• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 393 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, contador said he was feeling better and today's was a hard day for him. Hm, not good sign. But one thing I learned today, TDF isn't just about Ax3. What a fireworks stage. I'm quietly satisfied, that finally movistar put a clammed on porte's big mouth. Top form ey porte? Where's the rest of sky team? How come you loose 11 minutes from what you called the rider who chased form?. Good luck carving that back in ITT. Sky 1-2? yeah right.. Dream on mate, dream on. This isn't 2012 TDF.

Good news, TST still looked strong, particularly Kreuziger. I'm still hopeful (even though everyone has given up), that contador will slowly get better. He did horrible TT at dauphine, just to bounce back in the mountain. If he's old nemesis andy refused to rule contador out, why should we? The last time i check.. the fat french lady hasn't singing yet

andy's article after Ax3:
Schleck was reluctant, too, to write off the chances of his old sparring partner Alberto Contador, with whom he shared a memorable duel on Ax 3 Domaines in the 2010 Tour. “It’s hard to judge him today. There was the heat and his allergies, plus it’s the first mountain stage. There were plenty of people who lost time today – only Froome didn’t.”

Not in top 3? well I won't throw the towel yet. He wasn't far off from valverde *just 26 seconds*. (b/c valverde is no purito) To win it? yeah, with that amount of loss and definitely on next ITT, plus Froome strength, to win it would be his own alpe d'huez to climb for Alberto. If Kreuziger doesn't fade, maybe 2 TST in the podium. *girl can dream* :p Unless movistar is willing to unleash the colombian demolition derby with/without valverde best interest in mind.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Good stage. Contador smiling at the Cameras in the valley. More to come from him. Im sure he is enjoying racing, its better than being suspended. Wish i could ride my bikes. Enjoy the Tour while its here.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Did you see the Vuelta last year? :rolleyes::D

No, but as the least and latest in the season of the Grand Tours, it is not surprising a deteriorating cyclist would have the best relative success there. Particularly with such fine Spanish steak so nearby.

warmfuzzies said:
No, but as the least and latest in the season of the Grand Tours, it is not surprising a deteriorating cyclist would have the best relative success there. Particularly with such fine Spanish steak so nearby.

Tell you what, let us have a bet shall we? If you can finish the tour de france with 0.0000000 something % clenbuterol in you as your choise of dope while i'll ride with epo and you beat me, i'll grant you 3 magical wishes ;):D

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Contador wasn't good today again. In fact when Ruben Plaza was pulling Valverde during the flat with Froome hanging, Movistar was attacking Contador not Froome.

It seems they fear Contador in the 3rd week but IMO they are wrong. Contador will not be better than he has been the current season.

Forunculo said:
Contador wasn't good today again. In fact when Ruben Plaza was pulling Valverde during the flat with Froome hanging, Movistar was attacking Contador not Froome.

It seems they fear Contador in the 3rd week but IMO they are wrong. Contador will not be better than he has been the current season.

Personally I hope Contador will be a force in the 3rd week (and before as well, please), but your comment points to one of the errors many especially the Schlecks made last year. Fearing Contador all the way through the race made him a factor even if he wasn't one. Nobody attacked as they were all watching Contador...

Well he sure looked better than yesterday but I still don't think he can win this race. He looked under pressure more than once today, letting small gaps open and putting guys on the front to control the pace for him. We'll know on Wed just how good his form is or isn't. If it's decent and he really peaks in week 3, and has great recovery, he can podium and that would be a great success considering his struggles this year.

I'd love to be wrong Alberto, prove me wrong please :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador didn't look better. He looked **** today. If he was better he would have at least let Kreuziger attack but he didn't allow it cause he was afraid to be alone.

Miburo said:
Contador didn't look better. He looked **** today. If he was better he would have at least let Kreuziger attack but he didn't allow it cause he was afraid to be alone.

True...except for ****. He sure looked Better than yesterday. He covered Froome easily enough when Quintana went, but then was spent and put Roman on the front to control it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
? He was on Froome's wheel every time he reacted to Nairo. He didn't seem to have any problems.

Then why didn't he let Kreuziger ride? Besides many guys were able to follow Froome today, not just Contador.

Contador was still 7th yesterday, he wasn't gonna drop if the likes of AS didn't drop