• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 465 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok why is it newsworthy if Alberto is going to be a dad... Surly it's just congratulations & move on.. Between Jens & Chava they have a football team..

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Gugashwill said:
I'm not sure the change of a team is smart at this point in his career.
Especially this kind of a change.

i have to agree with that. But i don't know what contador got in mind. Maybe being a first time dad, has changed his mind.. you know like wiggins, lost motivation to train hard since he'll be leaving his wife and future kid a lot.

I hope he doesn't leave saxo tinkoff. I hope the rumours about his falling out with bjarne isn't true. Saxo and bjarne were there through the thick and thin with him when he was down facing his clen case. It's really hard to see him leaving TST. The team are strong now and everyone seems to gel with each other.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I think Alberto needs to issue a statement on the matter asap. This kind of reckless speculation hurts everybody involved if not dealt with. He owes his current team that much.

Le Baroudeur said:
I think Alberto needs to issue a statement on the matter asap. This kind of reckless speculation hurts everybody involved if not dealt with. He owes his current team that much.

Its no that simple-there are contracts, sponsors & team duties, negotiations, all these issues in place related to Saxo alone for this remaining year-set aside this new project he's apparently linked to & what needs to be on the table for Alberto to even consider to join it. If he announces it officially- I expect to happen in January..

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
A hypothetical doubt: What are the things that should be ironed out, if AC is to join the alonso squad?

I m not quite sure about contract requirements, etc.

personally, i think AC is better off in a different squad.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Its no that simple-there are contracts, sponsors & team duties, negotiations, all these issues in place related to Saxo alone for this remaining year-set aside this new project he's apparently linked to & what needs to be on the table for Alberto to even consider to join it. If he announces it officially- I expect to happen in January..

He has a contract allready, as such he is in no position to discuss terms elsewhere. His current is team is the only project he should have any consideration about. He needs to come out and kill the rumour now, put his reputation on the line, If not his reputation is dead.

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
He has a contract allready, as such he is in no position to discuss terms elsewhere. His current is team is the only project he should have any consideration about. He needs to come out and kill the rumour now, put his reputation on the line, If not his reputation is dead.
Although he has a contract, I'm sure there's a clause which allows him (or Riis) to break the contract if there's a reason for it.
But that's not so important. The most important thing is that this rumor comes from Italian media and it's probably based on the stories from the past and nothing more.
So, Contador should really say something about the matter.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think the longer alberto issues a statement, it means that the rumors is more and more likely to be true? If he does move, what happens between him and bjarne? I thought they get along really well. He and saxo bank stood behind contador during his bad times. Where is the loyalty? he signed a contract for 3 years. If he knew that his friend is interested building a new cycling team, then he should have not signed 3 years contract? don't you think? So far he hasn't delivered what he is paid for. No GT win, no one week race win, just one stage win. Switching team seems to be like an easy way out to me.

Jelantik said:
I think the longer alberto issues a statement, it means that the rumors is more and more likely to be true? If he does move, what happens between him and bjarne? I thought they get along really well. He and saxo bank stood behind contador during his bad times. Where is the loyalty? he signed a contract for 3 years. If he knew that his friend is interested building a new cycling team, then he should have not signed 3 years contract? don't you think? So far he hasn't delivered what he is paid for. No GT win, no one week race win, just one stage win. Switching team seems to be like an easy way out to me.

Really? :eek:

Well, If you are talking about 2013, you are completely right on your opinions

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
Really? :eek:

Well, If you are talking about 2013, you are completely right on your opinions

yes.. I mean 2013. Not 2012. I thought he is supposed to win one GT every year with that kind of money? no? if not . then 4.5 euro seems like an easy money then.

side note: I hope bjarne would puke blood before taking oleg back. This guy is a jerk. After roche got the red jersey he gotta tweet something condesanding. Finally the team pay back the sponsor. As much as he was right to say that, but what a jerk. Imagine if he actually got his way running saxo tinkoff. I bet everyone can't wait to leave..

Jelantik said:
yes.. I mean 2013. Not 2012. I thought he is supposed to win one GT every year with that kind of money? no? if not . then 4.5 euro seems like an easy money then.

side note: I hope bjarne would puke blood before taking oleg back. This guy is a jerk. After roche got the red jersey he gotta tweet something condesanding. Finally the team pay back the sponsor. As much as he was right to say that, but what a jerk. Imagine if he actually got his way running saxo tinkoff. I bet everyone can't wait to leave..

Tinkoff has shown that he completely lacking in the class department and I imagine his tweets do absolutely nothing for team morale and motivation. His attitude is such that the sport is better off without his sponsorship and involvement.