• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 501 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
Watched the peoples choice classic today, the Tinkoff-Saxo boys looked awesome in their new kit. So easy to spot. ;)

Though this wasnt to lucky lool

BeWBYzhCUAA68Gh.jpg:large

chris juul-jensen ‏@JensenJuul 3h
Tried to get back on bike. Jays Karate chop kept me down. That's what 1 week rooming together has done to us

+1. They really stand out. easy to spot. Very cool

Asked if Alberto Contador may be a match for Froome and can aspire to win the Tour, Porte, who acted as a teammate of Contador during the 2011 season, displayed no doubts about Contador’s ability to seriously challenge for Froome’s Tour crown.

"Given the way he won the Vuelta in 2012, then yes! This achievement is not an ancient one. Contador performed below par in 2013 and Chris defeated him on all fronts, against the clock and in the mountains, but Contador never gives up. Physically, Alberto still has every chance of winning a Grand Tour," Porte stated.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/porte_contador_can_still_win_a_grand_tour/

Miburo said:
Contador gave up during the tour of 2013. He wasn't gonna win it regardless but he didn't really try anything (when froome was isolated).[/B

]Yea of course porte will be positive about Contador, no point in making him more motivated.

I'd like to think that he was undertrained and lacking the legs to mount an effective attack. It's not in his history to just give up. I suspect your statement is a smoke screen to clumsily cover your new found obvious hatred of the man. I've never seen anyone make such an abrupt about face in their support for a rider than you have. There has to be more to it than you are willing to admit.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'd like to think that he was undertrained and lacking the legs to mount an effective attack. It's not in his history to just give up. I suspect your statement is a smoke screen to clumsily cover your new found obvious hatred of the man. I've never seen anyone make such an abrupt about face in their support for a rider than you have. There has to be more to it than you are willing to admit.

I don't hate the man at all, i'm prob hoping more than any of you guys that he's gonna crush Froome. I've been a fan since 2007, a bad year won't change that.

But i'm not gonna ignore the facts. Froome was isolated at 130 km, the Contador i know would have done something, am i wrong? am i just being a hater?

Miburo said:
I don't hate the man at all, i'm prob hoping more than any of you guys that he's gonna crush Froome. I've been a fan since 2007, a bad year won't change that.

But i'm not gonna ignore the facts. Froome was isolated at 130 km, the Contador i know would have done something, am i wrong? am i just being a hater?

Sometimes you just don't have it. I can't imagine a scenario at the Tour where Contador wouldn't attack a rival when he's knows that rival is suffering unless his conditioning just wouldn't allow it. Somewhere along the line something went wrong in his 2013 form building. I'm not certain that he will return to the form that made him a dominant force but I just can't accept that he, as you believe, just quit.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Sometimes you just don't have it. I can't imagine a scenario at the Tour where Contador wouldn't attack a rival when he's knows that rival is suffering unless his conditioning just wouldn't allow it. Somewhere along the line something went wrong in his 2013 form building. I'm not certain that he will return to the form that made him a dominant force but I just can't accept that he, as you believe, just quit.

He could have used his team, use kreuziger but ok whatever. It's in the past i guess, let's hope things like that stay in the past.

Angliru said:
Hatred?

Oh come on. Contador made mistakes. People criticise him for it.

Deal with it. Don't crawl into some shell and shout hater at anyone who disagrees with you.

The Hitch said:
Hatred?

Deal with it. Don't crawl into some shell and shout hater at anyone who disagrees with you.

...and I'm entitled to agree or disagree with those statements. All evidence from Miburo's and your posts after the Tour led me to believe that there was something more there than just Contador "making mistakes" that led to the sudden turn of support. From one extreme to another can't be explained away by a rider just making mistakes. Maybe hatred is too strong a word but it certainly isn't the love in that it was prior to the Tour's ending.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
It´s really that hard to realize that AC just had a bad year, and probably only because of a wrongly planned race calendar and training schedule.

AC have a serious allergy problem, and with last years weather, especially in the spring, didn´t help him either, maybe hes a bit fragile in that regard, but if his preparations this year goes as planned, and he can stay healthy and control his allergy, theres nothing to suggest he cant be at full strength and be competitive in July.
Not to forget he also have the strongest team he ever had to to his disposal, and hopefully a fully functionally Riis by his side.

Let´s stay positive, the guy is not dead yet. ;)

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Hatred?

It´s a mistake if you dont have the legs?
Wonder how you got to that conclusion.

He didn´t attack course it would just have revealed how poorly his form was, why should anybody advertise their weakness to their opponents by a useless attack that you knew you couldnt finish anyway, you would just look desperate and stupid.

But I know, sitting in the couch and solve the worlds problems is for some people so easy, wonder why.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
He didn't attack because Movistar were already holding the pace too high. The only way to break that was have Saxo hold it even higher, but none of that breaks Froome. Movistar needed to wind it back a little before anything was possible. Movistar rode for 2nd place...and they got it.
Contador post ban is a level below what he was. IMHO I think he's on the level of Rodriguez and Valverde, below that of Froome, Nibali, and Quintana. Bad year...well it's 18 months now. I think he is capable of making the top level, but i have no idea if he will or not.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
karlboss said:
He didn't attack because Movistar were already holding the pace too high. The only way to break that was have Saxo hold it even higher, but none of that breaks Froome. Movistar needed to wind it back a little before anything was possible. Movistar rode for 2nd place...and they got it.
Contador post ban is a level below what he was. IMHO I think he's on the level of Rodriguez and Valverde, below that of Froome, Nibali, and Quintana. Bad year...well it's 18 months now. I think he is capable of making the top level, but i have no idea if he will or not.

AC at his best isnt below Froome, also Froome showed some weakness in last part of the tour, I would say its a fair match up.

We can only hope they are at their best, it would be an epic battle and a treat.
Was it in TA we have the first showdown?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
AC at his best isnt below Froome, also Froome showed some weakness in last part of the tour, I would say its a fair match up.

We can only hope they are at their best, it would be an epic battle and a treat.
Was it in TA we have the first showdown?

Yup. Lots of contender. Looks like Froome, (possibly wiggins), Evans, Molema, Gesink, Uran, Van den brook, kreuziger, roche so far. Add quintana, nibali, tejay, purito and valverde, porte, horner, we can get star stud giro/tour/vuelta contenders in one race. *my dream of course*:D

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tirreno_Adriatico_2014-Startlist

TRENDING THREADS