forum and it is incorrect (IMO). Advised by my own MD that rain can actually acerbate allergy problems, particularly if you have sinus problems, which I have.

Everyones different.

http://augustaallergy.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/its-raining-good-or-bad-for-the-sinuses/

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
I realise not everyone reads the clinic, so thought this may be relevant to the AC discussion.

I've seen this written a couple of times on this forum and it is incorrect (IMO). Advised by my own MD that rain can actually acerbate allergy problems, particularly if you have sinus problems, which I have.

Everyones different.

http://augustaallergy.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/its-raining-good-or-bad-for-the-sinuses/

Well, it´s the clinic, they have their own rules, Scientific facts, makes anything possible to fit in their world view, a lot of sick **** goes on in there, so no worries, the real world knows better. Of course you can have allergy reactions in rainy weather, just depends of which kind you allergic of.

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Of course you can have allergy reaction in rainy weather, sometimes rain can even make certain things worse, at least that is my personal experience.

I do hope AC get back to his old form, but find it doubtful.

I just had the chance to watch the Highlights....
damn---- I mean------damn!!!!!

WTF is up with Contador??

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as the Allergies- I myself am currently praying & begging for a drop on the pollen levels, so I can at least get some decent riding again--- thus I understand perfectly what he's going through--but I'm afraid by the time the symptoms disappear, he won't have enough time to build top form towards the Tour....:(

OTOH He looked so "uncomfortable" on the bike- his position was somewhat uncommon to what we've seen in the past-like so crunched/hunched down in a painful way to say the least.....:eek:

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Spider1964 said:

Everyones different.

Btw now it seems as if the rain wont come till after the stage is done

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I couldnt resist. :D I bet 100€ this morning on Alberto for the Tour win.:cool:

Belief costs this sum of money. That's probably more profitable than betting on Froome at 1.4 to 1 or something like that.

Taxus4a said:
I hope help Rogers in Dauphine.

f5e59635f6e0d7736933661267fb254832ab8808.jpg

it had to happen at one moment...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Foome just did enough to show everyone who's top dog. It looks like Contador will have a hard time winning back the 5min he's gonna lose in the TTs because Froome is the better climber as well.

TRENDING THREADS