• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 403 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DenisMenchov said:
Well, I said that he is too young, Carrols is the one who's claiming the opposite ;)

Only going by what I am seeing on the road. Yes he is still young, but he Burned Brightly at a young age, hence he has had the 6 years of peak performance generally granted to the best already.

2011 TdF he was still a major force, his showing was from Giro fatigue and injury. When he felt good he attacked and looked like Alberto of old.

2012 Vuelta he won on race savvy and tactics but the light of greatness was dimming. The acceleration was there but no stamina to hold it. I thought it was just race rust and his semi classic win bore that theory out to a degree.

2013 he has never shown any form of note, has been unable to find it and in this Tour has shown all the indicators of collapse :( The swift and hard collapse that the greats are prone to.

That doesn't mean he can't recover and become just a very good rider, garnering podiums and even wins in the right circumstances. Just that the burning light of greatness might no longer be there.

Geez I even selected him to be 2nd behind Froome on GC in the poll. Due to Hope. But his interview today put a wet blanket on hope :(

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Blind optimism probably not the best idea on the eve of the tt. Yall be back to hitting the bottles in 15 hours.

Nah, just got to not emotionally invest yourself too much in hoping for a great performance. ;) Besides, life's no fun when you expect failure and take a sad sack approach to racing. I've taken that approach to my own racing this year, and it sucks, no more though.

The Hitch said:
No seriously. If this isn't a work (i dont think it is, though i suppose it could be) then he either played all his fans for idiots this last year, talking himself up while knowing he wouldn't be good, OR, he really is an idiot. There are tests riders do before races. Riders who have won as many gts as Contador has knows what being in good form for a gt is. Contador knows this cos he has that climb he always does before a gt. Did he not do it this year or did he do it, see his time was minutes off his best but still thought he was going to win the Tour?

He is trying to keep hoping hitch! And you know that. Don't pretend you don't know that. Gee Hitch you're not a fair weather fan are you!

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am very confident Alberto will find a way to crack Froome in the mountains, and crack him really big!

Also my advice is not to count him out from TTs as well. Maybe the good old Alberto will have a few surprises for you even today! :)

isn't his saddle too high

BOzMQULCAAAys3Z.jpg:large

Carols said:
It can. I am 62, I've seen it happen to Hinault, LeMond, Indurain and Pantani. Read about it for Merckx; only had newsreels back then, he was done at 30. I did see Merckx in person when he was still riding though.

If they hang on grimly trying to recapture the magic it sometimes burns brightly again for a short time.

Lance was aided, he admitted everything up to his return in 2009. I don't believe his returned clean story.

Maybe I'm wrong; praying I am but it is like watching history repeat itself. The same history I've witnessed for decades; The fall of a Great Champion :(

Well, some people say that in spanish forums...

if Evans finished better this Tour, after made podium at Giro, what would you say?

There is a long time Evans losed Giro at Passo Coe...
Time han changed a lot... now Trek want with them fortys Voigt and Horner...

But anyway Contador is 30, Indurain was at his best in that age.
Even Valverde is older...

Has Contador rode more than Valverde or Evans??

Ou, well, if you win a Tour, is very different than if you do second, the people who win finish his career much earlier...

:rolleyes:

NO WAY IMO

Taxus4a said:

if Evans finished better this Tour, after made podium at Giro, what would you say?

Ou, well, if you win a Tour, is very different than if you do second, the people who win finish his career much earlier...

NO WAY IMO

You're like airstream. You'll never agree with anything a AC fan says.

The truth is, carol has a point and I'm sorry, I prefer to believe a 60 year old woman who's been saying this for a while now, who has seen multiple greats fail and fall, than a spanish bloke who defends chris froome and hates Alberto Contador and that's about it.

LaFlorecita said:

The truth is, carol has a point and I'm sorry, I prefer to believe a 60 year old woman who's been saying this for a while now, who has seen multiple greats fail and fall, than a spanish bloke who defends chris froome and hates Alberto Contador and that's about it.

I quote Carols,... and you didnt disscus my questions.
Focus the message, not the messeger.;)

Taxus4a said:
I quote Carols,... and you didnt disscus my questions.
Focus the message, not the messeger.;)

Okay

I don't care.

That depends on where cadel finishes. If Alberto finishes top 10 and cadel finishes better, I'd say, well done cade;

I don't know what you mean

yes. that doesn't tell us anything about Alberto.

Every cyclist is different as carol has been trying to tell us for ages now. The greats burn out faster so no use comparing him to valverde.

No. That doesn't mean he can't be declining.

That is not the point. The point is that Alberto is one of the greatest cyclists ever and Evans isn't. That's what carol's been trying to tell us. They come fast, burn very brightly and then all of a sudden the light switches off.

NO WAY IMO

Cool.

LaFlorecita said:
Okay

Every cyclist is different as carol has been trying to tell us for ages now. The greats burn out faster so no use comparing him to valverde.

That has no sense. Every cyclist burn out depend his genetics and depend on what thay rode in his career or what intensity...
evans has been froom paso Coe in the fight of GT, but not only GTm as well classic and a lot of races, winning from February to Octover, Valverde the same...
I know that Alberto has won important things, that is a fact, Lance as well, but I dont Know if he is greater than Valverde or Evans

Taxus4a said:
That has no sense. Every cyclist burn out depend his genetics and depend on what thay rode in his career or what intensity...
evans has been froom paso Coe in the fight of GT, but not only GTm as well classic and a lot of races, winning from February to Octover, Valverde the same...
I know that Alberto has won important things, that is a fact, Lance as well, but I dont Know if he is greater than Valverde or Evans

Then there is no use discussing this with you. Have a nice day.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Flo you think you could avoid quoting him please? He´s in iggy land, for a reason. ;)

LaFlorecita said:
BOzgZ1SCEAE2p0a.jpg:large

Frits van der Heide ‏@Fritsvdheide 2m
Coureurs aan t zweten en staff hangt maar wat rondt en eet ijs ! pic.twitter.com/2gQOXLWKp0

Hahahaha :D

Come on flo, you know the rules about posting things in a foreign language. -translate.

Btw I see you posted in another thread that Porte said something bad about Quintana but you didn't say what it was. What was it?

The Hitch said:
Come on flo, you know the rules about posting things in a foreign language. -translate.

Btw I see you posted in another thread that Porte said something bad about Quintana but you didn't say what it was. What was it?

it was said in another thread.

Something like what was he thinking, we were never worried about him, he read too much about attacking in the papers

the translation is not important really

the riders are sweating and the staff are just hanging around eating ice cream

LaFlorecita said:
it's just a question. I mean look at the difference with Roman.

I've always been told it's not good to have your leg stretched completely at the lowest point.

It looks to me like the rider on the right has his seat FAR too high. I assume Contador is on the left (or he's a lot heavier than reported :eek:)--definitely Contador, he uses a lightweight rear wheel

TRENDING THREADS